Sport Compact Car Magazine Ultimate Street Car Challenge Skidpad

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the roll cage has been put into my car and the corner weighting has been executed to perfection, I was very eager to see exactly how many g's my car would pull on the skidpad......

On some large sweepers, and entrance and exit ramps, I have always felt the car pulling quite a bit more lateral g's than a stock Viper when compared back to back.

This was a 200 ft. skidpad that, quite frankly, was not I pictured in my mind.

When I picture a skidpad, I envision a smooth asphalt pad that is squeaky clean.

==> This one was far from that to say the least. It was definitely equal for all the cars in the contest though.

This skidpad was a parking lot that was sandy and dusty with some finer gravel.

Dave Coleman, SCC skidpad hotshoe drove all the cars including mine.

This test goes in both directions to make sure the car is not corner weighted and biased to go one or the other direction better.

The final # is the average of the g's pulled in both directions.

After a genuine effort, Dave Coleman got my car to pull an amazing 1.094 g's average for both directions.

To me, this did not seem very impressive as a stock Viper pulls around 1 g on the skidpad.

Dave Coleman from Sport Compact Car assured me that, for a 3500+ lb street car on the sandy and dusty skidpad there, 1.097 g's was fu#$&*^ PHENOMENAL. He said the highest # they have ever gotten was some 2,000# car with slicks. So I guess I did alright.

The 2100# Ultima pulled 1.13 g's and got the 1st place. That car was so light that the tires hardly even made any noise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950