SRT-10 or Porsche 997 S Cabriolet

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of each and would take the Porsche over the Viper if I had to chose. The Porsche is a much better car. The Viper, however, is an animal and that is a good thing .... :headbang:

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOMERCY...where have you been...relocating?

Yes, but your comparison is not fair...you have an Uber Porsche. We are talking about an average Porsche.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the SRT’s are beautiful cars. I’d make it my third car in a minute. I’m know Porsche are great cars but for me, their to small and theirs to many of them on the road. I try to be a little more original. I also can’t tell one Porsche from the next. I can't tell if it’s the $60K one or the $160K one. IMO

Be an original

OP
OP
T

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't get to drive one! I can't believe how ridiculous Dodge is, even though I drove up in my wife's $78,000 2004 Range Rover HSE they wanted to run a credit report before they let me drive it. I was like, it's expensive for a Dodge but it's not expensive as cars go. I'm not about to lower my Fico score just for a test drive. Pissed me off and basically insulted me although I somewhat understand the reasoning behind it, so I didn't show my feelings or be an ******* about it as that's not my style.

So my impressions of my first time sitting in one and playing around with it for about an hour. The overall quality was much higher than I expected it would be. Although there's a lack of heavy sound deadening components in the floor or roof, it's obvious it supposed to be that way for a reason. I'm a little over 6' tall and found the windshield top to be a little too much in my field of vision. It made me slouch to see under it. I was also surprised at how little storage room there is as well but I can see that would be out of character too.

As saddened as I am that I couldn't drive it (as that is what this car is about probably more than any other), I'm not sure it would have made a difference since I'm likely too tall for it when used on a daily bases. I can say without a doubt the car gets my blood stirring more than the Porsche ever will. Even standing beside it gets you smiling, sitting inside it made me giddy inside, LOL. I can only guess what it's like to drive it. This car is pure testosterone for sure and I'm envious of people that have one.

I appreciate all the advice others here have provided and will sure give a thumbs up to any I see beside me at a stoplight. I'm putting my deposit down tomorrow for a 2006 997 S Cabriolet. I won't dare race any of you, LOL. Terry

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can say without a doubt the car gets my blood stirring more than the Porsche ever will. -Terry

Maybe the Porsche is not the 'dream car' that you were looking for. :confused:

05 Venom

Terry, Had the 2 inch seat lowering kit installed by the dealer before I took delivery.....man what a difference, I have head room and them some!!!

bmoney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in a predicament and can use advice from the members here. I'm finally able to move up from my 02 C5 convertible Vette to one of my dream cars. As you probably guessed from the subject, it's between the Viper SRT 10 and the new Porsche 997 S Cabriolet.

I've already driven the new Porsche albeit in coupe form. It's a very nice car, as fast as my Vette but the build quality and fit and finish is many leagues above it. My problem is no dealers near me have a Viper I can test drive so it makes it really hard to compare. It's also going to be a daily driver so I'm a little concerned about the way magazines always describe the Viper as a raw beast. Will it really wear one down on long drives or daily driving?

So, that is why I'm here now. I hope to hear advice on what other members think of the two cars or even better members that were also comparing the Viper to the Porsche and hear why they went with the Viper. Any regrets, even the slightest? Thanks in advance Terry

I'll give you my simple $0.02. One month ago, I sold my '02 Z06 and was looking at the 997 S to replace it. I test drove one and REALLY liked it, but I wanted to go home to think about it. On the way home I stopped by a Dodge dealership and drove an '05 SRT-10. I didn't have to go home to think about it. I drove it home that night! ;)

Since then, I have put 1100 miles on it (in rain and shine), and I don't see any problem with continued daily use. I am not interested in a garage queen that gets little to no driving, and I don't want to "save" my car for the next owner.

OP
OP
T

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although the seat lowering may help, my mind is made up, Porsche is it. The dealer treatment also weighs in with this decision.

You are right SankeEye, this is not my "true" dream car. As my budget allows I keep working closer to what it really is and it changes constantly as new models come out. Currently it's the Ferrari 360 Spider, but my budget doesn't allow for that right now. My cars have been as follows, 95 Mustang GT Vert, 00 Mustang GT Vert, 02 Corvette Vert and now it will be a 06 997 Vert. Hopefully in 2-3 years I'll be in a Ferrari or whatever new models that come out that may capture my interest. As you can probably see, I am not the typical brand loyal customer, I appreciate all vehicles.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"I didn't get to drive one! I can't believe how ridiculous Dodge is, even though I drove up in my wife's $78,000 2004 Range Rover HSE they wanted to run a credit report before they let me drive it"
"Although the seat lowering may help, my mind is made up, Porsche is it. The dealer treatment also weighs in with this decision."

This dodge dealer needs to see this post, Terry, if you can, email it to him.. I was in my old beat up work truck when I went to buy my viper. I understand how dealers need to keep the mileage as low as possible, but they also need to know how to sell... In my case, I didn't want a test drive, I wanted to deal first, but the salesman insisted...He didn't know me, but could tell I was serious...AND THAT'S ALL IT TOOK. ;)

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOMERCY...where have you been...relocating?

Yes, but your comparison is not fair...you have an Uber Porsche. We are talking about an average Porsche.

I have just not been here. I don't like this site ... ;)

As far as the Porsche comparison ... I find the Porsche to be a much better vehicle. The Viper is a toy ... a great toy but still a toy. The dealership experience that this guy had is typical. The same thing happened to me back in 2000 and I walked out and bought a Z06. Last year when I checked out an SRT, (I got a test drive this time but not without a fight), I had the salesman telling me the Viper was Turbo Charged. :laugh: I'll never buy a Dodge unless it is from Bill Pemberton ... I won't play those dealership games. :rolleyes:

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOMERCY:

Understand why you have been absent for awhile. Good to see you again.

My experience was very similar to yours and Terry's. I went to a dealer to buy a 1999 GTS ACR. The dealer refused to start the car, take me for a ride in the car, pop the hood, etc. I explained to him that I was there to purchase; just wanted to be certain that it was a good car.

He was undaunted.

He eventually wholesaled the car to another deal where it sold for substantially less than he was asking.

It was always a struggle to reconcile the car and the dealer.

Had a similar experience with a 2002 GTS with another dealer (notorious in this area) who had to struggle with his sales manager to even call me back about the details of the purchase. I backed away, and they called for every Viper they received from thereon.

I bought both of my SRT-10s out of state, solely on how accomdating, respectful, professional and appreciative the dealer was.

I doubt that Terry wishes to pursue it, but a visit to the salesman with a copy of his contract on the Porsche Cabriolet..."had I been treated better; this would have been your sale" is in order. I completely understand if he simply does not want to mess with it.

P.S. I concur with your assessment of the Viper and the Porsche; two different concepts entirely. As I said, it is like comparing apples and RPG's.

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the service you get at the Dodge place is really horrible. Especially if they aren't making a load of cash on the sale as they aren't lately on the Vipers because of the season and the abundance of them in showrooms. I haven't yet had to take my 2005 (220 miles so far) in for service/warranty stuff, but I am very much dreading it. When I bought my Infiniti Fx45, the service was incredible. On the sale end and on the service end.

Viperdriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't get to drive one! I can't believe how ridiculous Dodge is,
See if you can rent an exotic car where you live. Then take that to the dealer and ask for a test drive. I rented a Gen.II. I think the Gen.II looks better than the Gen.III but the Gen.III is much more refined. If you rent a Viper they will come barreling out the door to help you. (They want the trade in.) Next read a copy of "Car Buyers and Leasers Negotiating Bible" and bypass the whole sorry dealer purchase game. I paid $23.000.00 less for mine than the dealer wanted. And his car was a Gen. III that didn't have the cam bolt recall performed. Unfortunately, once you buy a Viper the dealer has no clue how to treat a person who spent $80,000 plus on a car let alone a Dodge. Porsche has an advantage here. I'm lucky though, Archer Racing is two hours away from me.
The Porsche will be a fun car but major, major bucks when it breaks. And it's not a question if it will break but when. All you Porschies can flame all you want here but I used to work on them and I know. So if you buy the Porsche get an extended warrantee and plan to sell it a few months before it expires.
At least the Viper has a glorified truck drive line and is generally much more reliable but get the extended warrantee for it also.

bmoney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought both of my SRT-10s out of state, solely on how accomdating, respectful, professional and appreciative the dealer was.

I bought my car local in Austin, TX. I bought from Allen Samuel Dodge, and the owner's son, Jerry, helped me himself. That guy is a true professional. He made sure that I got the deal I wanted on the car and that the service I received was impeccable. One week after buying the car, he called me personally to ask how I liked the car, and if there was anything they could do for me. This is from a guy who owns 15+ dealerships around the state. The point is, is that there are good local dealers if you look in the right places. And for the record, I am young, I went in wearing jeans, sneakers, and a ratty t-shirt, and I made no attempt to show them that I could actually afford the car.

bmoney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats bmoney. Your attitude personifies the Viper, both new and old. Enjoy the car!

Thanks RavenFan_94! So far I am loving every minute of owning this car!!

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A salesman has the right, obligation and ideally the skill to size up a customer. This is how he earns his income.

If you go in appropriately dressed, speak well, are sincere and truly interested, he has the responsibility to be courteous, interested in you and make all reasonable attempts to accomodate.

The situation that Terry described is reprehensible. The guy who lost the sale was his own undoing. Would love Terry to drop by and offer the guy a ride in his Porsche.

But this is not limited (obviously) to Dodge.

If y'all remember my composite, fictional, character, "Ralphie" from months ago...that character was based upon a fellow who ran into a similar problem trying to buy an S-class Mercedes locally. The salesman decided he was not Mercedes material and simply would not wait upon him. He had cash in hand.

OP
OP
T

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if I was alone in thinking the dealership blew it on this one. FYI, it was Capistrano Dodge in Orange County. I just came back from Huntington Beach Porsche and put my deposit in, it will be a 2006 model with delivery hope of July or August. I'm confident I made the right decision for myself at this time.

I still can't get over how stupid it is for a dealer to not let a prospective buyer drive this car especially when they already come in with an equivalent priced vehicle. It's not like it's a high production car that I'll likely have driven in or have a friend that owns one. It's a low production car, one that many people will never have been in before. If they can't drive it, they'll walk away like I just did. If they really want to get the sales up, they have to let people drive it, as that's what high dollar sports cars are all about regardless of brand.

As a comparison, the Porsche dealer and my Range Rover dealers let me test drive both cars with zero hesitation and no questions asked. They didn't play that stupid game of asking if I test drive it will I'll buy today either. They must know from experience, buyers of higher dollar cars usually spend a few day or more thinking about it before they lay down the cash. Best wishes to all that have helped. Terry

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terry, Good luck with your new 997. It has been reviewed very well so far.
I was actually going to take those other guys bets that you wouldn't get the Viper.

No flame intended, it's just that I heard "daily driver" louder in your comments more than "unique powerhouse", so I figured that you were tending towards the Porsche anyway, and the dealer treatment just cemented your decision.

I know it's probably not worth your trouble, but there would be some satisfaction calling up the sales manager at Capistrano Dodge and mentioning that you just ordered a Porsche 997, and that his salesman's attitude contributed to your choice.

The reason that the Corvette and 911 are such good sellers in their market is because they have a broader appeal.
But you should still treat yourself to a drive in a Viper someday.

The Viper has a much more narrowly focused appeal (even though mine has been my daily driver for years) that is full of force and passion. I can't remember someone that I've ever given a ride to who has not been blown away with the Viper's acceleration and handling capabilities. :eek:

It's entirely possible that if you find a good dealer (there definitely are some) and actually get some time behind the wheel of a Viper, that it may become your next dream car after all. :laugh:

bmoney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if I was alone in thinking the dealership blew it on this one. FYI, it was Capistrano Dodge in Orange County. I just came back from Huntington Beach Porsche and put my deposit in, it will be a 2006 model with delivery hope of July or August. I'm confident I made the right decision for myself at this time.

I still can't get over how stupid it is for a dealer to not let a prospective buyer drive this car especially when they already come in with an equivalent priced vehicle. It's not like it's a high production car that I'll likely have driven in or have a friend that owns one. It's a low production car, one that many people will never have been in before. If they can't drive it, they'll walk away like I just did. If they really want to get the sales up, they have to let people drive it, as that's what high dollar sports cars are all about regardless of brand.

As a comparison, the Porsche dealer and my Range Rover dealers let me test drive both cars with zero hesitation and no questions asked. They didn't play that stupid game of asking if I test drive it will I'll buy today either. They must know from experience, buyers of higher dollar cars usually spend a few day or more thinking about it before they lay down the cash. Best wishes to all that have helped. Terry

I know the problem with all of these Dodge dealers - they only sell ONE expensive car, that they can only get in very limited quantities, so they treat it like it is untouchable. Porsche dealers sell high end, expensive cars all the time, so it is not as big of a deal to them to give you a test drive. Try going in to test drive a GT2 and see if the Porsche dealer is willing to toss just any person off the street the keys.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the problem with all of these Dodge dealers - they only sell ONE expensive car, that they can only get in very limited quantities, so they treat it like it is untouchable. Porsche dealers sell high end, expensive cars all the time, so it is not as big of a deal to them to give you a test drive. Try going in to test drive a GT2 and see if the Porsche dealer is willing to toss just any person off the street the keys.

[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps, because the allocations are so limited, the dealers prefer not to put miles on a vehicle that they will be selling as "new". I wouldn't buy a new Viper that had miles on it from someone finding out that it rode rougher than a Porsche. Of course, I had taken the Skip Barber class before buying my SRT-10, so I had a pretty good idea of what the car was all about. Porsches, Range Rovers, and even my fairly limited Audi S8 are all commmodities. They are plentiful, and interchangeable. So if a few demo models get used, no big deal. A Viper is more of a limited production car, and generally, people who buy them have driven them before ever showing up in a showroom.

Additionally, I've NEVER had anyone turn me down for a test ride, from Testarossas, to Porsches, to Vettes, etc. But I have had salepeople qualify me to determine if I seemed serious about purchasing or not. Perhaps your heart was already in the Porsche before you talked to the Dodge salesman, and it showed.

Just a thought.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have taken a Lamborghini Gallardo for a few test drives out here at the Lambo dealership. No pre-qual or B.S. How can they expect you to buy an expensive car without a test drive. I understand not putting miles on a new car ... that is what demos are for. I can undeerstand a bit of attitude from the Ferrari dealerships and Lambo places etc ... not from DODGE. No test drive, no sale. :confused:

The funny thing was a week after I first test drove the Lambo I drove the SRT. The Lambo dealership was very professional and sent their head tech with me to explain the car. The Dodge dealership hassled me to the point I walked out. They chased me down and produced keys for the drive. My co-driver was the salseman who spent much of his time trying to convince me that Vipers came from the factory with turbo chargers. :eek:

Needless to say Bill Pemberton saved the day but the Lambo will see my garage this summer and I will never visit that dealership again.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOMERCY:

It is very difficult to compare the Dodge and Lambo dealers.

If the Viper goes for Invoice + a grand, the salesman does not become wealthy from this transaction. I suspect that the Lambo salesman does quite well on a sale...Mercedes certainly does.

Perhaps equally as important, Lambo and Viper buyers are two different camps:

You are unlikely to see a Viper owner wearing bling.

You are unlikely to see a Lambo owner drinking beer for breakfast.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote "You are unlikely to see a Lambo owner drinking beer for breakfast."
"You are unlikely to see a Viper owner wearing bling."

I do know a Ferrari owner who wears pink shoes.

ROTFLMAO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2004Fangs