SRT-10 Gawk Factor (or lack thereof)

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what the ironic part about this entire new Viper really is?? That we all sit here and debate about which GENERATION looks better or is faster or color..blah blah blah..Its a freakin Viper and that's all.Hopefully future designs of the Viper will be chosen by memebrs of the VCA.. :p

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fact is quite evident the only issue here is the skin of the car because once your past that the new Viper is a much better vehicle!! Now to the outer skin there are pros and cons both ways but one that I feel is a positive is the overall larger looking size of the new Viper in width. This does give the new Viper a more essence of stature. However, I probably wouldn't mind the car with some stronger curves and even a more beefy look with a wider footprint. But since that is not available I am very pleased being able to own such a vehicle.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appearance is in the eye of the beholder. Many people believe that the SRT is the better looking car. It appears the largest group of detractors is the GTS group. Maybe it is as much an anti convertible perspective as an anti SRT. I believe each has it's pluses and minuses: RT/10, GTS and SRT.

Regarding owner input Chrysler asked for input for Gen III several times. At one of the VOI's there was a conference just on that topic. I do not recall a similar drive for information for the RT/10 or GTS.

Customer input can highlight current vehicle shortcomings but is not very good at predicting future needs. Bob Lutz one time made an excellent comment indicating the customer does not know what they want, the job of the designer is to forecast the customer wants and desires before the customer knows what they are. That is not a direct quote, but contains the essence of what he said.

As for me I like all three versions for what they are. Each with their pluses and minuses. Is any one version more Viper than the others? No, I do not think so. If anything the most Viperlike is the RT/10 as it started the whole Viper concept.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell ya what - I'll be calling old Wild Bill up here just as soon as we get confirmation of a MY on the Coupe. Won't even think twice about it.

So from that perspective (mine) the convertible nature of the SRT has swayed me from looking into adding one to the stable. I have no doubts that the new car, once past the new skin, may be the better snake.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's important to remember that although there are many GTS owners who don't like & wouldn't buy a convertible, there are many people who aren't complaining about the fact that the SRT is a convertible because that is what they wanted. I personally would not have even considered an SRT if it were a coupe, I would have moved to plan 2 and ordered a Radical SR3 instead. I am just one who has always wanted my sports car to be open topped and wouldn't have it any other way.

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far, I have had lots of smiles and thumbs up for my SRT. Fortunately, no middle fingers up. As far as the SRT being a chick car I'm not so sure. I came back out to the parking lot after Easter brunch and found a young man staring at it from his pickup. I had him sit in the Viper drivers seat and look around. He noticed I had two notes on the windshield. Both notes were from different guys who gave me their phone numbers and wanted rides in their "dream car". No notes from any women, yet.

IA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two similar threads running on this subject which is great because I have waited for this. I was on the verge of buying a viper last year but I was torn between buying the older RT versus the new SRT. I am sorry but I think you SRT fanatics are living in a dream world. I have to say that the viper has lost A LOT of its charm for the following reasons:

1) Styling: Give me a break guys. I know you love this car but tons of cars are styled just as well if not better...SL roadsters, the new Z, the maseratis to name just a few. All these cars get tons of gawk factor when parked anywhere. I have seen it myself. The thing for me was that the viper always seemed to do more. Now you combine this with the fact that some brilliant redesigned models are coming out in the next 2 to 3 years: mustang, corvette, a few in the BMW line up etc, there is really no plus factor for the viper.

2) HP: This was pumped over and over again by the SRT guys in previous arguments. Face it, many cars will break through that seemingly unobtainable barrier in 3 years: M5, any of the high end AMG SL roadsters.... and I am talking stock. Add on the fact that $35,000 will soon get you a 390 HP stock mustang, I can only imagine what you can do with some tweak here and there. However what really kills me is that these cars will not only pump as much HP but will come with enough luxuries to make you drool. Now please explain who should be the proud owner? Bottom line, I am not impressed at all with the 500 HP argument.

3) Price: I am not going waste much time on this subject. For the two points above, it is simply no longer a bargain. Yeah, you could say "well don't buy it". However, that is not the point. The viper was a concept: radical styling, priced affordably for the class of car and despite its lack of comfort edged out the competition in other ways that could not be described on paper. Now the SRT looks like.....um.....a new model car. So for all of the preceding, I will stick with the RT-10.

My $0.02

Reaction score
Sat. evening I want to TCBY(Los Gatos) with Christian (3 3/4 yrs old) for green ice cream. Two new ZO6's were parked near by. While getting Christian unbuckled the Z owners came over to looks at the SRT10 and both loved the looks and had nothing but good comments.

People look at the SRT10 in this area just like any exotic.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IA - you were seriously considering buying an SRT last year but now all you do is run it down? Give me a break...I assume you couldn't order one because you did not qualify and now you are a tad jealous? :rolleyes:

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Corvette owners are potential Viper owners!

when the Gen I Viper came out, i immediately LOVED it, and bought one. when the C5 Corvette came out, i initially HATED it. and i told everybody how much i hated it. after three years, the C5 finally grew on me, so i bought one. i love the C5 Corvette and Gen I and Gen II Vipers. i don't care for the 03 SRT though. maybe time (or a hardtop) will change my mind. :)

Reaction score
IA Glad you love your RT, been there done that in 95.

How do you like driving out of the City in great weather with the top off and hit the coast with the 40 degree mist or head east into the Central Valley where it is to hot. Now what do you do? forgot the TOP? I think you get the Idea when comparing this situation to the SRT and I have been in both situations mentioned.

Ever take your car to an autocross or open track event? How do you like the RT braking performance? The SRT has the best brake system on the market, as in stops shorter than any other car.

50 HP? We are talking about total performance, less weight, better balance, better handling-as in cornering and again brakes.

The RT is a great car its styling is unique and pushes a ton of air. The SRT started with a clean sheet of paper with better performance the guiding light while not giving up the Viper V10 and back to basics approach.

The GEN on and II's are great and will always be great. The SRT10 his a much improved performance car with a great top.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC seems to be taking the Viper in the same direction as GM took the Corvette, increased performance but design and comfort directed at appealing to the masses. Raw and nasty is what got me into the Gen II GTS and I don't see that in the SRT. Bring it on as a coupe ASAP and maybe then, and no I'm not adverse to rag tops.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You work for ford? What no 03 Cobra? Add a chip and a pulley and it's just as fast as your viper for half the cost dude :rolleyes: :p

Urban ledgend, show me the proof. I have lined it up with an o3 with the 'special pully and it aint true. :)

Nother point. If there all the Vipers looked like the GTS I never would have bought one. I believe they DO appeal to more people just like the look of a Corvette and Dodge wants to sell more cars. I don't blame them, I just don't like the new look as much as the old.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Urban ledgend, show me the proof. I have lined it up with an o3 with the 'special pully and it aint true. :)

Oh believe my i know it. Motor City madman was actually at a track event I believe where this kid I know brought his 496rwhp 2.80 pulley 03 and the guy couldn't break out of the 13's all night...lol. To be fair, the GTS's were puttin down 12.30s+ and I was the fastest Z at 12.60s...

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh believe my i know it. Motor City madman was actually at a track event I believe where this kid I know brought his 496rwhp 2.80 pulley 03 and the guy couldn't break out of the 13's all night...lol. To be fair, the GTS's were puttin down 12.30s+ and I was the fastest Z at 12.60s...

Hey Dave, good to hear ya! What's up your sleeve for this season? Spill the goods would ya........

I have learned to bite me tongue on the SRT, following the if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all mantra. It is a nice car. Previously when I thought of nice cars the word Viper didn't come to mind. Period.

and I did race one and beat it, granted the driver didn't seem to be much of a driver, but it is being filed as a "kill"!!!:)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH crap I went to edit my post but it was too late. No real biggy but I was saying an 03 even with chip and pully is still slower than a stock Viper, I typed it wrong oops.

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is exactily the thread that I was looking for! I saw my first SRT about two weeks ago crusing on the 73 toll road, top down here in SoCal. Coming up to it from the bag, there was a lot of "is that an SRT" questioning as I sped up to see it. Driving by, I was excited to see it, but not overwhelmed like I am with the GTS. As "nice" as the SRT is, I saw one for sale at a local exotic dealership last week, and I drove on by without stopping to inspect it....

I totally agree with the point that I am buying a Viper to stand out along with all the other bonuses. That is why when I get mine (VERY SOON), it will be a GTS (hopefully a Daytona).

Zach

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's my take on this topic!
I love the interior design of the car(I think seats are much better than the previous Viper)but the exterior leaves a little bit of that truly exotic look behind.It drives awesome and performs like a dream but if one goes on looks alone-not sure!
First thing I thought of when I saw the car was Honda S2000 from the side and Jag from the back.

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY 2 CENTS Millions of people all over the US will remember RED GEN 1 RT/10 with black side pipes. Anybody that doesnt agree with this on this forum is just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no matter what they put out for ever and ever and ever!!!!! Glad i got one!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
MY 2 CENTS Millions of people all over the US will remember RED GEN 1 RT/10 with black side pipes. Anybody that doesnt agree with this on this forum is just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no matter what they put out for ever and ever and ever!!!!! Glad i got one!

They will also always remember the blue/white GTS! Put them together and you get red, white and blue. No better cars to represent AMERICA. I believe that is a major part of their appeal to all. :usa: No flame to the SRTs.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can vouch for that. Let's just say the kid was having a little bit of a traction problem, or else he really didn't have the HP he claimed to have. I think GenXGTS and 2Tall were there that night too. Plus my buddy Michael with his Supra. Wasn't that the Vette vs. Viper night at Milan? Fun time.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say this. Today I had my Viper out and took a ride near the park where I live. I was rubbing my eyes when I seen a brand new red srt-10 right behind me.The guy was really nice and we spoke about an hour on both cars. He took me for a quick ride and I was impressed by the interior and performance. The car felt smoother and thighter on curves.Then I took him in my GTS. He got scared since my car has some mods and screams a little. To be honest with you all, I give the car a 10plus in performance, looks??/Still didn't impress me..I't was nice but it looks so much like a convertible Sebring on steroids...Not to shoot the car down since it performed nice but looks have to go with performance. The car is lacking that brutal look...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read 'em and weep, boys and girls. For I, too, have proven beyond reasonable doubt that the new SRT lacks Gawk Factor.

Drove my new black SRT about 15miles around town today. Gleaming, black shiny, sinister badness and all... I got some looks, I got a few smiles. I got no thumbs up, no neck snaps no bowdowns. I put it in the garage and drove my 96 GTS back to the dealer to get my truck. This is what I experienced:
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images
:eek: :D . All this in 2.5 miles.

The SRT drives almost exactly like my GTS with Penskes and 600/800# coils with the damping turned way up. Words to describe the driving sensation are: choppy, stiff, solid, upright and snug. It turns in better than the GTS. It is probably stiffer than it should be for cruising, but will be very good for the track.

Visibility from the cockpit is only slightly better than an RT/10, but not as good as a GTS. The fenders are taller and it is somewhat more difficult to see the apex thru the lower corner of the windshield.

Powerband feels mushier at up to 3500 rpm, but the whole powertrain feels a bit bound up with newness. My coupe has 23,000 miles on it. It is louder than my GTS with the muffler delete and [******] airbox. Shifter has a nice snappy feel to it. Pedals are very close together, and it was very difficult to drive with my work boots on. I put on my Simpson shoes before my secret backroad test and it was much better. I don't think I consciously used the dead pedal. Not used to even having one. Rolling throttle bursts on an entrance ramp did not get crazy and no rubber was evident

Paint quality, while generally very good, is not nearly as good as my black '93 RT/10 was. It was absolutely FLAWLESS. It looked like black chrome warped into multiple compound curves. The SRT has some parts that are that good, but the doors in particular have orange peel and some fiberglass print-trough. $83k for this?

I had the car on the lift and looked it "under." The bottom of the car is highly impressive! The aero bits are really cool, and they show a lot of attention to detail in this area. Oil filter access is perfect. The oil pan is HUGE. The diff and GKN CV halfshafts are highly impressive units. I'm sure that Dana and Dodge will address the spider gear shaft problems that have been reported in short order.

Oh, and did I mention the brakes? THIS FREAKING CAR HAS BRAKES FROM THE HEAVENS!!!! GAWD DOES IT STOP!!!!!

In closing - I think I need to share this interesting tidbit: My salesman and I were standing in my garage looking at the car when my daughter, (the 13 year old cheerleader) came in and checked out the SRT. Her exact words, and I [******] you not: "Looks kinda like a cool Viper Vette." My salesman looked at me, cocked his head and shrugged his shoulders. :crazy:

OK - here's another interesting deal. We drove through the park (no reaction) and over to the Little League fields in the early evening (plain daylight). I pulled up to the fence by the dugout, right next to a black H2. Nobody even gave the car a second look. A couple of 10-12 year olds were in the parking lot watching us leave. They were looking real hard at it. I asked them: "what kind of car is it?" Blank stares. I said "it's a new Viper." One points to the side of the car and says "Yeah, it says Viper."

I don't think this car's for me...

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt the new Viper SRT-10 has better performance and a nicer interior than the ol' Gen I's and Gen II's. But, I'd have to drink at least a 6 pack before she started looking good to me. Maybe even a 12 pack. :D

Hey, we made it to 4 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Is it as audacious as a big, bold GTS with dual racing stripes? Not a chance in this world.

I like the way you said that! :D

Did you see the VCA notes, where the SRT has been dyno'd at 575 pound/feet of torque? OMG, thats outrageous!

I was recently on a drive with the Ferrari Club out here in So Cal, and when I told them Motor Trend recorded a new worlds' record in the SRT for braking from 60-0 in 97 feet, it was met with incredulous looks. What do you say to that? The Viper tradition continues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang