someone want to steal my 96gts for 48k?

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
super clean 7200 mile blue and white gts coupe/super clean and a steal at 48k/anyone?or how anout my car and about 17 or 18 k cash for your higher milage srt or?let me know something people.
thank you.gts has no scratches chips dents ect except the rock chips on lower front fascia/they have been touched up/
i have online pics.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just gotta do this for Joe. Worth 40 max right Joe?

Just kidding. 48K for a blue/white GTS seems in the range to me.

OP
OP
S

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jason heffner went over the car and i had the head gaskets and timing chain cover replaced just for security.he pulled the pan ect/he can vouch for the engine.this car is awsum and runs and looks like new.come look it over.youll be happy

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What mods, if any, do you have? Also, the 96 had a long list of factory problems. Don't have the list in my head, but have it on the puter. All of those issues corrected?

OP
OP
S

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the car was bought from mershons a few months ago/its still on there site under recently sold cars.im not sure what recalls were done to the car but i do know its a steal at 48k.clean inside engine compartment and all/tires still have the nubs/let me know if your interested

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is the list of TSB's and recalls on the 96 GTS.

Pay the money for a car that has had the following work:
Time chain gasket replaced
Intake manifold gasket replaced
Alarm system, door glass and seals and door uprights replaced with 97 units
Side sill replaced with 97 units
Find a car that has not had the two recalls for the chassis (rear) and steering box bracket done - they butchered those cars and the work was necessary only if the car was tracked. I put a lot of track miles on my car, did not have these recalls done and my car passed a detailed inspection at the beginning of every track season.

How to tell if this work was done:
If a 96 GTS has more than 10K miles it will have had the timing chain gasket and Intake manifold gasket replaced - OR the originals are fine and should not give a problem if they have lasted that long.
Alarm system - 97 unit flashes the lights instead of tooting the horn when you turn it off
Door seals - look at the top of the uprights - if the seals are in one pcs you have the 97 fix - if theseals have come apart - that work was not done.
Side sills - replacement units have bolts instead of rivits forward of the door

Recall on steering box bracket - fix was to bolt in supports
Rear Chassis - pull up the carpet in the trunk - particularly the vertical surface forward of the spare tire - If that work was done they cut a great big hole in that surface.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is the list of TSB's and recalls on the 96 GTS.

Pay the money for a car that has had the following work:
Time chain gasket replaced
Intake manifold gasket replaced
Alarm system, door glass and seals and door uprights replaced with 97 units
Side sill replaced with 97 units
Find a car that has not had the two recalls for the chassis (rear) and steering box bracket done - they butchered those cars and the work was necessary only if the car was tracked. I put a lot of track miles on my car, did not have these recalls done and my car passed a detailed inspection at the beginning of every track season.

How to tell if this work was done:
If a 96 GTS has more than 10K miles it will have had the timing chain gasket and Intake manifold gasket replaced - OR the originals are fine and should not give a problem if they have lasted that long.
Alarm system - 97 unit flashes the lights instead of tooting the horn when you turn it off
Door seals - look at the top of the uprights - if the seals are in one pcs you have the 97 fix - if theseals have come apart - that work was not done.
Side sills - replacement units have bolts instead of rivits forward of the door

Recall on steering box bracket - fix was to bolt in supports
Rear Chassis - pull up the carpet in the trunk - particularly the vertical surface forward of the spare tire - If that work was done they cut a great big hole in that surface.

Some of that stuff is WAY inaccurate.

With regard to the 998 recall. It IS important. It has been done correctly HUNDREDS of times and does improve the structural rigidity of your car. There is NO reason not to do it and should be done by a competent tech. And it is essential on a tracked car. The rear diff part of that only consists of adding a support brace to prevent twisting of the diff under hard acceleration. There is NO BUTCHERING is cracks are not found and you shouldn't have to pull up the acrpeting to see the brace.

Intake gaskets were more of an issue with 1997 cars.

There were no changes to side sills - they are all hydroformed aluminum - don't know where the "replacement" statement comes from.

There was a TSB for the alarm system, but it involved moving the hood sensor, I think. No reason to replace with a 1997 unit.

Door glass and gaskets can be a concern - thnk they were changed in 1998 - as ViperMad had the same issue with the moulding on his 1997, IIRC.

We put thousands of very trouble free miles on our 1996s and many track miles. it never left us stranded or was truly broken. The issues mentioned above are relatively minor and the recalls can be done and done well - IMO - it's better to have them done before the parts are not available and you CAN'T find anyone that knows how to do it.

vette2viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni...sounds good to me! I just ask questions and receive answers. Then, I ask more questions! If this list is wrong, 96 owners should jump in and point it out...as you did. I appreciate your input.

Money is not really an issue with me, but I don't want to just throw it away foolishly. Therefore, I am trying to get as many details as possible. Thanks to all on this board who are kind enough to jump in with their facts and opinions. I look at opinions as being very important. Yes, you must sort through them, but each opinion causes you to think and that is a good thing. :)

Thanks again... :2tu:

P.S. If my list is wrong, then all 96 owners win, don't they?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,
Just trying to shed some light on the issues. Overall, Vipers are VERY reliable. We routinely track our car(s). There are hundreds of cars running at driver's ed events and there are a LOT of stock parts on the Viper Racing League cars. They are close to being bulletproof - I know our street cars were.

There are issues - and they seem to be a batch here and a batch there - in every year. Early 2000 oil burning, first year 1996 stuff - although there are VERY few engine issues and it was the first year for the "lightweight" engine.

The issues are relatively minor (with exception of the oil burning should you get a car out of warranty) and most could be dealt with by any competent mechanic. Parts are expensive, but that's just the deal with a low production vehicle.

You are wise to research cars before making a purchase. 1998/1999 cars are probably some of the best sorted out cars - pre-ABS. 2000 early cars had issues, but after the cylinder sleeve issues were fixed, they are reliable, too. 2001/2002 take all the improvements and bring them all together.

I think the best thing is to 1) buy from an educated owner - one who has owned the car for a decent length of time so that they can give you an accurate description of it's history - first hand. and 2) have a GOOD Viper Tech go over the car and look at all the recalls / issues / TSBs and give an overall assessment of how hard a life it's had.

There are many GOOD cars out there and paying a little more for a one/two owner car IMO is a worthwhile investment.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 must have had a 96 alarm put in it as it doesn't flash the headlights with arm/disarm, only honks horn.....