Someone needs to write a book

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would pay good money for a book for Viper owners that want to be DIY'rs or at least learn what's needed to keep your machine running.
It could be a simple as a compilation of all of the great posts on this site. Performance data, what the part nos. are for regular replacement items, stuff like this, along with tips on how to remove a hood, etc... you get the picture.
Any ideas? Suggestions?

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, RX..."mods" is a four-letter word as far as "management" is concerned. I'm supposed to pay this thing off first (halfway there) before I can touch it. Yeah, right...so...I'm just eeeeeeaaaassssiiinnnnggg into the mods. A set of K&N filters here, a chrome emblem there...so slowly, she barely notices!

How's this sound? We'll get the gals hooked up--they'll start talking and we can sneak off and add a few more horsepower. We'll be back before they even notice. What do you think?

RC

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll have the cats pulled off before they bring out the appetizer. She won't notice a thing until you start it up to head home. Hummm. Honey, does the car seem louder, or is it just me? VROOOOM!!

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racetech,

We had this problem before, relating to reproduction window stickers. In short, you won't get much cooperation if you are the beneficiary of the book's sales. How about providing your expertise gratis and letting the VCA use the book as a fund raiser? That would get the tricks and tips flowing from a lot of the Viper Techs and Racers.

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never said I'd be putting the book together for profit! It takes 6 months to 2 years of continuous work to create a respectable book. Obviously, I couldn't do this, except in spare time. At that rate, it would drag on for years before release. If a book is to happen, I'd need a LOT of help (time donated) from other club members. That was the reason for my "let's talk" comment. Then I'd be happy to turn the result over to the VCA for a fundraiser. You can't make a profit anyway, selling only a thousand books or so.

A reproduction window sticker? That would be a bit less work than a book, I'd think. Anyway...I have made over 40 posts here and have enjoyed sharing information with all. That's one of the best parts of being a VCA member!

RC

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad. I made the mistake of assuming you would do it for profit when you said "that's what I do".

I'm sure a lot of Viper owners would really appreciate your help.

I think we (the Viper Community) should do it, but we need to begin by you laying down a format. After all this is what you do.

Should the information be delivered in a book or here on the VCA site, like the illustrated upgrades? How do you divide the material? Do you use the same categories as the factory workshop manual? How do you organize things so that the guy running a basically stock car can find his info in amongst the radical mods?

I think if you were to credit individual editors in whatever you determine to be sub-sections, you will find a great deal of cooperation.

OP
OP
B

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the VCA members are willing to contribute then it could start out as simple as a PDF document that we could download for free to print out or order printed copies from VCA. I think it would be a good idea to get a few experienced tuners or techs to be on an editorial board to oversee the content and maybe try to classify the contributions as to being; God's gospel, good advice, or a downright myth.
I would like to see it as a complement to the shop manual.

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A pdf book is the way to go, at least at first. In low printing/binding quantity (under 1000 units), it costs about $12-$20/per (for a laminated color cover Perfect Bound book w/black & white Docutech generated internal pages). With a pdf file, we get away from that. People could download it & bind it with a spiral or 3-ring notebook.

The biggest problem still is the writing/assembly time. Getting the info is only about 10% of the battle--then you have to re-write, edit, add graphics & pics...if the book were say...150 pages, that's right at 900 hours of work. That can be reduced a little if you dump the graphics. But...pictures really are worth a thousand words. The good news is that I have Microsoft Word templates for all of this that I'd provide.

I think it's also a great idea to form a "book committee". That committee could help divide responsiblities--writing, editing, graphic development, photography, etc. The committee should also decide which is the "right" information. That process can really step on toes.

I've had the good fortune of working with professional racers who win (many) world championships. Prior to working with them, I had built a number of successful drag race and stock cars. But wow...being around true professional world champions was quite an eye-opener.

Through them, I became aware that there is a LOT of mis- and dis- information out there. Some of it appears here, posted by well-meaning people. With the help from my professional racer connections, I may be in a good position to sort through some of it. But, other than having performed a few simple tasks on my own RT/10, I have no direct experience or connections with Viper-specific maintenance & modifications. I'm still in an "information gathering mode" prior to starting major mods on my own Viper.

Anyway...we'd need representation on the committee by people who have direct experience in these areas. I have some worries that it could be somewhat political, as advice often boils down to using one particular product.

Any thoughts?

RC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHunter