SRT Differential

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The final responsibility is DC's. They approved Dana's design (or even designed it with Dana) for use in their product. It does not matter who does what to the parts before they become the final product. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to assure that everything comes together to make a quality product. And therefore, it is DC's job to right this situation, albeit they will probably get the solution and replacement parts from Dana and back charge them for all associated hard costs plus penalties.

Chad

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, this is an interesting one to watch. A few observations if I may:

First off, apparently there is now a new "weakest" link in the Viper drivetrain. Many folks twisted half shafts on their Gen I/II Vipers, including some stock cars with good traction. Is that any excuse for them to go? Absolutely not. But the Viper has never been bulletproof.

Second, many are acting like this is the first time a Viper has EVER had a problem from the factory. It is not by a long shot. Head gaskets on some Gen I's, cracked frames on some Gen II's (and every single Viper produced from 1996 to 2000 is involved with a MAJOR recall right now). I myself ended up with a factory problem with my GTS that affected several other early 2000's. Mine ended up on blocks for over two months while the engine was rebuilt. Does the differential on the SRT bother me? Not especially. I am just as concerned as everybody else, but I also know that stuff happens. Hopefully DC will isolate the problem and find out if it is mass-produced or an anomaly with a certain run or something similar.

Finally, I would note that I have 1600 miles on my SRT with some very, uh, spirited driving. Not even a hint of a problem other some bizarre noise that came from the car once upon deceleration - and never happened again. Am I worried? Not even.

Chris