Speeding ticket poll

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
And that thread was closed by the site.

Keep your head out of the sand. I'm faster and remember more than you.

Apparently you forgot "and better". Gee, I was looking forward to becoming part of this...

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's now off topic, but had a friend get pulled over doing 105 in a 60 in my red Viper.

Found out 3 things from this experience.
1) The cop wanted to haul his butt to jail, but didn't because they didn't want to be responsible for towing and possibly damaging the car that wasn't his.
2) He later called the court house and said he was leaving for overseas and wanted to work with the DA as he could not make the court date. They did a deal over the phone for $200 and 4 points, "reckless mountain driving".
3) My friend is a lucky bastard.

For me, 13K and no tickets in the Viper. In fact I have been pulled over the last 19 times and have not gotten a ticket in various other cars and situations. I just know #20 will be a doozy and being in a red Viper won't help.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, 13K and no tickets in the Viper. In fact I have been pulled over the last 19 times and have not gotten a ticket in various other cars and situations. I just know #20 will be a doozy and being in a red Viper won't help.

My goodness Milkman, 19 pull-overs with no tickets. What's you secret? Is it *******??? :lmao:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently you forgot "and better". Gee, I was looking forward to becoming part of this...

Come on Markk, you are a part of the forum. :) I like your little poll. :) Dave has a good point (he usually does and many times they are quite an enjoyable laugh), but it is no attack on you. I, myself, refuse to post my ticket history as I don't want to be a victim of Instant Karma. :cool:

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To, georgethedog I have no clue why I am good at getting out of tickets. I've even had a few arguments with the police at the time and don't know how I got out of those either.

#19 was in Mexico a couple of months ago and I think I got pulled over just because. As soon as I remembered the word for lawyer in Spanish and pulled out my cell phone they let me just go.

#11 was most memorable because I was with a friend talking about how I had been pulled over 10 times with no tickets and low and behold we pass a county officer doing like 80 in a 50. I turn to my friend and go "Watch this!" and I just pull over and wait for the patrol car to come up. I explained why I was driving fast and that I was making time before a mountain pass where I would be driving very slow. The officer let me go without even checking license and reg. My friend was astonished.

My motto is don't play stupid, know what you were doing, don't admit anything unless asked directly (ie Do you know how fast you were going? "Yes.") and Never break more than one law at a time (like speeding and tail-gating, broken light etc). Try and make it easy for them to determine you are not a threat on the road and maybe they will let you go. Even if they "started" the ticket I have argued (more discussed) they make the ticket a warning instead.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The cops in my province are all colourblind.;)Revenue collection is the name of game and you don't need to do excessive speed here to get a ticket .Friend just got a ticket going 7 kmh over the posted limit .The government gave the police the power to be judge , jury and prosecutor :crazy2:They seem to forget they're employees of the public not executioners.Good friend of mine is a retired LEO , and he told me that he hated to be on traffic duty pulling people over for driving little over the speed limit. He was glad when got the job with the criminal investigation unit as a photographer.He said it is unfortunate that half his colleagues told him were enjoying the traffic duty:eater:
My car is silver w/blue stripes and got one ticket with it so far;)

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
53 in a 35 this summer coming home from a Viper club run/lunch meet. $125, no points. Little backwoods town (Cresent City, FL). 96 B/W GTS.

Last edited:

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only time I got a ticket in a Viper was in my Steel Grey Gts . I had been waiting on delivery of my 08 for a year, since I put a deposit down on it . Dealership that is 2 hours away called and asked if I could be there before Five . It was around two in the afternoon . I had to get a certified cheque , registration and insurance and make it to the dealership. Got all the paper work hopped in the car and took off . Got pulled over doing 110 in a 70. Showed the cop my paperwork told him I was on the way to get my new Viper . He laughed put the ticket down to 10 over the posted speed limit . Said drive save and let me go .

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The law attempts to pound square pegs into round holes. Your viper is classed along with the lowest, crappiest, most terrible handeling vehicle when it comes to velocity. Heck, you're subject to the same rules as a 30's original when it comes to speeding.... Even my 16 year old gen 1 out-performs most cars built today in every handeling category but I still can't drive it faster than Miss Daisy will allow.

So I don't (most of the time).

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
102 in a 65 - racing - black ($500 fine, suspended license)
70 in 65 - white ($280 fine, 1 point - taken off after attending school)
95 in 65 - green - warning
95 in a 65 - black - warning, officer was called away on an emergency
45 in a 35 - black - $300 ticket, 1 point
45 in a 25 - black - $300 ticket, 1 point, confiscated nun chucks from passengers seat

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my ticket was written "127+" in a 65, with no fine on the ticket just a court date (actual speed was slightly over 150mph), cost me about $2500 in fines and lawyer fees, and mulitple driving classes, and a 1 yr loss of liscence......I found the copy of the ticket a few weeks ago and have it stuck on my fridge, to remind me how stupid I used to be.....o wait I get that reminder every month when I get my car insurance payment!:(

RED/silver Gen 2 GTS

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, this is not nearly as exciting as your all's and it wasn't in my Viper b/c I've only owned it a week now :) Anyway I was coming home from work (medical pilot at the time) in uniform and a cop running a speed trap where it goes from 35 to 25 hits me about 50' before the sign changing the speed (I don't even think this is leagal?) and pulls me over. I ask him what the problem was I was only going 2 over (37) and he says "no, you were doing 12 over it's 25 here". I argued and said how does he figure that since I wasn't to the sign, and that I was out on a 2 day trip and flew all night to get home blah blah, and he just said he wasn't going to argue with me and to take it up with the judge (*****). I should have known he would have been that way b/c he was like 19 with a shaved head and wrap around oakley sunglasses and seemed like he was on a massive power trip. So I just have a traffic lawyer I call and he takes care of it, was plead down to defective equipment 75 bucks for my lawyer + 119 for court costs (joke, legalized stealing if you ask me). Which brings me to my question for you guys paying fines and getting points, why not just get a traffic lawyer, they are cheap b/c they do like 20 at a time with the DA and you can go on about your business with no points?

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
A neighbor of mine is a police officer. He once told me that the speed limit changes when you can see the sign. I'd say it's a grey area, but it seems consistent with what the officer was doing in your case cfiiman. What was the "defective equipment" that was agreed to in your case?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be different from state to state. In NYS (at least last time I checked years ago), there have to be 2 speed change signs. The first is considered notice and the second, when you pass it, is when the speed actually drops.

Still hate to test it out.

Oh, on topic:

71 in a 50, lawyered down to 70 (5 to 3 points) in 2002. Bought V1 the next day. Nothing since. ;)

Last edited:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one for 70 in a 55 the DAY I BOUGHT the Viper. I was coming home form BJ Motors/VCA Crab Cruise. My wife was following me in my L with the GTS parts/exhaust in the back and she got one too. The Statey got 3 of us, the lady I was following, me and the wife. Talk about *****...!

Funny thing was the entire road was doing 70 but he singled the 3 of us out and ticketed us. :( :mad:

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have ever been stopped for speeding in your snake, indicate the color of the car and, optionally, how many miles over the speed limit you were going. You can participate whether or not you actually received a ticket.

2008 black coupe/graphite stripes. 91 MPH in a 70.

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL yes I think we should be able to openly discuss street racing too!

Or ditch the double standards and ban both.

As long as you praise the lowlife who gave you the ticket there is no double standard here. Educating Dave has not been an easy task.

Good atty and ticket dismissed
White and Blue Viper

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know alot of you will find this story hard to believe. And trust me, I am NOT proud of this at all. I was young and stupid at the time - and extremely lucky.
Me and the girlfriend (and her parents) were going to Key West during Christmas. We decided to rotate drivers and make a non-stop trip from Toronto all the way - so we could get there fast and maximize our time at the beach instead of on the highway. We were in Georgia and everybody was asleep in the vehicle - except me of course, because I was driving. It was a late 80's Nissan Pathfinder. I decided, that in the absence of an audience, I would gain some serious ground on the Interstate. I got in the left lane and worked my way up to 175 Kmph. I think that is about 104 MPH in U.S. lingo. Things were going great for a little while. After a bit, I noticed a car gaining on me from behind. At the time, in my region, all the cop cars were Chevy Caprice Classics. No prob, this looked like a Ford or a Mercury. (yes, I was very stupid) It was dusk and hard to see the paint colour, but this fool was sitting on my tail - so I pin it as hard as I can to get by the car in the middle lane to pull over to allow my tailgater to pass. The speedo goes over 180 Kmph. Then to my utter horror, the tailgating Ford suddenly turns on the blues and reds, revealing to me the State Trooper who was on my tail. My heart stops beating, my hands go cold, and I hold my breath. This can't be happening I say to myself. I am f***ed!!!! After passing the middle lane car I start pulling over and get ready for the guns and cuffs. What happens? Unbelievably, as I pull into the middle lane the Trooper flies by me and turns off his lights. I am assuming he had a more urgent matter to attend to. Wow.... I was so rattled, I pulled off the very next exit ramp and almost rolled the Pathfinder cause I was still going about 130 kmph on the turn trying to slow down. I've been fairly lucky in my life, but I know I have got to eventually pay the Piper on that one.....:D

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
203 And no ticket Red Viper.. The officer let me go, He went to the Acadamy with my brother...Then we talked about a half hour about the car.. Pretty cool..

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red 97: 2 years - 11,000 Viper miles zero tickets, zero stops.

I drive pretty placid though :headbang:

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[not in a Viper, but a classic 67 Buick 225]
I had an officer come racing up on my bumper on a lonely road one night and I wasn't aware of it being the police, so I sped up. The car would get closer and I sped up again. The car got closer so I slowed down and pulled to the side a bit so they could pass not knowing what the heck was going on. That's when the blue and reds went on.

I yelled at the officer before he had a chance to speak that he had just scared the crap out of me. I was afraid for my life with his antics. With all of the road rage going on and the fact I "may have cut someone off" in the last little town I was panicked. Plus, he can't ride on my bumper and scare me into speeding more. If he's going to pull me over, pull me over for the speed I was clocked at and come up with your lights flashing.
I then boldly said I wasn't taking this crap and slowly drove off. :nono: Not recommended, but it worked and he followed a bit, then just passed and drove on.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two tickets, both on the way to VOI's. One to Las Vegas 85 in a 50 and one on the way to detroit, 85 in a 60. Both in yellow Vipers.

I was warned that ALL Vipers come with three tickets in the glove box ready to be punched!

PBR

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got 89 in a 70 on the way to VOI 11.
I got stopped later that day in Nebraska and got a warning because I got down to within 5 mph of the speed limit as my radar detector went off
I got stopped the next day in Wyoming and got a warning because I got the speed down to within 5 mph again.

In Michigan and Indiana I've been stopped at least 4 times I remember for 20 mph+ over and every one of those times we had a chat about my car and I got warnings.

In New Jersey, I didn't get a speeding ticket for leaving the tolls "too loud" and "too fast" for the officer's liking, instead I got Careless Driving and made 5 court appearances before getting a bs conviction. $119 fine, but what still peeves me is the officer laughing on the way out of the courtroom that he finally stuck it to me.....

But I've still got my Viper and enjoying it every day and that puts a smile on my face, so tickets don't really matter much!

Regards,
Aaron

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R