SRT 10 lowering

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am looking at a Viper built by RSI. They told me that they lowered the car
an inch by cutting the springs and that they do it all of the time. Has
anyone heard of this? I have seen elsewhere that you will blow out the shocks
doing something like this. Also wonder about the ride.

Herc :usa:

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian, I PM'd and emailed you but never heard back. Did you keep your Aldans or dump them and go with something else? How has the car been since then?

Manny

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I was in high school we lowered cars by taking a blow torch to the spring. I know, not very responsible, but I don't think it is that much worse than cutting the spring.

There is careful engineering in the springs and different sections are designed to compress at different rates. Cutting one section off can change the entire package, and not in a good way.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting the springs actually works fne on a Gen 2. With the Gen 3, there isn't enough shock travel if you do it. You'll blow the seals in a couple hundred miles. Ask Brian E!

OP
OP
H

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting the springs actually works fne on a Gen 2. With the Gen 3, there isn't enough shock travel if you do it. You'll blow the seals in a couple hundred miles. Ask Brian E!

Thats what I keep hearing, but RSI, who seem to be fairly well respected, are
telling me that they do it all the time.

Herc :confused: :usa:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats what I keep hearing, but RSI, who seem to be fairly well respected, are
telling me that they do it all the time.

Herc :confused: :usa:

no offense to rsi but after hearing we'll cut the springs I think I would go somewhere else!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Herc, could you give me a call. I have some info for you that you will consider very valuable.

Skip White
423-2883881
evening is fine.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting the springs or using shorter springs is insane to say the least. The coilovers are have very little piston travel as it is, and this would surely destroy them. This is 100 for sure.

Next Gen Aldan coilovers will be a winner. I'm just not going to use there springs anymore.

Skip White

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy the shocks from H ennessey. They are fairly affordable, and really good. RSI gave me some handy dandy info just like that, and it cost me a fist full of money.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip, is Aldan swapping out the old ones with new generation ones for SRT10 owners at no charge? I have a buddy that put my brand new 'older' Aldans on my car and the car sits high as hell and is quite bouncy. He's been communicating with Aldan to get it fixed.

-Manny

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few guys have mentioned that the new Aldans work well. Has anyone tried them? How much do they lower the car? What is the handling/ride like. Like many owners I want to lower my car without spending $4,000+. If the Aldans work, can a good mechanic put them on or does the car need "special" work. I've heard it takes 5 hours to adjust the Montons. Thanks

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Brian E. and Skip White: You both mentioned the new Aldans work. Have others used these successfully? They must be cheaper than Motons. Please give details. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery