SRT-10 Gawk Factor (or lack thereof)

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I followed my buddy Dave home from the dealership today after he took delivery of his '03. The dealer was supposed to display the car in their showroom for two weeks (car arrived from CAAP a week ago), but they had no stanchions and asked that he go ahead and take the car, which had been stored in their service department. I think they were just relieved to have the car gone so they would have no liability for it.

As I followed him home, I noticed that the rear view of the car is rather boring. It doesn't have the same visual impact of earlier Vipers. It was a rather short drive of eight miles, but there was enough traffic that it took about 30 minutes to get to his house.

I've been ahead of, in, and behind many a Viper over the past seven years, and I'm used to seeing gawkers and excited, overexuberant people do stupid things in cars to be near Vipers on the road. I noticed none of that today. The car appeared to have no special presence on the road. It was rather disheartening.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing. Is the SRT-10 a "sleeper" Viper after all?

Anyway, the car is for sale (has nothing to do with gawk factor). A whopping 30 miles on it. Grab it before Dave changes his mind. See the VCA classifieds. I'm the point of contact.

This new body style SCREAMS for yellow paint!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you brought up paint colors- I think the Sapphire, Emerald, and Grey of 2000 would look great on the car as well as yellow. My personal taste on the car is a dark color.
It depends on who gawks at the Viper and who's around at the time. There are other Viper owners, the Viper knowledgeable (I'd put myslef in this category), the car knowledgeable (car mags readers [sports car enthusiasts] and sports car owners), then there are the kids and adults that can tell it's something special. And of course, the last category or the unknowing (people who are only interested in keeping the car they drive to last and only look at certain categories when buying a new car).

I've been riding in the Viper and just looking around to see the stares people give, sometimes I can't find but two the entire trip. Then I've seen others mouth words (like "look at that Viper"), kids giving thumbs up, kids heard yelling from minivans, people craning their necks around like owls, ALL IN ONE DRIVE! Just depends on the luck of the draw that day IMO.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm...I am having a totally different experience than you describe. When I sold my RT/10 and GTS and bought my SRT I welcomed the idea of having less people gawking at the car and asking the usual 100 questions everywhere I stopped! Now with my red SRT people are WAY more into gawking at the car than they were with my gen 1 & 2... people constantly give the thumbs up, scream and even drive into things when they see the SRT. When I first saw pictures of the SRT I thought they had ruined the looks but it sort of grew on me and now I think it is a totally awesome car - the car looks HOT!!!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a typical case of:
* Those that LIKE the SRT-10 tend to notice that others make a big deal about the new Viper.
* Those that DON'T like the SRT-10 tend to notice that others don't make a big deal about the new Viper.

You must be registered for see images

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about that...I have not met one person who has run down the new SRT. They all like the car, a number like the gen 1 & 2 better but the majority love the SRT. Bottom line - they like ALL the Vipers, gen 1,2 & 3 and so do I!!

OP
OP
G

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally like the Gen 3 car. I just noticed that it doesn't get the same reaction I've seen from Gen I/II cars. And that may not be such a bad thing.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did some significant gawking today...at a black Cayenne S...but stared at it so very long wondering how Porsche managed to build something so very, very ugly???

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the SRT gets as much as or more attention than the GTS. I even egg people on when they ask about the car --- even at stoplights --- by saying, "A lot of people don't like the new style." At least 4 times I have done this, and they have all said they don't agree, and that they like the new style better. I believe most people like the SRT's looks better.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think color has a lot to do with it.

George what color was the SRT-10 you were following?
aspviper, What color was your Gen II?

I just saw my first SRT-10 at Tator's Dodge a few weeks back and in black I really did not think it stood out that much. I personally like black as a color but if gawk factor is what you are after I have found that black does not deliver versus brighter colors. I really like the car but it has lost the edge that made the Viper so unique. Is it a better car? Yes. Is it a better-looking car? I say no, but obviously a lot of SRT-10 owners would not agree with me. I look forward to seeing more at Tator’s meet.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch the fire start with this one.....

We've taken the new SRT to 2 car shows recently. The comments have been overwhelmingly positive. Now, somoe of that is the fact that folks have not ever seen one in person and thisis the first, so they may not be as critical, I understand. But you know how there is always "one" at a car show that proceeds to either tell you 1) all about your car (always wrong) and 2) the person that explains everything that ius wrong with your car and why *** is better. Well, we've run into neither. I am certainly enjoying the top down driving, and the handling of the car is almost subtle. It takes curves with an amazing lack of fanfare, even when you start to push it. Haven't been on it too hard yet, as we're doing extra anal break in, but initial thoughts are acceleration is more subtle, as well. Not that it's not there, but it gets thre without feeling as edgy as our GTS's.

Another couple of observations. Took tha car to the store to grab a few drinks for he car show. Top down. Parked somewhat far out in lot. Was followed into the area by 2 kids- they circled the SRT, checked it out and drove off. As I was coming out of the store, noticedan older couple in a Mercedes E class. they drove past the car, stopped, backed up, stared for a while, then drove on. You can be assured they never would have gawked at the Gen I/II. Also, took the car out to a local dyno shop on it's maiden voyage. Tons of people there - young to not so young (?). The young guys and girls LOVED it. They weretaking pictures and doing some serious gawking, as were the 4 boys in a Mustang I saw on the way over. My point it, that I thinkthe appeal is more universal as opposed to outrageous. One can see that as either good or bad depending on what you want. I have no doubts that the performance will speak for itself.

OK, here's the part that will get me in trouble. Of the first 2 cars in Raleigh, they are both ending up being driven mostly by women. There are also 2 more women in the club that want an SRT for themselves, and have hubby's keep the RT / GTS. I think the visibility and the convertible have really started to add more women to the fan base.

Let the fun begin....

ViperRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got mine about 6 weeks ago and drove it from Denver to Cheyenne. I've done this a hundred times with anyone of the 4 Vipers I've owned. No Gawk factor. My wife was behind me and my son was driving and I was interested to see people's reaction, very little. I was pretty sure this would be the case. Silver 03 gone. Yellow 01 still knocking their socks off.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni makes an interesting comment about ownership in Raleigh. I don't particularily care for an SRT, but my wife has been begging me to consider getting one for her (not a bad position to be in, if I do say so myself). She loves the car, it's more docile look, it's more elegant interior, the convienent top. She finds it refined enough for her to handle regularily, whereas my Gen II she struggles with. The GEN II feels bigger to her, harder to drive, park, get comfortable in, etc, generally "more work". She loves the SRT for that reason.

Similarly, my best friend has a GEN II and he loves it, but HIS wife (covertly planning with mine) has been on him to get her an SRT. She considers it a wolf in sheeps clothing, and a car she can manage better as a daily driver.

Hmmmm....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And a little bird told me there are many more SRT's being confiscated by the ladies... Hopefully, this broadening of appeal with be good for everyone involved.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same deal here with what Joe mentioned. When my wife and I got a chance to get up close to an SRT last summer at a VCA parade lap at the RT66 NASCAR race, her comment to me was "I want this Viper, it is more of a Womans Viper, not as Mean as your Viper"

I like the SRT-10, but I agree with my wife! :usa:

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni makes an interesting comment about ownership in Raleigh. I don't particularily care for an SRT, but my wife has been begging me to consider getting one for her (not a bad position to be in, if I do say so myself). She loves the car, it's more docile look, it's more elegant interior, the convienent top. She finds it refined enough for her to handle regularily, whereas my Gen II she struggles with. The GEN II feels bigger to her, harder to drive, park, get comfortable in, etc, generally "more work". She loves the SRT for that reason.

Similarly, my best friend has a GEN II and he loves it, but HIS wife (covertly planning with mine) has been on him to get her an SRT. She considers it a wolf in sheeps clothing, and a car she can manage better as a daily driver.

Hmmmm....

I can definitely see where the new '03 SRT-10 would appeal to more lady buyers. It is more refined looking on the inside and probably more refined to drive. I don't like the styling looks of it myself, but that's just my opinion. I have had on 2 occasions guys stop dead in their tracks when they see my Gen II GTS and say that car is pure testosterone and that car says man all over it. I think the ownership of the Gen I and II Vipers has the highest male ownership of any car sold in America, in the 90% range I think.

As far as the gawk factor, I gawk at any new styled car whether I like the look of it or not. I mean I even gawked at the Pontiac Aztek when I first saw them on the road, only because I thought how could anyone in GM management actually give that style the go ahead to be built. What an ugly POS. I gawked at the new Hummer H2's when they first came out until now when I see them about every 5 minutes. Any new car will get gawks, even if the people don't like the look. With so many young kids these days into fast and furious import cars it is no wonder many of them may prefer the new look of the Viper. I mean it does kind of remind many people of a Honda S-2000.

But, regardless of how I feel about how the new Viper looks I would not be such an A-hole as to tell a SRT-10 owner to their face that I don't like the looks of it. I mean people take pride in their cars and if they think it looks good then that is all the matters. If everyone in this World had the same taste in cars then the World would be a boring place with us all driving the exact same car maybe even down to the same color.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron, my GTs was blue with white stripes, the best color ever! My SRT is red and in my opinion is probably the most outstanding color, so far, for the SRT.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, I never knew the SRT had this much more appeal to women! IMO, the car looks in no way to be a woman's car (as some call the Mazda Miata. I'm not sexist, don't mean to be, and I wouldn't mind owning a Miata). I think that Vipers are very driveable cars once you get used to everything. I just about was when I first drove one with steering, pedals, etc. Blind spots are a difficulty in the GTS, can't vouch for the RT, never sat in one. The looks of the SRT are more subtle, which may be why I like dark colors on it (I want Sapphire and Emerald). The Gen I-IIs look good in just about any color. But I still favor the extraordianry looks of the Gen I-IIs.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
aspviper, I would agree that the red is the best color so far. I think Red in any year Viper turns the most heads. I have heard this from numerous owners with and without red cars that this is the case. The fact that you went from blue to red may be part of it.

Another thing is it is easier to notice people staring in a convertible. In a GTS you can only see so much. I would also say that RT-10's and Convertibles are more eye catching as everyone who is not in an open top car wants to see the guy/gal who is. I have owned a Targa car and the number of looks I would get with the top off were much greater than with the top on. People are more interested when sun is shining into the car. I am sure this holds doubly true for the SRT-10.

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both a Blue/White GTS (with a wing, splitter, and five point belts) and a stock Red SRT-10.

I have had the cars at two car shows and have talked with many people about the styling.

Current GTS owners (usually men) like the Gen II body style best by an overwhelming margin. I fall into this category.

Non Viper owners tend to like the SRT best. It appeals to a wider audience for sure. ESPECIALLY WOMEN!!!

I have taken both cars to cruise nights and the guys all want to see the "race" car GTS while the women want the SRT. Interestingly enough, more women have asked me to sit in the SRT in just a month of ownership than have ever asked me to sit in the GTS. For single guys this could be a real benefit!

We often compare the SRT to the GTS. I think a more fair comparison might be the SRT to the RT/10.

I agree with the other posts that the SRT is easier to drive. My wife will not drive the GTS, but has adopted the SRT. We refer to the GTS as my car and the SRT as "HER" car which I think is GREAT! We need more women driving Vipers!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My MOTHER likes the SRT. That was enough just in itself to turn me off. LOL

But Yes, I strongly agree with the SRT=Feminine comparison. After seeing a couple go through my local dealer, it is almost right down the middle. Girls and ***** Guys go for the SRT, while Real Men go for the Gen-1/2 cars. :D

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, I've never failed to notice a GTS or RT/10 on the road. However, on numerous occasions I've found myself next to or driving towards SRT-10's and I don't realize until they are really close what they are. And while the car actually really doesn't look at all like an S2000, the first time I saw an SRT I thought it was one until I did a double take...

You can see a GTS coming from 1000 feet away and it immediately draws your attention...You'll never mistake it for anything else.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DBK where have you been in Michigan such that you saw "numerous" SRT's? The weather this year has been anything but Viperlike. As such I have been lucky to get 500+ miles accumulated on mine. And most of that driving is on roads on the north side of town.

Only saw 1 other SRT and that was at a Viper event. I do not know how many have been purchased in Michigan so far but I would think that it would not be too many. And of the ones I know that have one most are not yet driving them or plan to sell them so are not driving it at all.

Then again maybe Dearborn is the Viper capital. Oops, that would be Ford country. Oh well.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the first one I saw on the road was last spring I believe. Manufacturer plated Silver SRT in plymouth at the intersection of Ann Arbor and Sheldon to be specific...haha. At least I remember the first time I ever saw one. I actually made a U-turn hoping to catch him and get a better look but he was gone by the time I managed to turn around.

Now I live in Novi, but you see all manner of stuff in Dearborn anyhow. I used to frequently see a Red Modena 360 on hines drive ford had purchased for Aston Martin to benchmark the baby Aston Martin against. Tons of Vanquishes sitting in the back lot of the Fairlane developement center pretty much year round. I spend alot of time up in Auburn Hills as well so lots of DCX stuff is running around out on I-75. I've been seeing Pacifica's out there for months.

I actually saw two SRTs(replete with manu plates and white plastic protective coating) in Ontario on the way back from Toronto last fall as well. Ran into a red SRT on Southfield Road just before 696. Who knows, maybe I've seen the same red and silver ones 10 times, but I doubt it. Haven't run into a black one yet.

First rule of Detroit, never be surprised when you see any kind of car on the road. Oh, and not all people keep their cars indoor in the rain. :D

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another place to catch some cool cars around the Detroit area is at Roush racing in Dearborn near where I work. Tricked out Mustangs, Aston Martins, Ferraris, you name it. Saw a nice Lamborghini Murcielago down at the Ritz Carlton in Dearborn this week when I was out to lunch. Saw the yet to be released Cadillac XLR on the road near my house a few weeks ago. Saw the Hummer H2's on the road months before they went on sale. You name it I've seen it all on the road up here too. See a lot of young Ford engineers taking home Aston Martin test vehicles near my house. Working for Ford I get to drive some of the new vehicles home few months before they go on sale too. Maybe they'll let me drive a new GT-40 home when they ramp up production. Then again they probably won't. Dang. But you know what, I have yet to see a Viper SRT-10 on the public roads yet. Saw it on the track at MIS last year when the Viper club did the parade lap before the Nascar race, but that was about it. I guess if I make it to our Spring brunch next week I'll see a bunch on the road though.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doubtful you will see a bunch. At the event last week only me and 1 other (silver) showed. But I would bet on a handful for spring bunch. Barring bad weather I will be there. Have a 7:30 tee time so I will be parked in the back row.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Daniel - wonder if you will still think that when you get your a$$ kicked by an SRT!! :eek: Hopefully by a female driver to boot. :D

OP
OP
G

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni - 'fess up - women like the SRT better because of that "hairspray can holder" on the console :smirk:

My wife claims neutrality regarding the SRT styling. I take that to mean that she wants one, as she's pretty low-key regarding "car emotion." When I gave her my 68 Hemi Charger 3 years ago her reaction was happy yet muted, but she was absolutely ecstatic when describing it to her friends.

My buddy's SRT is red.

His girlfriend wants him to give her the car. As a gift. Just like that.

I think that's one of the reasons it's now for sale. Easier to get rid of it than fight over it.

I've said it before, but I'll repeat: The car screams for yellow paint!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I will throw in my quick observation: The car definitely appeals to more women now. I saw a red SRT in a parking lot the other day and decided to camp out for a minute nearby so that I could "recruit" them into the local VCA. Imagine my surprise when a woman walked out, child in hand. Car seat strapped in the front passenger seat. My wife was with me and thought it was great. I later called over to their home to let them know about some upcoming events. The husband answered and I asked if this was the gentleman with the SRT. "Oh, that is the wife's car" he replied. Interesting!

Now, having driven this car around the area A LOT, I can tell you that it gets just as much notice as the GTS got, but from a different crowd. Gone are many of the giant 4x4's yelling "YEAH MAN!!", and now the yells come from many more females and more of the teen crowd. I also have had quite a few older folks come up to admire the car. I have yet to hear "S2000" from anybody that has seen it in person (besides Jerry, our VP). One Viper owner called me when I got home and had seen it for the first time when I passed him going the other way. "I thought FOR SURE it was a 550 Maranello when it was coming towards me" he said. Not a bad thing.

Is it as audacious as a big, bold GTS with dual racing stripes? Not a chance in this world. Anybody who says otherwise is lying through their teeth and they know it. Does a car have to be audacious to be a crowd pleaser? Nope. Make no mistake, the car is a Viper through and through. While the body is more refined and "modernized" (gone are the "classic" looks), the guts are pure Viper and then some. It rumbles more than my GTS, it is faster than my GTS, and it will lay waste to more sports cars than my GTS. The fact that the ladies dig it just happens to be a bonus. :D

Chris

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.
I went to a very big Mercedes dealer today and while my SRT sat in front I watched all the salespeople and potential customers surround the car. Considering that everything from 600's to AMG's were there, they had lots of other choices to look at.
I was thinking the whole time that I could care less whether or not they like the Gen I or II cars better....I like it and their opinion really doesn't matter.
But then again... I don't live with my mother like FinalGTS...
Flame Intended

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang