SPEC 3+ slipping

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well…it didn't last as long as I had hoped…maybe 15K miles. After doing some exhaust work over the weekend, I was checking out the new mufflers and I guess I was hammering it pretty good through a few 1/4 mile runs and 3rd/4th gear pulls. Started to smell the infamous clutch smell. So once I sensed the clutch was slipping a bit, I did a few additional 3rd/4th gear hard acceleration pulls and though its hard to tell definitively since the car pulls so crazy hard and I'm out of the gears pretty quick anyways, the smell pretty much makes me think the clutch is slipping (ROE w/17 PSI boost..yeah baby). Its not smoking or billowing clouds of smoke, just a hint of clutch smell coming from underneath (not brake smell…similar, but its not the brakes). I had thought that the SPEC 3+ would work even better once it got some heat into it, but maybe not. I'm running a Findanza so maybe the insert simply needs to be replaced. Regardless, I'll drive it a bit more and see if it gets progressively worse.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A suggestion, try the Spec 3 that is petal type construction - that type of construction is made for high torque. In addition, they shift better than a full disc type clutch. On the other hand, 15K on a high hp car is not bad.

Well…it didn't last as long as I had hoped…maybe 15K miles. After doing some exhaust work over the weekend, I was checking out the new mufflers and I guess I was hammering it pretty good through a few 1/4 mile runs and 3rd/4th gear pulls. Started to smell the infamous clutch smell. So once I sensed the clutch was slipping a bit, I did a few additional 3rd/4th gear hard acceleration pulls and though its hard to tell definitively since the car pulls so crazy hard and I'm out of the gears pretty quick anyways, the smell pretty much makes me think the clutch is slipping (ROE w/17 PSI boost..yeah baby). Its not smoking or billowing clouds of smoke, just a hint of clutch smell coming from underneath (not brake smell…similar, but its not the brakes). I had thought that the SPEC 3+ would work even better once it got some heat into it, but maybe not. I'm running a Findanza so maybe the insert simply needs to be replaced. Regardless, I'll drive it a bit more and see if it gets progressively worse.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean petal type construction? Got any links to the friction disk you are referring to?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EllowViper,

If you feel like switching teams from Spec to Bad Boyzz Garage, I'll give you a great pedal feel and release point with massive torque capacity. Our clutch kits are designed to handle severe duty cycles and have many race seasons to back it up..

My phones always on to help out the Viper Nation...

Thnx and just offering an optional performance solution.

Bad Boyzz Garage
Toddy
[email protected]
(916) 505-9026

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SPEC is not known for consistency in manufacturing.....I've had some unfortunate experiences with them. Have heard good things about Bad Boyz products but can't say from personal experience....yet!

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Bad Boys clutch from Toddy and is amazing so far. Grabs and holds amazing at 1000tq and this is just the dual disk. The pedal feel is what sold me on it. I didn't want to have use all my energy to push the clutch pedal. I would recommend his clutch

Thanks Toddy
Anthony

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of a full face disk, the disk has five petals or branches. High torque trucks commonly have this type of disk. It is also much lighter, therefore, syncs up quicker for shifts.

What do you mean petal type construction? Got any links to the friction disk you are referring to?

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update...well folks, I appreciate the *** and outreach with options & ideas. All great stuff that I'll archive for future use. I drove the car to work this AM being very easy on the drivetrain. When I got off the tollway, I started to get wiffs of the same awful smell sitting in traffic and started to do some thinking. This can't be the clutch since I hardly used it during the drive. I recall I used a small rubber isolator under the side sill on the driver's side exhaust hanger to prevent the new muffler from vibrating against the frame. COuld it be this silly little grommet getting hot making this smell I thought? Made perfect sense given the exhaust work I had just completed. When I got to the parking lot, sure enough...this 1/2 dollar-sized rubber isolator I had used wasn't as tolerant of the exhaust pipe temp as I had anticipated. So 'burning clutch smell' mystery solved. Whew...now I can drive it ******* the way home!!! I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing stuff. So I'm a bit embarrased by all this...LOL. Just goes to show you....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update...well folks, I appreciate the *** and outreach with options & ideas. All great stuff that I'll archive for future use. I drove the car to work this AM being very easy on the drivetrain. When I got off the tollway, I started to get wiffs of the same awful smell sitting in traffic and started to do some thinking. This can't be the clutch since I hardly used it during the drive. I recall I used a small rubber isolator under the side sill on the driver's side exhaust hanger to prevent the new muffler from vibrating against the frame. COuld it be this silly little grommet getting hot making this smell I thought? Made perfect sense given the exhaust work I had just completed. When I got to the parking lot, sure enough...this 1/2 dollar-sized rubber isolator I had used wasn't as tolerant of the exhaust pipe temp as I had anticipated. So 'burning clutch smell' mystery solved. Whew...now I can drive it ******* the way home!!! I'm usually pretty good at diagnosing stuff. So I'm a bit embarrased by all this...LOL. Just goes to show you....

Great to hear, I just installed a 3+ on a TT car. I sure hope it holds.............:D Also selling a 3+. Check the classifieds.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad you figured out it wasn't the clutch causing your issues. I was thinking the 3+ usually doesn't give off a burn smell anyway due to it's metallic content. The 3+ is arguably the most capacity/per $dollar clutch you can buy for these Vipers.