Sound System in the Viper.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's one hell of a head unit, thanks for the info, I'm going to have to check this out...

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alpine head unit - Alpine Amp - Focal Speakers - changed the center sub to JL. Sounds good accept the sub is weak. I'm having a custom center console made right now with 2 - 8" subs. Should be done next week. I'll post when finsihed.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, I bidded on these 6 12" woofers, but lost the auction. However, I did locate some online if anyone is interested, I can try to find the links. These have HUGE magnets, and would probably look bad ass installed with the magnets facing out (thats one thing Audiobahn is known for and why they make the baskets look so cool). Otherwise, the magnets will probably take up the entire baffle air space!

I'm not sure I will ever even hear any bass sitting at a light or driving, since I have no cats and Dynomax, but it will be nice for car shows, to crank it up a little and hear a nice full range of sound. Local audio shops can build "kick panel" type woofer enclosures for an 8" sub and also make sub enclosures for the console as well. I may end up going that route, but for now, I'm just having a little fun and seeing what I can achieve with what I have.

"-FROG-" keep us posted, I plan on upgrading my stereo and am very interested in how the new subs and inverted mounting work out...

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RoadKing ~ Definately take pics and let us know how it sounds. Thanks to all of you on the advice.

ANYONE know the measurements for a box in the footwell of a RT/10? Any suggestions?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate to say it but...
:needpics:

Having said that since I have a GTS I plan to put the subs in the tire well (in a box of course). I'll fire them off the hatch to give it a loaded horn effect. That has always worked well in the past. We did 18 (I think) 10" isobaric subs in an old Ford ****** hatch and managed 148Db. Speaking of, Frog mentioned the dual voice coils. I have 8 12" dual voice coils in my pickup. They are ran off a 600 watt at 2ohm PPI and have gotten 140Db out of them. Old system though.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate to say it but...
:needpics:

Having said that since I have a GTS I plan to put the subs in the tire well (in a box of course). I'll fire them off the hatch to give it a loaded horn effect. That has always worked well in the past. We did 18 (I think) 10" isobaric subs in an old Ford ****** hatch and managed 148Db. Speaking of, Frog mentioned the dual voice coils. I have 8 12" dual voice coils in my pickup. They are ran off a 600 watt at 2ohm PPI and have gotten 140Db out of them. Old system though.

NICE!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a Poineer DVD head unit in there now. My buddy liked the display and started browsing ebay for one. We saw some cheaper models, go for around 400-500 bucks, which is actuallt pretty cheep. The one I have in there now, goes for about $1300. I wish it was touch screen though and there's a few things I don't like about it, but I'm just being picky.
You must be registered for see images

I have that exact head unit in my mustang, and I like it but there are a few problems with it, like there is no volume knob on the headunit, only on the remote. There are a lot of new TV/DVD combos out there that are much better and clear up a lot of the issues you are probably talking about. I would suggest buying a tv/dvd/nav combo though if you want to go the TV route, it is definitely worth it. A shop I used to go to all the time was selling a TV/DVD/NAV combo for around 1300 about a year or so ago. I think you should start buy upgrading your interior speakers only though, and take it in stages. If you see thats not enough, keep going. I would get quality speakers though, not something like sony's xplod speakers. Audiobahn makes some great speakers, but the best speakers I have ever heard in person was Focal's utopia line. you will most likely need an amp, but they are the most crisp speakers you will ever hear.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those 8 inch subs with the white inverted cones should give you enough bass, you said that the bass is real poor, I would make sure the subs are in phase first before spending more money on subs. sounds to me like there are out of phase.
My system sounds pretty good, but I hate the fact that there is hardly ANY bass response whatsoever.... I just got my car a few weeks ago and luckily, the guy did an o.k. job with the equipment.

There's a Poineer DVD head unit in there now. My buddy liked the display and started browsing ebay for one. We saw some cheaper models, go for around 400-500 bucks, which is actuallt pretty cheep. The one I have in there now, goes for about $1300. I wish it was touch screen though and there's a few things I don't like about it, but I'm just being picky.

The door speakers are POLK full range speakers, that produce some pretty good mid and high frequencies. Stock tweeters are there, but were not hooked up when I got the car. I have no idea why, maybe they are blown. I need to hook them up soon when I get a chance. I wonder if there are any things I need to know about before removing the door panel?

In the trunk, there was a small 150 watt Rockford Fosgate Punch amp, but it was only a 2 channel and I wasn't able to seperate the crossover for any bass to my cinter console speakers. I pulled it out and replaced it with my 600 watt Jensen 4 channel/bridgable amp with tons of crossover options.

The speakers in the cinter console were Sony X-Plod, but they reminded me too much of boat speakers in that location. Although they looked nice, I wanted to experiment with some other speakers I had laying around the house.

I swapped the X-plode 3 ways out with some actual "woofers" to try and gain a little bass. Since the baffles are just too friggin tiny, it's difficult to obtain any bass response, with the small amount of air space. I LOVE the way it looks now, especially at night, when the white woofers reflect an ambient blue glow, from the head unit screen.

Since I'm still not getting any bass from the actual woofers that are in there now, I decided to try something a little different. I ordered some more speakers on ebay, that are actual woofers as well. They can hold a little more power, so I expect, they will sound a bit better. But my plan is to install these new speakers, with the basket facing outwards. This will give me MORE airspace (because on a typical install, the magnets, basket and cone are robbing the air space inside the baffles). If I invert the speakers, I will gain probably 30% air space, since the magnets will now be on the outside. Of course, I bought some speakers with a nice chrome basked and large chrome magnet, so I think it will be cosmetically appealing, but this is all experimental for now. I'll post pics and make a report, if anyone is interested...
Here are the 6 1/2" woofers I plan on installing inverted, when they arrive. The basket isn't as nice as the Audiobahn, but they were only about $50.00 for the pair and I'm just kinda experimenting for now.

FYI, I bidded on these 6 12" woofers, but lost the auction. However, I did locate some online if anyone is interested, I can try to find the links. These have HUGE magnets, and would probably look bad ass installed with the magnets facing out (thats one thing Audiobahn is known for and why they make the baskets look so cool). Otherwise, the magnets will probably take up the entire baffle air space!

I'm not sure I will ever even hear any bass sitting at a light or driving, since I have no cats and Dynomax, but it will be nice for car shows, to crank it up a little and hear a nice full range of sound. Local audio shops can build "kick panel" type woofer enclosures for an 8" sub and also make sub enclosures for the console as well. I may end up going that route, but for now, I'm just having a little fun and seeing what I can achieve with what I have.