Speedtactics sill gills done

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'm done with mods now. These are real nice.
Measure 25 times then trace and cut
You must be registered for see images

OK that worked, throw some paint on the carnage...

even fits!

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the side sills feel any cooler now? Have you noticed how much water gets in there when you drive through a puddle?

Thanks.

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't driven it yet as its still winter here. I have a plastic shield made that slides into the sill horseshoe that I will use when I wash it or it starts to rain. When I had the sill on and open at the front (before I put the gill on) I looked down through the sill and made note of where the insulation foil touched the exhaust. I bent all areas away from the exhaust so there is airflow all around the cat and resonator. I took Dave666's advice and cut some drain and air outlet holes in the bottom of the sills where no one will see .

V

Venomiss

This turned out with a very nice finished look. Good job! What did you use to cut?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, how much? I may be interested in a set but cutting the wells makes me a little nervous. Not because I cannot do it correctly but nervous because I want to keep my car stock or at least keep the parts that I take off in case I ever sell.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah yes snow. I think I remember that stuff it's kinda white in color right. Since I've been in So Cal. I have not seen to much of that. We do get wet stuff sometimes I think it's called rain? I miss weather. :D

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will update as soon as I can drive it. I did run the car to temp. the other day in the garage prior to dropping the oil. The sills didn't get stupid hot anymore and I was amazed at the heat that came out of the new front vents with the car not moving. The sills on my car used to be reasonable while operating but would get scary hot if you were sitting and especially just after shut down they would get cooking.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good man, just curious on how much it helps with temps

I went through the "heat" issue with my 2001, and tried everyting BESIDE the vents.. In my opinion, the vents are THE BEST solution to this problem.. Its an airflow issue.. I tried no cats, high-flows,roe wrap.. Nothing really worked.. The high flows helped the most, obviously..

Personally, I just never wanted to cut my wheel wells up, in fear it would damage re-sale. But after selling my car. I can honestly tell you, doing this WOULD NOT have hurt the sale one bit. In fact, The guy who purchased my car, has already planned to do this.. So, in hindsight. shoulda,coulda..

There have been a MILLION posts about this.. Airflow is the key to reduce side sill temps..

nice work..

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any luck on driving your car with the side vents installed. Summer is coming and I'm thinking I want to do this on my car if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it.
They are very cool. Can touch with hand. Keep in mind I went to hi-flos at the same time so it is a combined result. Make a set of shields for washing and when you get caught off guard in the rain. I found some hard black plastic, cut to shape, stuck some of that reflective heat tape to it and slide them into the sill when needed. A plastic push rivet holds them on.
Best of both worlds

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I'm naive on this, but couldn't the heat coming out of the sills damage the tires if you are sitting in traffic or really pushing it on a road course?

Only asking because I am considering doing this mod to my car.

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got a set from DC performance made out of stainless mesh, very nice fit, looks great and is very functional. Easy install to.:2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting but I had no side sill heat problems W/O cats or now with high flows from Jon B. Just luke warm to the touch. Me thinks the stock cats are the problem IMHO and not airflow. You just have to drive fast enough to keep them cool. Same for dust on the wheels or on the back. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting but I had no side sill heat problems W/O cats or now with high flows from Jon B. Just luke warm to the touch. Me thinks the stock cats are the problem IMHO and not airflow. You just have to drive fast enough to keep them cool. Same for dust on the wheels or on the back. If the car is getting dusty you're not going fast enough. :DGTS Bruce

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Yeah, forgot to report back. Sills are never too hot to touch immediately after car is shut off or when it has been moving. Even hot idling wouldn't fry your leg. Keep in mind I did high flo cats at the same time.

I'm reallly pleased with the vents and haven't picked up any debris to speak of as yet

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does this seem like a fire hazard waiting to happen? I'm thinking like driving through dry debris like hay, cut grass, papers etc and some of that stuff getting in there and starting to cook :evilmad:

I think a similar vent on the back would work just as well, and avoid the problems of water/ debris etc.. It's not like the vent in the front of the sill is getting a lot of ram air effect anyway, and the vent on the back would work more like a vacuum to pull hot air out as the car is moving...

Just a thought

Those do look really great though! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery