speeding??

vyprtym

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of the forum members have actually received a speeding ticket when they were not speeding?

I live in Fresno Ca. (This is bad enough already--I know)
I was driving my viper and turned right, shifted into second, drove 300 yards in traffic making a left turn at the light and parked in a parking lot. Along came a motorcycle cop, hit me with the lights, and stated I was clocked @ 60mph about a half mile back. The problem is this-- I was not speeding (one of the rare times)---- this I know for a fact. When I asked to see the radar, he stumbled over a few words and showed me a 56 on the gun-- I questioned him about the difference of 60 (which would have made it 20mph over and a bigger fine) to the 56 on the gun. He stated that he would give me a break and write it for 56. I had a passenger in the car that totally agrees with my lack of speeding. Long story short-- how many of you members have gotten bogus tickets just because of jealousy or ****-ism.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never gotten a ticket in the Vipers. But I have been stopped in my other cars when I was not speeding. Usually because I am not afraid to pass a cop if they are going under the limit.

Viper rolls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulled over in my BMW while doing the speed limit and others were passing me. I think it was the BMW tax.

Went to court, brought diagrams, argued my case and was given probation before judgement. That means the ticket would be dismissed in 12 months if I went without another violation.

I was still pretty pissed, spent the entire day in court and then had to spend the entire next year really trying to stay below the speed limit.

12 months later I had no additional tickets and the ticket that I got (while I wasn't speeding) was dismissed.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have every right when you get a ticket to be mad at someone.

Mad at yourself, the cop, the planet, the civil engineer that designed the damn road, the little old lady doing 20 in a 30 that when you finally got around her you "busted loose" for a moment to get even, and the list could go on.

But how often are you mad when you speed and don't get caught? Which in the case of myself, if I'm on the hiway and traffic permits, you can bet I'm a candidate for a small citation. But I only get caught maybe every 5 years or so.

So ask yourself, yeah, this one kinda *****, but how many miles have I racked up "for free?"

I deserve every ticket I've ever gotten. You likely deserved that one whether you were speeding at that moment or not.

Just pay it or take defensive driving or something and get on with life.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving back from Sonoa on 121 I came upon the 2 mile passing lane and it was time to get passed the grape vine gawker. So I down shifted into 2nd and pulled out around him and throttled up to pass. Well a Calif HP was coming the other direction as I passed the slower car. I then saw him do a 180 and he got behind me. To make a long story shot I got the red light and pulled over. He told me I was going 83 in a 55. I told him I was just passing and it didn't seem like I got to 83mph. He looked at me and quote. (In a Viper) I didn't argue with him. I just told him I was passing and he then told me I can only go 55 to pass. I said ok. He gave me my license back and told me to drive safe. Man was I ever relieved. I sent the HP office in Napa two round table Pizzas. Just said thanks.
Since then I am careful on this strip of passing lanes. I have found it's a real good place to get tagged on radar. I respected his judgement not to give me a ticket and have not exceeded the limit there. No matter who is going slow.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mad at yourself, the cop, the planet, the civil engineer that designed the damn road, the little old lady doing 20 in a 30 that when you finally got around her you "busted loose" for a moment to get even, and the list could go on.

But how often are you mad when you speed and don't get caught? Which in the case of myself, if I'm on the hiway and traffic permits, you can bet I'm a candidate for a small citation. But I only get caught maybe every 5 years or so.

So ask yourself, yeah, this one kinda *****, but how many miles have I racked up "for free?"

I deserve every ticket I've ever gotten. You likely deserved that one whether you were speeding at that moment or not.

Dave, you sound just the kind of person that would agree with putting those "little black boxes" in our cars to record our driving habits.
Wouldn't it be great if we received a citation in the mail every time we went 1mph over the speed limit? We deserve it right?

Maybe we should allow the cops to just right tickets to drivers randomly. They dont' need proof of guilt since everyone is guilty, right?
Why spend $$ on radar guns and special equipment.
Heck, Obama's economic relief plan should just be to send out speeding tickets to every licensed driver to cover those tickets they should have gotten but weren't caught. Dave, you would be willing to pay a few of those wouldn't you? Or since you are so righteous, you should keep track of everytime you go over the speed limit and send Texas your fines.
Dave, you're a funny guy but your logic is just what is driving this country into the ground.

sorry for the rant
:rant2:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yehp for awhile there I was getting stopped practically EVERY time I went out in my Viper, wasn't speeding, pulled me over for all kinds of stupid things...where's the front plate(In doesn't require one and I was driving in OH) daaah!, you were going 5mph over, don't think your tail light is working, just a random insurance card/license check

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never caught speeding, I just pick my spots wisely and when I do speed, I don't speed for a long time. Look at tickets as a tax on speeding. Don't kid yourselves, a certain amount of jealousy comes into play....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, you sound just the kind of person that would agree with putting those "little black boxes" in our cars to record our driving habits.
Wouldn't it be great if we received a citation in the mail every time we went 1mph over the speed limit? We deserve it right?

Maybe we should allow the cops to just right tickets to drivers randomly. They dont' need proof of guilt since everyone is guilty, right?
Why spend $$ on radar guns and special equipment.
Heck, Obama's economic relief plan should just be to send out speeding tickets to every licensed driver to cover those tickets they should have gotten but weren't caught. Dave, you would be willing to pay a few of those wouldn't you? Or since you are so righteous, you should keep track of everytime you go over the speed limit and send Texas your fines.
Dave, you're a funny guy but your logic is just what is driving this country into the ground.

sorry for the rant
:rant2:

Man... You couldn't have twisted what I said more than you did. Ka-Blammo my man!

I said that as often as we do speed that when we get finally get caught we shouldn't complain.

So howTF did you get out of that I'm a supporter of getting ticketed for 1 mph over? Black boxes?

I would lay off of whatever you are on, or at least take enough that you will pass out and keep off of here.

Yeah, I bought a Viper because I want everyone to do the speed limit...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Georgia American muscle rules. Driving the Viper has gotten me out of plenty of tickets. Most cops just flip on their lights on then turn them off quickly for a warning.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, ive always viewed speeding tickets as more of a tax. I am fine with paying this tax once every few years to be able to speed everywhere i feal safe to do so.

$100 ticket everyother year = $4.16/month. no prob:D

also, my insurance will not raise rates untill excessive points are accumulated or a licence has been suspended, so no prob there. I know this because when i went to insure the viper i said to my agent: "Now lets run through a couple scenerios here. Suppose i was to get a 3point ticket, two tickets, ect... what would happen to my rates." She laughed and said; dont worry about it then explained the process to me and said; dont push it!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah... I'm gonna have to agree with Dave on this one. :cool:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It happened to me, well a few years ago, on my Motorcycle. We were in North Wales in Febuary, there was about 30 motorcycles in convoy to a Rally, it was raining and I was not speeding! The limmit was 30mph and according to my bike spedo that is what I was doing. I was riding along behind one of my so called mates, There was a local police officer up ahead trying to hide behind a small wall and was pointing a hand held speed gun at my Mate! He saw the police officer (who was not in a vehicle), the officer steped out into the road to stop my mate, but he waved and opened his bike up and dissapeared over the brow of a **** back bridge just ahead. The police officer then stopped me :( and by this time I had slowed down even more because he was in the bloody road :mad:

At first I thought he had pulled me up because I had a Noisy exhaust pipe on the bike, but he then said he had recorded me speeding 35MPH in a 30MPH zone!

To sum this up I was summond to court in north wales. The court case was at 10am in the morning which ment I had to take 2 days off work, stay overnight in a local hotel. Then the whole of the court case (apart from when they spoke to me) was conducted in WELSH!!!!!!! I also had to hire a welsh speaking attourney to put my side of the story! I ended up with a 3 month ban and a fine :mad: So if you guys ever come to England, DONT GO TO BLOODY WALES :mad:

Just to add a bit more, as a result of being banned for 3 months, I was walking home from a night out when a car pulled up, 3 guys got out of the car and beat me up, I managed to out run them, but ended up in hospitial having my cheek bone lifted out and my face black and blue on my 21st Birthday!! I have never been to Wales since ;)

:uk: Un-united Kingdom!

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn man... That *****!

The reality of it is though, that you probably stand just as much chance of getting a ticket in error than you do of dying in a plane crash or something of that nature. But sure, it does happen, and you get to vent about it on this forum. As opposed to those that win the plane crash lottery and have no further say.

Maybe that's why I speed all the time. Racking up those freebie miles before my PD lotto ticket.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been pulled over "for going 95 in a 75mph zone" when I was actually going about 83mph. That was in Montana and although it was Bull, it turned out that the cop wanted to warn me to watch out for Deer on the road. I think he also wanted to get a closer look at the Sapphire/silver of my car since he was headed the opposite direction on a divided highway.

I got pulled over because I had NO license plate on my car (permit taped in rear window) and someone thought I may have stolen the GTS. Cop couldn't understand why I was driving a supercharged Viper on snow and ice in Feb. (driving my new purchase home to Nimpo).

two other times I was pulled over for a 'better look' as near as I could tell.

I've never recieved a ticket in my Vipers.

Ted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try, try as I might I can't get seem to get a speeding ticket in my Viper. I got pulled over doing 130mph and got a verbal warning. Pulled over this year doing 104mph and got a 'broken speedometer' infraction. Got pulled over in my town for 'I heard you a mile away and knew you were speeding' but ended up with the Police officer's brother's electrical business card...no ticket. Nothing!!! I must be doing something wrong. It must be the color of my Viper...yellow. I call reverse-discrimination! I'm a victim.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try, try as I might I can't get seem to get a speeding ticket in my Viper. I got pulled over doing 130mph and got a verbal warning. Pulled over this year doing 104mph and got a 'broken speedometer' infraction. Got pulled over in my town for 'I heard you a mile away and knew you were speeding' but ended up with the Police officer's brother's electrical business card...no ticket. Nothing!!! I must be doing something wrong. It must be the color of my Viper...yellow. I call reverse-discrimination! I'm a victim.

I'd say next time... step on the gas and count to 500 BEFORE pulling over. I'll bet that'll remedy your victimhood. :D

You must be registered for see images

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Arizona is starting to really be a pain when it comes to speeding. The state spent millions on fixed photo radar and apparently the first quarter generated 50 million in fines. The state is going to be a billion dollars in debt and the response is to have every highway patrol turn into ticket givers also. I drove back from Phoenix this weekend and saw two portable photo radars and three highway patrol cars....each one had someone pulled over.

I do not have a ticket yet but it is coming.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulled over in my BMW while doing the speed limit and others were passing me. I think it was the BMW tax.

Went to court, brought diagrams, argued my case and was given probation before judgement. That means the ticket would be dismissed in 12 months if I went without another violation.

What diagrams? Did it help? Did they politely sit there and listen to you or did they laugh before you could finish your argument?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there should be another class on the drivers license for performance driving. If you have a car that is certified to safely travel at speeds over 140 and you have passed performance driving schools every year than you should be able to drive at speeds over the speed limit up to say 100-110 when conditions permit, not in school zone on Monday morning but maybe on open freeways. That would be nice :headbang:

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was young I outran a cop in our 68 charger. Was ticketed by cops after that for stop signs, had witnesses 2 times that I would make them stop. In two weeks lost my license for 3 years, risk insurance. Had to drive my father in an emergency and was caught as the cop was driving 35 in front of a 16 wheeler and a long line of traffic. He left me off, (first break.) Second break, was trying to get an ice cream cone home before it melted for my 85 year old mom who didn't get out much. Cop went into trunk and gave wife a napkin as it was starting to run down her hand. Actually believed this true story. I speed all the time but only 1 speed ticket, my friend got one go to Minneapolis and I got one coming back on I35. He had just got this new import and it had a big front windshield, it felt like you were going 45 when you were going 85. Got a break in he reduced the speed amount so the ticket wouldn't be so high. I don't think he believed me when I told him it was my first speeding ticket.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was young I outran a cop in our 68 charger. Was ticketed by cops after that for stop signs, had witnesses 2 times that I would make them stop. In two weeks lost my license for 3 years, risk insurance. Had to drive my father in an emergency and was caught as the cop was driving 35 in front of a 16 wheeler and a long line of traffic. He left me off, (first break.) Second break, was trying to get an ice cream cone home before it melted for my 85 year old mom who didn't get out much. Cop went into trunk and gave wife a napkin as it was starting to run down her hand. Actually believed this true story. I speed all the time but only 1 speed ticket, my friend got one go to Minneapolis and I got one coming back on I35. He had just got this new import and it had a big front windshield, it felt like you were going 45 when you were going 85. Got a break in he reduced the speed amount so the ticket wouldn't be so high. I don't think he believed me when I told him it was my first speeding ticket.

that post was all over the place... :dunno:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one the day I picked up my Viper on the way home.

The bad part was my wife was following me in the Lightning pickup truck and got one also. The statey targeted 3 of us out of the group. Everybody on the road was doing 70 and he decided to grab the black women in front of me, me in the Viper and my wife following me. Not sure why the rest of the road that was going the same speed got a free ride. :dunno: The black women gave him a real hard time so I knew she was getting one for being an A hole but was really hoping he would give me and the wife or atleast one of us a break. I can see when it is for safety reason but this was pure revenue generation. :nono:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little off point but an amusing Viper story. I hope that you do not mind. A few years back about fifteen members of our local VCA Chapter went on a morning outing. One of the members brought his turbo Porsche instead of his Viper. We were coming over the rise where 595 meets up with I 75 on our way to Alligator Alley. We were in fairly close formation ( light to no traffic) doing 90 MPH with the Porsche at the rear in what I think was a 55 zone at the time. As we came over the rise, we noticed a radar trap. It was too late to really do anything but the group did slow down assuming all of the pursuit cruisers would corral us off the road as a group. That did not happen. One cruiseer came out and stopped the Porsche. Later, when the member with the Porsche caught up to us after we stopped, we asked him what happened. He said that while speaking to the Florida Highway Patrol Officer he said: "Why did you stop me? What about all those Vipers?" The FHP officer said: " They're Vipers - American Muscle. You're driving a Porsche". And he smiled broadly. We all laughed and told him that we hoped he had learned his lesson about bringing a Porsche to a Viper event. Every time I think of this occurrence it brings on a smile.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cops do not, I repeat, do NOT prevent crimes----they merely take reports. It's all about revenue generation.