Sparkplug Boots Melting

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a stock exhaust system with new catalitic converters, the heat shields are in place. the under side of my sparkplug boots are semi-melted, they are not touching the headers or any engine part and snapped into place properly. Almost all the boots are damaged and I just bought these wires. ???
:eek:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went down this path a while back... The socks/sleeves work well as long as there is no contact w the header. If there is contact or if it is really (1-2mm) closen MSD makes "boot armor" that works really well. These are custom boots that can handle the heat. Check out Summit or jegs for details on it.

Good luck!

JD

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What brand of wires are these?

Yes, let the rest of us know what brand your new ones are so we don't buy them (!)

To mention the mfg. on an open forum, I would rather not. I am hoping they will respond to my problem and allow me some options. I'm sure they have many customers that are very happy with thier new sparkplug wires and I'm the only one having trouble.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that the issue will exist regardless of manufacturer of wire.

silicone boots can't handle direct heat no matter what brand. if a boot is melting, there is a different issue w/ the vehicle that should be looked at.

I've used stock wires, taylor wires, ab's wires, magnacore, accell, MSD wires, and even jacob's wires and the times i had issues w/ the wires the problem was really in the vehicle and not the wires themselves.

intense heat at the manifolds means a) a lean condition, b) detonation, or c) you might have a cat problem. there are a few other issues but if the car is mostly stock then i'd look at these issues...

JD

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I just had new factory cats installed to pass Calif. smog the car is not lean, Viper tech had told me the car runs great. I thought I would try a new sparkplug wire set that looks good. The first set wires I recieved from the Mfg. were all the wrong lengths ( or the cyl. #'s were marked on the wrong wires)but the Mfg. was very quick to respond and correct the problem. Now since I sent them a message about the boots they have not responded. I looked at the "lifetime warranty" and it only mentions if the wire is pulled from the boot that it would not be replaced. So I'm still waiting for a reply.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guys Ron purchased a set of wires from me. First time around he got some wires that were numbered wrong.(Correct lengths but numbered wrong. I sent him a new set ASAP and also reimburst him for shipping the wires back to me). Simple mistake of mislabeled wires. I took care of it quickly.

As far as the boots go we use the exact same materials that MSD and Magacore uses on the boots. These boots are silicone boots. If these boots are touching headers then they can burn just like OEM or any other type of wires on the market. I would use a sock or hi-temp sleeve to put the boot inside if you were having issues with the boot. But again these boots are the SAME Material that all other manafacturers use. Our wires are high quality in our design. I hate to say this Ron, but out of the hundreds of wires I have sold you are the only person that has had an issue with boots burning up on an OEM system. So like the post above says..you may have some other issues at hand? If your car is running lean then it would still pass emissions.

As far as the warranty goes I want to see a picture of all the wires where they are burning up. The boots are at the correct angle just like the OEM wires are. You also said in your PM to me that you have stock headers so these wires should fit perfectly. I am sorry you are having issues and I will see what I can do to correct it if indeed it's Quailitywires.com's fault just like I have done before. If it's the engine or installation of the wires, then that would not be covered.

Again, we have sold hundreds of sets of wires with not one issue til this date. (except the mistake of the mislabeled wires).

Ron, send me pictures to [email protected] and we will see what's going on.

thanks

P.s. You sent me a PM yesterday 10/18/06 and I have been out sick with the flu for the last couple of days. So I just sent you a PM back. Which today is the 19th.

For future reference on the limited life time warranty.

Spark Plug Wire Sets
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Supersedes any other warranty statement

Qualitywires.com, as the Manufacturer, warrants this product when purchased new, to
be free from defects in materials and/or workmanship in accordance with the following.

Warranty commences the date the product is purchased.

Warrants solely to the original purchaser [not transferable] for the life of the engine on which it
was originally installed.

Qualitywires.com liability is limited to the replacement of any wire set, which, under normal conditions of use and service, proves to be defective in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the vehicle on which it was first installed. Excluded from this warranty are failures caused by misuse, negligence, abuse, improper application, installation or operation. For a warranty replacement if failure does occur, return defective wire set with proof of purchase to: The place the original purchase was made or mail the defective wire set with proof of purchase, postage paid, and return authorization number* to:
Qualitywires.com.

No returns accepted without authorization number visible on box.

This warranty, however, does not cover any labor costs incurred in diagnosis of
defects, removal or reinstallation of the wire set, nor does it cover any other
contingent expenses.

Qualitywires.com is not responsible for injury, property damage or other consequential damages, such as telephone calls, loss of time, inconvenience etc. arising directly or indirectly out of the use of this product.

Some states do not allow limitations on how long an applied warranty lasts, and some states do not allow the exclusion of limitations of consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights and you may have other rights that may vary from state to state.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good explaination AB. I still think something is up w the motor. I'd love to see some installed pics... More curious which headers are used and whether they are coated or not. And whether heat shields are used on them.

JD

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB , I will take some photos of the boots and wire location on the car( most likly Sunday will be my first chance). As I mentioned before they are not touching any other part of tne engine and the deflection angle of the boot is inline with the wires. Thanks for taking care of me with the first set of wires and giving me a set of sparkplugs for having a problem. Like I mentioned in the PM if we could add a sock / heatshield around the boots.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock spark plugs have heatshields. did you happen to remove those, BTW? if so, that could be part of the issue... not sure. looking forward to seeing your pics!

JD