squeaky clutch

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS is developing a squeaky clutch. Is this something I can just spray with WD40, or do I need some form of grease to lube it with? Thanks for you help.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clutch makes a squeaky noise intermittently when its cold outside. Luckily, its rarely cold in GA, so I have just dealt with it. I think I made a post about it way back when, but cant remember what the suggestions were.

smfettig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 94' with a squeaky clutch. So I went to a Dodge dealer and spoke to a Viper tech.He quoted me $400 to take the clutch pedal assembly out do whatever. I lost my hearing at $400 so I dont know what else he said. Needless to say my pedal still squeaks.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
could have a bushing on the pushrod going bad, they will usually squeak on their way out...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lubrication. It works on date night, it works on linkages.

eh, not so fast. The squeek is usually from the plastic bushing wearing out, and the metal to metal contact results. If it is left to go... you get to replace the clutch master cylinder after the pushrod eggs out over time. Adding lubrication to this can actually accelerate wear if the lube used attacks plastic.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eh, not so fast. The squeek is usually from the plastic bushing wearing out, and the metal to metal contact results. If it is left to go... you get to replace the clutch master cylinder after the pushrod eggs out over time. Adding lubrication to this can actually accelerate wear if the lube used attacks plastic.

ugh... i like dave's suggestion better (cheaper, easier), but can't rule out anything. Where do we get the plastic bushings and how would I replace the current one? Anyone want to do an illustrated howto?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ugh... i like dave's suggestion better (cheaper, easier), but can't rule out anything. Where do we get the plastic bushings and how would I replace the current one? Anyone want to do an illustrated howto?

lol, this is the EASY stuff!

I have a couple of them in stock, if I recall, they are all of 5 bucks or so, and take all of 3 minutes to change.

1. Lube the pedal pivot.
2. Change the bushing.
3. End of story.

It should almost be preventative maintenance. Replace them every 5 years or 25K miles, whatever comes first.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree lubing it is a bandaid, but the bushing is likely UHMW PE, which should not be attacked by any common lubricants such as WD40, nor the dry PTFE that I suggested.

Sounds like if you can take a looksie at it to determine the condition that may be a good call.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone got a pic of the bushing in question? For $5, I'll change mine for the heck of it, but prefer to know what I'm changing before I lay upside down under my dash with blood rushing to my head for 45 mins while cussing that I can't find the part I'm suppose to replace

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just guessing, but...

Yes Chad, I did have to set my morning beer down to snap that pic. You owe me for this...

You must be registered for see images

Coulda just duct taped your camera to your shoe and set timer... get your beer priorities straight! :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree lubing it is a bandaid, but the bushing is likely UHMW PE, which should not be attacked by any common lubricants such as WD40, nor the dry PTFE that I suggested.

Sounds like if you can take a looksie at it to determine the condition that may be a good call.

The problem is that the bushing will crack to peices as it falls apart, and if is squeaking, it may already be at that point. It is made up of multiple "legs" and a "basket" that houses the shaft. As it wears, these peices begin to spread apart, crack, etc. If the bushing falls apart entirely, it wont just squeak- the pushrod for the clutch will fall off the pedal! imagine that happening when a car is in front of you at a stop and the clutch pedal falls apart while you are in gear, causing the car to jump into the other car? or if you car needs to be towed for something this dumb?

All in all, for 5 bucks and 3 minutes... its not worth not replacing.

FYI; The bushing is where the clutch master rod connects to the linkage. There is other linkage contained that could squeak on Gen-2's with adjustable pedals, but they can be lubed.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is that not where my Gen 2 yellow arrow is pointing?

I could be wrong with my pic.

Yes, that appears to be it. Its certainly the right location, the only thing that throws me is the shaft color- every one I have seen was a Silver/nickel color, that one almost looks sprayed with something (and also appears to be rubbing something as well)

What year is your car dave? The bushing design looks like the oddball version of what I have been talking about, but it might be the picture, cant tell for sure. There is more than one design, though I dont recall the cut-off dates on them. I believe it is Gen-1 early gen-2 and Gen-3 are all the same, and later gen-2 is the oddball. Same idea, but one uses a separate clip to hold it on.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is your car dave?

Kanobe-O-Wan...

You must be registered for see images

Sorry.

'01 GTS.

Camera duct taped to shoe while beer is on workbench...

Everything looks like untouched OEM under there.

Especially as I just spent WAY to much time on my head wedged in there putting in my shift beeper.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
lol... I didnt even look at the sticker.

Confirms what I figured, thats the other version. Still check the bushings though if you start to get squeaky!

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have the photos from this topic? My GTS has recently developed the squeak and I'd like to fix it if I can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950