SRT Engineer Chat HERE on January 16th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there any chance cruise control will be offered on future Vipers? I installed cruise to avoid speeding tickets and the aftermarket cruise isn't as good as the system in my '97 Neon.

I am in the snow belt and have driven my Viper over 27,000 miles in the last 22 driving months and anything to avoiding tickets is a major plus!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I noticed that the 2008 SRT10 Coupe F-16 Racer (Grailkeeper= Winner) utilized Belanger Headers, as well as in Comp Coupes and 92-06 Vipers. Is there any programming or other reason, caution, or concern, that these same headers might not work just fine (long-term) in an otherwise-stock 2008 vs that PVP 2008? That is, "What should we be careful of?" THANKS

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was a cause of the "ammonia smelling white junk" in the Charger coolant systems identified, and is there any concern of this in the new Vipers?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I had one additional question. Why the change back to dual throttle bodies on the 08 compared to the 06?

For '08 we needed to use ETC (electronic throttle control) for several reasons. At that time, there were no dual ETC throttle bodies available in the size we needed. Also, as the throttle area gets bigger, the motor has to be bigger/more powerful and that could have issues. We had 72mm single ETC's available in our parts bin so we used them rather than invent something new and unproven.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
If I completely drain and flush every bit of coolant in my 2000 ACR. Can I switch over to the longer life red coolant like the newer Vipers have? If not what element in my Gen II is prohibiting that changeover?

Stick with the coolant that's released for your vehicle. Just like anything else coolant is validated on the vehicle it's released for.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance cruise control will be offered on future Vipers? I installed cruise to avoid speeding tickets and the aftermarket cruise isn't as good as the system in my '97 Neon.

I am in the snow belt and have driven my Viper over 27,000 miles in the last 22 driving months and anything to avoiding tickets is a major plus!!

We will not discuss future product.

Sweet job driving that kind of mileage! The cars love miles!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I noticed that the 2008 SRT10 Coupe F-16 Racer (Grailkeeper= Winner) utilized Belanger Headers, as well as in Comp Coupes and 92-06 Vipers. Is there any programming or other reason, caution, or concern, that these same headers might not work just fine (long-term) in an otherwise-stock 2008 vs that PVP 2008?

No, the Grailkeeper's SRT10 was completely stock:rolaugh:

Seriously, we have not evaluated the long term impact of these types of modifications.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08's are dynoing at 540-546 rwhp according to new Gen 4 owners in this forum. Using the 13% tranny loss for Gen 3's, that is about 627 flywheel hp. Is the tranny loss for the 08 less (say only 9% which would give you 600 flywheel hp) than for the Gen 3's? Or are you guys just making really powerful 08's?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of you ever ridden in a supercharged Viper? If so, what did you think?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Snakeeye: Can excessive wind noise in the upper rear corners of the door glass in coupes be eliminated or reduced via window adjustments or other techniques?

If you have excessive wind noise in the upper rear corner the side glass may need adjustment. This area should be good. Some minor wind noise is not uncommon in the lower rear corner of the side glass.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I see the '08 SRT10 has a tall computer module and welded bracket under the DRIVER'S seat, a "Viper First". Is there any reason we cannot carefully relocate this module to the seat bulkhead, and lower the seat 2" ? The wiring looks easy to move. I think a few Vipers get sold just beacuse the Driver's seat could be lowered!

Although it is possible to move the Gateway Module we would have to test it in that location to be able to recommend it. There are no plans at this time to test a relocated Gateway module.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of coating is used on the exterior of the Gen II blocks. I noticed a section beginning to bubble near the thermostat housing. When I swapped over to the JM heads, I also noticed the coating was not on the factory cylinder heads. Is there a specific reason for this?

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I has posted this earlier- you must have skipped it.

Why doesn't Chrysler offer other rear end ratios as an added cost option on the Viper?
I think most Viper enthusiasts were looking for a bigger 1/4 mile differential between the 600 hp Viper and the 505 hp Corvette Z06 during Car & Drivers match up. I know the Viper is about 300lbs heavier and has less rear gears, but I would have guessed 100 hp would have had a bigger impact against the rival Z06.

Thanks

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We will not discuss future product.

Sweet job driving that kind of mileage! The cars love miles!

Sorry - I can see my question could be considered a future product question.

Is there any chance the use of cruise control to avoid getting tickets could be passed along to Viper marketing types?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one was missed also... It is in relation to an 04.

When driving i get an some "creaking" from my top when it is up. It sounds like it is coming from overhead and where the top meets the windshield. If i pull on the driver side handle on the top it stops. Does it need to be adjusted or tightened? Or does it need to be lubricated and if so where and how. Are there any general maintenance procedures for the hardware on the top?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
The 08's are dynoing at 540-546 rwhp according to new Gen 4 owners in this forum. Using the 13% tranny loss for Gen 3's, that is about 627 flywheel hp. Is the tranny loss for the 08 less (say only 9% which would give you 600 flywheel hp) than for the Gen 3's? Or are you guys just making really powerful 08's?

The '08 engine is SAE certified at 600 CBHP. The new SAE procedure (J2723) requires a 3rd party to witness the test and inspect the engine to make sure it is correct and a production engine. The driveline losses should not be significantly different from '06 to '08. The '08's should be more consistent than any previous generation engines with their CNC heads so maybe you are just seeing less variability engine to engine.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Question:
Have any of you ever ridden in a supercharged Viper? If so, what did you think?

Several in the room have ridden in both SuperCharged and Turbocharged Vipers - Verrry fast and Scary fast in that order. Make sure the engine is properly modified internally if you are so inclined to add these self warrantied speed mods.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nader: When driving i get an some "creaking" from my top when it is up. It sounds like it is coming from overhead and where the top meets the windshield. If i pull on the driver side handle on the top it stops. Does it need to be adjusted or tightened? Or does it need to be lubricated and if so where and how. Are there any general maintenance procedures for the hardware on the top?

A: Sometimes there is creaking where the top dowel pins meet the plastic receivers at the corners of the W/S header. You might try applying some silicone lubricant to the pins.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for your time and great answers!
We sure do appreciate this "extra" that you do for us!:headbang:
I have sent an e-mail to the powers that be!

PBR

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
******** We can only keep the SRT folks for about another 5 minutes (or as long as they're willing to hang out and answer questions). If you have any last minute questions....now is the time!!!!

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, as a long-time enthusiast and fan of the Viper in all years, thank you for creating and continuing to develop such an impressive product. Your efforts certainly do not go unnoticed.

Speaking strictly of past products which are entering service shortly, was the current '08 ACR developed as an intended counter move to Chevrolet's then-proposed ZR1?

Personally, I don't fear the reaper and I believe the current '08 line-up and ACR products are top of the heap and therefore there is no need to trump the competition any more than what you already have. Though it remains unclarified to the public if the ACR is what we are supposed to be benchmarking against the ZR1.

That's my one question for the night, guys. Congrats on such a stunning achievement with the entire '08 line-up of Vipers. Job well done. :usa:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader: When driving i get an some "creaking" from my top when it is up. It sounds like it is coming from overhead and where the top meets the windshield. If i pull on the driver side handle on the top it stops. Does it need to be adjusted or tightened? Or does it need to be lubricated and if so where and how. Are there any general maintenance procedures for the hardware on the top?

A: Sometimes there is creaking where the top dowel pins meet the plastic receivers at the corners of the W/S header. You might try applying some silicone lubricant to the pins.

Thanks for all your time. You guys build one hell of a car... Keep it up. We will be sure to let the higher ups know how important the Viper is to Chrysler.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Firstly, as a long-time enthusiast and fan of the Viper in all years, thank you for creating and continuing to develop such an impressive product. Your efforts certainly do not go unnoticed.

Speaking strictly of past products which are entering service shortly, was the current '08 ACR developed as an intended counter move to Chevrolet's then-proposed ZR1?

Personally, I don't fear the reaper and I believe the current '08 line-up and ACR products are top of the heap and therefore there is no need to trump the competition any more than what you already have. Though it remains unclarified to the public if the ACR is what we are supposed to be benchmarking against the ZR1.

That's my one question for the night, guys. Congrats on such a stunning achievement with the entire '08 line-up of Vipers. Job well done. :usa:

Intentional or not, the world will test the pair... and besides with the ACR out first, wouldn't the ZR1 be a counter to the viper???

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you guys have done with the Viper at Dodge is unprecedented in American sports car history. Viper is truly the only American exotic sports car in existence to be a production vehicle and not a "one off" gimmick.

You have created a legacy and raised the bar to a standard that may never be matched or equaled by American car manufacturers. For this I say....

Thank you.:usa:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure this question was answered....

What is the weight of the new optional razor wheel compared to the standard 5-spoke?

Thanks again for your passion and hard work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456