Some pics and a question about head gaskets on a Gen 1 ..

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my head gaskets done two year ago and so far no problems. But I have a craze question. The area in the pictures were the bottom part of the head meets the block is only a water galley right? I added red arrows to the area in question.
So no oil can ever seep put of these areas right? Because it is a Only coolant area of the head.

BELOW the old gasket and leak area in red. Coolent
You must be registered for see images attach

Below is the new gasket installed at bottom of the head region in red. The white and geen crap are residue from the old leak
So the query is that only Coolent can seep from that area right? No oil?

Reaction score
It appears it could be coolant and the gasket(s) is deteriorating. When you replaced the gaskets did you use the revised MLS gaskets or the older original OE ones? From the looks of the picture it appears you still have the older type installed.

Utilizing the old style gaskets inevitability becomes a vicious cycle- in order to stop the problem you need to go with the revised MLS gskts. They can be purchased from Viper Specialties or other reputable tuners on board.

Good Luck,
Doug :drive:

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears it could be coolant and the gasket(s) is deteriorating. When you replaced the gaskets did you use the revised MLS gaskets or the older original OE ones? From the looks of the picture it appears you still have the older type installed.

Utilizing the old style gaskets inevitability becomes a vicious cycle- in order to stop the problem you need to go with the revised MLS gskts. They can be purchased from Viper Specialties or other reputable tuners on board.

Good Luck,

Doug :drive:

so only Coolent can seep from that area right? No oil?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had my head gaskets done two year ago and so far no problems. But I have a craze question. The area in the pictures were the bottom part of the head meets the block is only a water galley right? I added red arrows to the area in question.
So no oil can ever seep put of these areas right? Because it is a Only coolant area of the head.

BELOW the old gasket and leak area in red. Coolent

Below is the new gasket installed at bottom of the head region in red. The white and geen crap are residue from the old leak
So the query is that only Coolent can seep from that area right? No oil?

Hello,

To answer your questions:

-Yes, that is a coolant gallery. There is no oil there.

-It is however possible for oil to "wick" through a gasket from a different area.

-Based on what I can see from your photo, it looks like your new gaskets may be improperly torqued. The embossing does not look fully compressed. Pictures CAN be tough to tell, but yours sure looks like it has an issue.

-Leaks are also possible due to improper prep or something laying on the block, but this is fairly rare as the design is robust, and this would certainly be a coolant leak only.

I hope these answer your questions, let me know if you have additional needs.

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

To answer your questions:

-Yes, that is a coolant gallery. There is no oil there.

-It is however possible for oil to "wick" through a gasket from a different area.

-Based on what I can see from your photo, it looks like your new gaskets may be improperly torqued. The embossing does not look fully compressed. Pictures CAN be tough to tell, but yours sure looks like it has an issue.

-Leaks are also possible due to improper prep or something laying on the block, but this is fairly rare as the design is robust, and this would certainly be a coolant leak only.

I hope these answer your questions, let me know if you have additional needs.

Thank you for your help...I will keep an eye on it..Coolent gallery not oil gallery was the answer. :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Dan pointed out the worst part though - it looks like they used the old gaskets, not the new multilayer gasket. Good luck in the future, but you may be replacing them again.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan pointed out the worst part though - it looks like they used the old gaskets, not the new multilayer gasket. Good luck in the future, but you may be replacing them again.

Negative. That replacement gasket in the second picture is absolutely MLS.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you for your help...I will keep an eye on it..Coolent gallery not oil gallery was the answer. :)

I would not be keeping an eye on it if I were you. I would be pulling the valve covers and trying to torque a couple of the head bolts. If they move you need to re-torque all of them immediately.

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cometric gaskets, new head bolts, upper and lower manifold gaskets and Buhler Dodge in Eatontown NJ in 2011.

The old gaskets..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456