SRT looks exactly like Sebring from rear

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is noticing this, but the designer of the new Viper must have had the vision of the Sebring. If you look at the convertible Sebring, exactly like an SRT from the rear///

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You post this, but give us no pics? The nerve of you!

:smirk:

edit: I looked around just a little and found this- is this what you are talking about? Looks like they are trying to maintain a Chrysler family image of design cues. This is a good business practice, good for increasing total sales, even if it makes us sports car purists vomit.
180exrrhead_1_.jpg

180IM000266.jpg

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of the new car either, but this is cheating just a little.

If the Viper picture (the one on the bottom!) were from the same low rear angle and you could see the diffuser or the tire area, there would be no mistaking one for the other...

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What? :confused: How does that look the same? OK, there are two tail lights, two tires and a trunk....Yeah, they are EXACTLY alike. :rolleyes:

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Man, I am not a huge SRT fan, but after dropping 2 hits of acid, I think you are right...00PROWLER...

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is always fun to read the SRT10 owner's opinions. they are so driven to deny that the car isnt as aggressive as the genIs and IIs, that it is better looking, and whatever. Hey, i dont try to say my car doesnt look like a clown shoe, so get over it....

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if you are LOOKING for similarities, they can be found in just about every car. I'd say a rear view of a Viper SRT-10 and a Chrysler Sebring look about as similar as a side view of a Viper GTS and a 1970's Corvette Stingray. But, honestly, comments like these are way past tired, worn out, and old. And, no, I am not attacking anyone. Moi? I'm just stating the obvious. :)

You must be registered for see images

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Please don't get me wrong, I think the Sebring is a very agressive looking car, as seen from the back.

ha ha, just kidding

I like the SRT, even if it isn't as radical looking as the Gen1+2 Vipers.

I wouldn't mind owning one, and it does look like a sports car, and even looks mean, in its own angular way.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sebring is aggressive looking? *chuckle* Are you for real? Get the F out! LOL Wait, no, if by aggressive you me like a ball, okay, I agree. *smirk* I mean, after all, a ball IS aggressively round. ;)

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never said i didnt like the SRT, in fact, i would buy one if it was a coupe. but does that mean i like it as much as my gts? no. i think a lot of guys try to justify their purchases b/c they feel that they want their old viper back ;)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i never said i didnt like the SRT, in fact, i would buy one if it was a coupe. but does that mean i like it as much as my gts? no. i think a lot of guys try to justify their purchases b/c they feel that they want their old viper back ;)

I don't know about that. I would bet many of the SRT owners kept their previous Viper. Not a replacement but an addition.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey GenII cars are clown shoes and look downright gaudy at some angles. Overdone, overwrought overkill, and flat out tasteless overall. It's simple too much car. This is why we love it. Buy em up, as although not rare by any means, GenI/II cars will be remembered as outrageous and will probably command outrageous amounts, let's just hope some of us are still kicking to see it. Otherwise the greatgrand-rug rats will dump it off thinking of Grandpa Ryan when they are puttering around in a 63 foot Sunseeker on Gramps, how nice.

SRT is a different beast. I will positively say the braking is a different breed (and therefore lap times) over a GenII after cooking my brakes to near death in my first lap event last Sunday.

That said, how someone can not say those two cars are similarly styled is beyond my grasp.

From CHSML light, rear lower fascia character line, rear plate outline, decklid curving along inboard tailight assembly at same angles, tailight design (seperate reverse bar on SRT is a cool touch).

Drop the chrome rear plate surround and add in the diffuser and I would think 90% of people would not be able to tell the difference. Yes we are the 10%. I tend to notice 345 tires personally.....

That's my opinion, biased of course.

SRT owners chime in about my NGR emitting, yellowed side sill snarling, hanging idled 488 CID that is outstopped by a Caravan as I get my kneecaps replaced from being blownout from a foot offset driving postion. Did I mention I love it???:)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but the CHMSL is one of the differences. Mounted on the rear face of the SRT decklid vs at the base of the rear window on the Sebring. But the similar lines are pretty easy to see. But we could have a chicken or egg question here as Dodge created a family resemblance between its other products and the Viper after the Viper gained success in its auto show introduction. Now the next generation Viper is closer to those that drew from the original, possibly as a result of being more production oriented, and thus closer to their cousins. Just a thought.

BTW, I too would like a little less similarity. But if the sibling similarity is a necessity in order to have a Viper, then let it be so. The SRT is definitely better than no Viper at all. It is trying financial times such as these when product lines such as the Viper are eliminated. Let's be happy that the Viper lives and the opportunity for another generation (coupe???) lives on as well.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that if you are right about the rear end it is the side of the car most people will be looking at most of the time anyway. It is a great car. I love it!

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that the SRT/10 is MORE aggressive than
the Gen I cars! I have owned Two GTSs and an ACR - so I definately prefer the
GEN II Coupe, but I wish they would produce the SRT/10 street coupe!

I can tell you that the SRT is not very photogenic and I did not like the car
from the pictures I have seen. I can tell you that everyone that has seen my
new SRT has commented on how cool it looks or how gorgous it is - the GAWK factor is there!

Among Viper fanatics - there may never be anything as terrific as a GEN II coupe with it's Retro, Muscle car looks, but hey you can always keep your GEN II and get an SRT and still be in for less than a 360 modena and certainly in
for less than the 360 Spider. (now that is one ugly car that I would still like to own!)

2Charmed

OP
OP
B

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Among Viper fanatics - there may never be anything as terrific as a GEN II coupe with it's Retro, Muscle car looks, but hey you can always keep your GEN II and get an SRT and still be in for less than a 360 modena and certainly in
for less than the 360 Spider. (now that is one ugly car that I would still like to own!)

Retro look?? Get serious. Even though the GTS was based on the Daytona, there is nothing retro about this car. The SRT is a total different body. They killed off the Viper. Its like the old Porsche 911's. They ran that body for some 25years until the new Fugly bodys came out. So all you guys that have the new SRT, your just trying to justify the new looks. The car does look like a sebring from the rear..LOOK AT THE PIC..COMMON PLEASE!!!!! IMHO, I was looking to purchase the new SRT. I went to the car show and just hated what they did. Performance wise it's a great car in everway.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The Sebring is aggressive looking? *chuckle* Are you for real? Get the F out! LOL Wait, no, if by aggressive you me like a ball, okay, I agree. *smirk* I mean, after all, a ball IS aggressively round. ;)

Daffy, didn't you see my "ha ha, just kidding"? As if to say, if we can't call the Sebring agressive because it looks bland, then the SRT couldn't be called agressive looking either, by the same token of blandness, at least as seen from the back.

Ok, it was a little obscure, and I didn't really want to pound that one in, because I'm not down on the SRT. It was thinly disguised slight against the SRTs' bland styling.

As a total package, the SRT is acceptably agressive looking, just not as much as the previous model. I'm glad the Viper lives on in the SRT, and in fact is kicking azs performance wise. I just accept it as a whole new design, that doesn't carry the same overall GEN1/2 design theme of dangerous curves. Angles can be dangerous too, like the Stealth fighter. If you insist on dragging my opinion out of me, I have to admit that I like the wild, sensuous curves of my GTS better. But I would only say that if you were twisting my arm, you know. ;)

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but the CHMSL is one of the differences.

Don't be sorry Ron, your entitled to your opinion as am I, if everyone loved the same car or model/year of car things would be pretty bland!

While the location on the CHMSL is different the elliptical design is identical, a radical departure from the beloved Sneaky Pete CHMSL.

GenII for me, if it ever goes it'll be GT40, now there is a design that invoke some passion in this kid! :p

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy, didn't you see my "ha ha, just kidding"? As if to say, if we can't call the Sebring agressive because it looks bland, then the SRT couldn't be called agressive looking either, by the same token of blandness, at least as seen from the back.

Hey, Vic.
Yeah, I knew you were joking, which is why I chuckled, smirked, and winked. I, too, was just going with the fun of it. :D

VivaceViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I would bet many of the SRT owners kept their previous Viper. Not a replacement but an addition.

[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Got the new SRT-10 and kept my '95 RT/10..where one is good 2 is better I always say. Working on having a different one for every day of the week. :D

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm dense, I'll admit it....but at least I get it now.....after you explained it....sigh....

Hey, Vic.
Yeah, I knew you were joking, which is why I chuckled, smirked, and winked. I, too, was just going with the fun of it. :D

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it would look better yellow.. yellow makes everything all better.. LOL

Is that why a bruise turns yellow as a last step before completely healing? Heh-heh.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a car lover thru and thru, but I was very disappointed at the new SRT. I finally saw one in person about a month ago. It reminded me of a Vette, not that there is anything wrong with that...except it is a Viper. I didn't like the pictures of it last year that's why I bought my 2001 (new at dealer) at the beginning of this year. I just couldn't fathom that new SRT in my garage. I am sure people love the new Viper, but do they know what it is??? Do they think it's a Corvette? That would kill me considering the price.