SRT Engineering Chat HERE on September 9th!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Q: I had the compression canister on my KW's rotate while tracking my ACR. It gouged the canister and knocked of the adjustment knob (knob, dust seal, bb to locate knob). I know I have to send them to Germany to have them "Dyno Tested" and a new know installed, but is anyone working on the real problem?

The Canister has nothing except friction to keep it from rotating. No set screw or anything. I love the car BTW and don't want this to sound like a negative post.

A: Yes, we are looking into this with KW.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Fuel Tank Filled? As with 91 vs 93 octane? Or Empty vs Full? Why would the adaptive react more quickly after a fillup? If a guy wants to drag race, besides the "Empty tank" weight advantage, what is the PCM looking for and adjusting for with a full tank ?!?!

The adaptives are looking for changes in the fuel itself, such as vapor pressure, etc... the evaporative emissions system requires both short and long term adapts to meet the regulations for both evaporative and combustion emissions.

If you are racing, you'd want "GOOD" 91 octane, and about a quarter tank. The adaptives will have less of an effect than spark pulled for bad fuel, or for high intake and coolant temps.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
09 Venom asked: "1. Have this same problem on an '09 coupe (noise from the power steering pump when you go around right hand corners hard). ONLY right hand turns. Any thoughts? solutions?

A: Make sure the steering fluid is at the appropriate level.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased an oil filter for my '08 and the product number is just a little bit different than what you have listed. The product # I have is 05038041. Is thas still o.k.? Also, thanks agin for taking the time to speak to the viper nation!!!
Lastly, please confirm the latest and greatest SRT oil filter part number for the Gen IV motors....there seems to be a lot of confusion on this. My owners manual says one part number and aftermarket suppliers of SRT filters list another

Gen III and earlier version of the SRT oil filter 05037836
Gen IV and beyond SRT oil filter 05037041

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that hold true for the Gen 1/2 motors as well? If not, what is recommended for the older cars street and track?

bump

along these lines, some of us also use a mineral 15w-40 (diesel oil in a mostly stock gen 2)

thoughts on this please

TIA

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I recently had the seats, center console, etc. out of my 08 Viper. I was doing a small stereo install. Anyway, I did not disconnect the battery before I unplugged the seats and removed them, nor when I plugged them back in. I now have a airbag light that stays on when the car is cranked. It goes off after a few seconds upon start up, then comes on with a single chime. Then it stays on. I have tried to unhook the battery and let it sit for awhile hoping to "reset" things...no such luck. I am thinking that there is some kind of code that may need to be reset. I have double checked everything and all is the way it was. Is there a way to reset this light without going to the dealer? I did turn the switch to the ON position with the seats out as well while I was verifying that I had the window switches plugged in correctly (left and right) Could this have been when it threw a code? Thanks for any help.....

OK. First things first. I assume you verified that you plugged the the wiring to the seat position sensor on the seat back in. It you verified the wiring connection then the next thing would be to check if the wiring got pinched/crushed when you re-installed the seat. And finally (and worst of all) there is a definite possibility that you fried the Occupant Classification Module (OCM) when you plugged it in hot.:( Always disconnect the battery when connecting and disconnecting electronics.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Thx!!! The mystery is finally cracked. Knowing that there is synthetic filter media I am now a believer in the SRT filter and will ensure it is on both of my snakes and both SRT8's going forward. The only reason I went with an after market filter was the advantages of synthetic media.

You guys are truly master of your trade!

FastZilla asked: "What are the differences between the "specially developed" "SRT" oil filter and the high quality after market offerings of Mobile 1, K&N, etc.

I have read posts that mention:
- filter housing thickness
- stronger bypass springs
- neoprene anti-back flow valve
- 3 ounces heavier than previous Mopar filter
- coarser filter media vs super-fine K&N (and the like)

There are tons of us here that really want and need to know the secret behind the "SRT" filter. I literally am losing sleep over it - I can't accept the SRT filter's superiority on a leap of faith.

We all want the very best for our Vipers - please help us understand the SRT filter.

Thanks in advance!"

The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new 22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the same characteristics.
We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the best features. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended up developing the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (it is different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when we developed it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is the biggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens it allows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element in order to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have a higher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to your powerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brands out there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick ones failed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (and just about every other filter out there). The final result was clean oil to your Snake, all the time, with more pressure to the internals where it is needed. I would fully recommend using this filter in your beast, I do in mine. Hope this info helps. KCC

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
So it begs the question, if the 2003-2006 guys get rid of their runflats(no longer available), how can they tune their suspension for optimal performance that matches the 08/09 Vipers?

Mopar [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]P4510951 [/FONT][/FONT]Coilover Suspension System, 2-Way Adjustable, 2003-09 Viper SRT10 Coupe, (Non-ACR vehicles); or go all the way with the ACR conversion P5155324 ACR SRT10 Shock and Spring Package

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Electronic throttle questions:

09 Venom asked:
2. Will there be further updates to the electronic throttle body delay? I know it is improved over the '08 but there still seems to be room for further improvement."

You would see a further improvement with the Mopar controller.

TrackAire asked: "Thanks for taking the time to visit with us. Glad to see the SRT side of the company is still going strong.

Please explain in technical terms why the GEN IV's have such terrible throttle response. Is it emissions related, to save the drivetrain, limit wheelspin down low, etc?? This has been my biggest dissapointment with my car. My Powerstroke diesel has snappier throttle response from idle than my Viper does.

Besides the Mopar computer upgrade (which I understand helps a little), is there anything else in the works to make this better? If Dodge can't do the upgrade due to emissions, can they make the codes or computer mods available to the aftermarket?

A: You should see a good improvement with the Mopar controller. The electronic throttle control does help us achieve mandated emissions regulations.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for all the valuable insights to our snakes. Will make my 2009 ACR all the more anticipated. It truly is an awesome car and we're fortunate to be able to own one.

Janni

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
CCBrian asked: "I have an 08 ACR that my wife and I open track. The car does suffer from brake fade on a road course after 10 minutes or so. We have upgraded fluid to Motul 600 and went to Mintex pads in front for track days. We even have bled the ABS system out with a DRB- one of the few things a DRB can do on a Gen 4. This helped but we still are gettng some fade. We have a Comp Coupe that I race so we are very familiar with the car and braking system. The cooling ducts to the front brakes seem small-any way to increase airflow to the brakes-say a set-up like our Comp Coupe has? A few others who are fast drivers have had the same experience. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!"

A: We're a little suprised that fade has been an issue for you. Fade has been very low and manageable during our track experience with the ACR. If you're running at tracks with hard braking zones and no long stretches to cool off, you may see some fade. While the ACR is an incredible track machine, it's not a purpose built race car like the Comp Coupe. It sounds like you're doing all the best things to improve fade. There isn't a specific package to improve brake flow for the ACR but the Comp Coupe isn't a bad place to look for ideas.

Last edited:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
If you choose to use mineral oil in your Gen 1 or Gen 2 it would probably be OK. The use of synthetic gives you the extra protection at high oil temps, a bit of extra additive stabilization and tolerance to fuels etc. Change your mineral oil often to avoid it's pitfalls and don't run too hard or too hot. KCC

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you choose to use mineral oil in your Gen 1 or Gen 2 it would probably be OK. The use of synthetic gives you the extra protection at high oil temps, a bit of extra additive stabilization and tolerance to fuels etc. Change your mineral oil often to avoid it's pitfalls and don't run too hard or too hot. KCC

How does the synthetic base oil lead to additive stabilization or tolerance to fuels? The question about mineral oil referenced diesel oil, which has far more additive than a pass car synthetic. Plus, a big chunk of that extra additive is dispersant which will easily take care of fuel by-products (soot, partially burned fuel).

What is your in-house oil now?

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well folks, it looks like the SRT Engineers have wrapped it up on their end for now. Our thanks to the SRT team for staying beyond their normal allotted time!

If there are any other unanswered questions (besides the ACR/deer one ;)), we will forward them on and see if we can get you your answers either in this thread or by PM. Thanks to everybody that took the time to ask questions and to Team SRT for answering them!

Until next time,

Chris

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks but with all the improvements to my car already and the fact that I own it outright, it doesnt make much sense. With that said, I am anxiously awaiting what the next steps are in the evolution of the Viper.

Nader asked: 1) "I have just started doing some research on reaching 580 to 600 rwhp in my 04 Mamba. I want to stay naturally aspirated so I know high flow heads and custom cam with a small bump in compression should get me there. Do you have any recommedations on cam size or compression? Also any thing i should look for and stay away from?

2) My other concern is tuning the car. I have the new sct tuner and hardware so I figure I can get it tuned and run a few different tunes depending on the temp or weather. My question is what are the boundaries of the computer in my 04? She someone be able to tune the car safely and still maintain drivability?

I know these questions should also be asked to the tuners out there but I wanted to see what your opinions are first."

Hmmm. This is why we developed the Gen IV engine package. It has all the things (plus some) that you mentioned. With some tweaks it could do what you are looking for (Blatent ad for you to buy a new car) Seriously what you are asking can be done but it will take a lot of effort and significant funds to get there with your hardware/software without pressure or nitrous. KCC

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the synthetic base oil lead to additive stabilization or tolerance to fuels? The question about mineral oil referenced diesel oil, which has far more additive than a pass car synthetic. Plus, a big chunk of that extra additive is dispersant which will easily take care of fuel by-products (soot, partially burned fuel).

You guys are great, but you really don't want to go head-to-head with Tom in regards to oil/fuels. You'll lose. :D

He's forgotten more than most will ever know. Might want to think about bringing him on to the team as an lubricant ad-visor :2tu:

Mopar [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]P4510951 [/FONT][/FONT]Coilover Suspension System, 2-Way Adjustable, 2003-09 Viper SRT10 Coupe, (Non-ACR vehicles);

Does this mean that the guys with the 2003-2006 need to get the newer shocks off a 2008/09 and they would be set?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you choose to use mineral oil in your Gen 1 or Gen 2 it would probably be OK. KCC

thanks KCC for the reply

tom the reply above and your expertise is all i need (and either stands alone for that matter :2tu:)

He's forgotten more than most will ever know.

yes, i was keying off the emphasis on synthetic and was wondering what the benefit is, esp considering the change intervals

Great being able to talk to SRT

thanks again
:drive:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, you can get the ACR rotors from Mopar:

P5155125 Rotors, Brake, Front Set, Two Piece Slotted Design, 2003-08 Viper

P5155126 Rotors, Brake, Rear Set, Two Piece Slotted Design, 2003-08 Viper[FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Just checked the parts counter at the Dodge dealer today - these are $750 each (list):omg::omg::omg:

I'm betting JonB can do better.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]P4510951 [/FONT][/FONT]Coilover Suspension System, 2-Way Adjustable, 2003-09 Viper SRT10 Coupe, (Non-ACR vehicles); or go all the way with the ACR conversion P5155324 ACR SRT10 Shock and Spring Package

Checked on these today at the Dodge counter too (ACR KW V3). Complete assembly with Springs $1340 each (list):omg: