SRT-10 Gawk Factor (or lack thereof)

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Give me a freakin' break...appeals to women?? What are you talking about? This is the closest thing to an American made Ferrari!! I have had my fun in a 355 Ferrari and this new SRT beats it hands down!!!!

Combo of being a real convertible and having the muscle of any other road car...Anyone would LOVE to drive it!!

There are plenty of women driving both the Gen I & II's!!! Maybe Daniel just wants to sell his car to the highest bidder and he hopes to generate some extra attention.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey S2000! (Gotta say it)

Several girls have made comments to me that they like the new Viper... being more of a "girls car". Not many girls owned a GenI,II. Most were guys. We will have to see if this changes much with the SRTs.

The SRTs do not stand out in a crowed like the prior cars. I bought a Viper to stand out. If I just wanted to go fast, I could have bought an 03 Cobra.

I drove Chris's car last week. It is so refined compared to my car. It is hard to tell that it is fast. It is quiet and smooth. I like my radical cam and rumble.

Jerry

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well put Chris and we know from your past pictures that the ladies really do dig the SRT!!! Fine by me!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT-10 Viper may be more of a "girls car," but that does not make it less of a "guys car." It just means more sales for DC! which is good for everybody, since that means they keep making the Viper, and it keeps getting better and better, and stomping on more and more of its "enemies!" *grin*

You must be registered for see images

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
POSTED BY GTSVIPER:

"But then again... I don't live with my mother like FinalGTS..."

But then again, you werent 17 when you were able to buy a Viper yourself, now were you? Dont give me crap.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for the SRT owners - has anyone ever used the word "cute" when referring to your car?

That'd drive me f'n nuts....

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me the meanest looking car possible...please.

Exactly.

As a female owner of both a GenI and II, I was literally pi$$ed off when I saw the GenIII. It's interesting to me that the car appeals to more people. That is a good thing.

If you can afford to get what you like, get it. Why does it really matter what others think?

I just want a really bad *** looking Viper. And that to me would be a Comp Coupe.

:cool:

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Daniel, maybe you should buy your mom an SRT, then she can give you and your GTS a bad case of whoop a$$!! :D

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to disagree but the feedback I get in the SRT is at least as favorable, if not more than my prior RT's. The car looks and is much more sophisticated and mature(not so cartoonish).. The proof is in the pudding though, when i am out and about people say they "LOVE IT", and so do I.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is an awesome car. If there were no previous Vipers made and this was the first year I think everyone would be in love with the design.

Having said that, there was a prior car. It was a groundbreaking vehicle and ventured where no other American companies dare tread. There will be no replacement for that car. I personally feel the comparisons are a bit unfair. The SRT is an awesome performing vehicle that any enthusiast would be happy to drive. The design is (IMHO) a calculated deviation from the outrageous design in order to glean broader appeal (which I feel is working).

For those of us who like outrageous (See: 68 Hemi Dart, any wing car, 69 1/2 6-pack RR, etc) you have it, stick with a GTS/RT and enjoy the fanfare. Drive down the street in a Daytona and see how many people think its goofy and ridiculous. You have to be one of those people who like that kind of stuff. As far as performance comparisons who really cares? The GTS is fast the SRT is faster and the Hemi Challenger is the worst overall performer of the 3. Hemi Challenger is worth more than 10 times its original purchase price, wonder why that is?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno about the SRT being a 'chick' car, but there's no debate in our household -- Liz likes the SRT much better than the Daytona. It attracts less attention, it's a convertible, and (dare I say it) she thinks it looks 'cute'.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See a lot of young Ford engineers taking home Aston Martin test vehicles near my house.....

Working for Ford I get to drive some of the new vehicles home few months before they go on sale too. Maybe they'll let me drive a new GT-40 home when they ramp up production. Then again they probably won't.

Motor City,
funny you mention the Ford engineers taking a whirl in the Aston's...I've got a slew of digital camera pics I took buried in here somewhere of an employee sleeping in a Green Vanquish outside Fairlane with his feet hanging out the window. :shocked: Way to take care of the 230k car...

You work for ford? What no 03 Cobra? Add a chip and a pulley and it's just as fast as your viper for half the cost dude :rolleyes: :p

I'm looking forward to racing this year. I'll finally have the power to back up all the racket this thing makes. ;)

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sure doesn't have the gawk factor of the original vipers or anywher near that. I really doubt that an SRT at a Mercedes dealership that looks like a S2000 would have a crowd around it.

George, tell you buddy to sell it and make some money off it while he still can and buy a real viper. The new SRT's are only going to become easier and cheaper to get while they make more of and the original vipers harder while they don't make them any more.

I think it as this way and compare them

RT/10/GTS=First Gen Camaro=Best years, worth the most. Classics

SRT=Second Gen Camaro=Ugly, nobody wants, worthless.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James you obviously have never seen the S2000 as it does not even resemble a Viper. It's too bad to see that so many GTS owners are turning on SRT owners - such as you.I would have thought that the pure performance of the SRT would have made a Viper owner, such as yourself, think it is a pretty hot car. I think you probably know little about the performance of the SRT - hopefully some day soon you will take a good a$$ kicking from an SRT.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the local donut shop this morning where all the hot rodders (and lot's of industry execs) hang out. The SRT was a big hit. More people came over to see it than they have for my RT/10. The majority thought the car was great.

Final...I still didn't live with my Mother at 17. I took care of myself. Time for you to grow up junior. Money doesn't necessarily mean you have wisdom, good judgment or are able to intelligently relate to others. When you alienate all around you, you'll hopefully figure it out.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked the looks of the GTS Viper as well as anybody, but I am astounded that people feel it was an original looking car, it being very derivative of an AC/Shelby Cobra. That being said, As soon as I saw the new convertible, I made plans to trade my 00 RT/10 in, as I felt that it made my car look completely dated. I also must admit that I preferred the original lower profile fenders far better than the reconfigured batmobile fenders they added to try to keep owners of the old car happier. I would have also been happier if the car were transformed into a mid engined roadster with finger shifting, so I am clearely not as concerned with tradition as many others here. I'm in it for the performance, and as a Convertible guy who bouht his first 1970 Corvette convertible at the age of 16, I am willing to buy whatever car pleases me the most, not necessarily the next version of the last car I owned. With very few exceptions, these cars get few miles per year put on them and there is no reason anyone has to get rid of a car they love just because a new version comes out. Also, I was really pleased that the Graphite was going to be one of the colors, as It has less Gawk factor, which for me means I am much more able to fly under the radar of the federales. I was quite disappointed when they changed it to black as I feel the car suffers with a paint that has no flop to the color.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor City,
funny you mention the Ford engineers taking a whirl in the Aston's...I've got a slew of digital camera pics I took buried in here somewhere of an employee sleeping in a Green Vanquish outside Fairlane with his feet hanging out the window. :shocked: Way to take care of the 230k car...

You work for ford? What no 03 Cobra? Add a chip and a pulley and it's just as fast as your viper for half the cost dude :rolleyes: :p

'03 Cobra??? Yeah if I was only into buying a car based on value for the money and speed. :D I got the Viper because of its semi-exotic looks and exclusivity plus the speed. But it looks like you already realize that's why I wouldn't care less for the Cobra. My daily driver will always be a Ford as long as I work for them, but a Mustang just won't cut it for my fast toy. A GT-40 though, hmmmmmm. Gotta save a lot of pennies though for one of those.

As far as the Aston Martins, I saw a Ford test vehicle Aston Martin Vanquish tooling around the Fairlane mall parking lot a few weeks ago. Had primer paint in back and some kind of camoflauge decals on the side. Door dings all over it too. Kind of funny to see a very high dollar car look like that. But it is for test purposes.

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James you obviously have never seen the S2000 as it does not even resemble a Viper.

Actually it does

hopefully some day soon you will take a good a$$ kicking from an SRT.

Still waiting, but doubt it. I never lost to a Honda or plan to in the future. jk ;)

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense to the SRT guys, but I've seen a few around here and they just don't do it for me. I was hoping I would grow to appreciate the design, but it hasn't happened. I really think the older gen GTS's and RTs are real classic designs. Just kinda obnoxious but in a good way. The SRT looks too...well..Japanese. That said, I hate the new MB CLK desings as well. Real Volvo-ish.

Either way, it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy your car and stay safe!

REMIX

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GTSVIPER- OK, so you moved out early. Big Deal. I could have as well, I chose not to.

Anyways, what does my living at home and my age have ANYTHING to with some of the discussions on these boards? You just sound like another one of these run-of-the-mill jealous internet losers who needed to find SOMETHING to flame me about. Besides, it is none of your d@mn business anyway.

OP
OP
G

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James - my SRT-10 buyer bud has a Gen II car already - '00 ACR. He's already decided he likes it better than the SRT-10. I think he's nuts as the ACR drives like an '84 Vette. Well, not that bad...

Final GTS - did you use your Playstation or your GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip as a down payment? LOL J/K

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James - my SRT-10 buyer bud has a Gen II car already - '00 ACR. He's already decided he likes it better than the SRT-10. I think he's nuts as the ACR drives like an '84 Vette. Well, not that bad...

Surely you must be kidding. An '84 Vette comparison? Cough...cough.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all have to admit this point, that the gen2 looks meaner and agressive styling than the gen 3. I like the gen 3 but I wouldn't stand online to buy one.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James, so you have raced an SRT and beat it? Who did you race and when? Right...
You are correct, the SRT does look like a S2000. It has 4 wheels, 2 headlights, and a steering wheel. Very observant... :rolleyes:

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Women liking the styling of the SRT 10 in NO way makes it a chick car. It just means that more of them will come up and tell you they LIKE it!!!! :D

Besides, why are certain models of cars considered chick cars? Because more women drive them than men.

Do a poll and I'm sure you will find that the percentage of primary drivers of SRT 10s is absurdly weighted towards men.

If mostly men drove VW Cabrios, then we wouldn't be calling it a chick car, would we? We call it a chick car because 9 out of 10 times I see a girl behind the wheel.

It is not the design of car that defines it, it is the ownership.

Doesn't serve much useful purpose to come on the SRT 10 forum and talk down the design of the car.
Dave

OP
OP
G

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I started this, but if I hadn't, someone else would have...

It's great to see the debate, pro and con. Many good points being made.

At least Ma Mopar is still making such a beast. Think back 12 years...what did Chrysler make that YOU would buy? Personally, I'd have to go back to 1978, the last year of the big block cop cars. Even though they had thin-wall blocks and lean-burn (easily corrected).

In a simplistic sense, if Viper has done anything, it has taken sales away from Corvette. Fewer Chevys on the road is always a positive thing :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang