SRT on BBC Top Gear

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well grandpa, everyone's rattling on how the C6 is a technological marvel. Yet the reality is that the LS2 engine produces less power for its size than a Honda Civic base model. Thats not impressive.

The McLaren F1 makes less hp/l than the S2000. Are you more impressed with the S2000's engine? An early 90's CBR600 with carburetors makes about 60% more hp/l than the F1 or Ferrari Enzo. Are you more impressed with the motorcycle engine? A Dodge Neon (not even the SRT-4) makes more hp/l than the Viper. Does that mean it's more impressive? You know, an R/C car engine makes 400+ hp/l. That's more than Formula One cars. Are you impressed by the technology found in R/C car engines?
Like all of my questions, these are not rhetorical. By all means answer them. Go ahead, amuse me.

All that I've read here to impress me is the fuel mileage--and I couldnt care less about that-we're talking high performance sports cars, not econobox's.
Ah...but the C6 flat out tears an NSX a whole new [******], yet sips gas at highway speeds like an econobox. Now that's impressive.
Let me get this straight...You prefer "new tech" cars that are slower and get worse gas mileage? At what point are you going to scrutinize the ridiculous nature of your "logic"?
Would you be impressed by a high performance sports car that gets 2 mpg? Apparently, you don't think twice about a car that has an engine with 40% failure rate, so I would not be surprised if your answer was "yes."

Extracting that much juice from pushrods required such a hot cams, that the thing shakes(literally) nervously at idle.
Obviously you haven't a clue about what you speak. I was at a stoplight just the other day with a 300C not more than 4 feet away. It idled like any other normal car.

And the fuel mileage? oh its great, because half the engine shuts down(MDS)at light throttle and cruise. Gimmicks. Thats how they get these low EPA figures instead of high tech engineering at the source.
Guess what? It appears Honda is into gimmicks as well:
http://www.all4engineers.com/preview.php?cms=&lng=en&alloc=34&id=226
I look forward to hearing you slagging them off too.
Oh, and could you give me even one good reason why a V6 or V8 should be using all cylinders when it doesn't have to, like during light loads at highway cruising speeds?

Oh and emissions? A 'Hemi' is the worst possible design for that. Its pumps out NOx in lumps the size of baseballs. It almost didnt pass at the epa.
And they're going to be building an even larger version with even more hp...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autostream,

Come on HP/L arguments on a Viper forum? Please... :rolleyes:

Outside of Gran Turismo fans and Fast & Furious Groupies, everyone knows that performance cars are ALL about...
PERFORMANCE.

But it is clear that some people do not understand the use of displacement as opposed to complex technologies to get reliable power, and do it for a great price!

What's amazing about the C6 Corvette and the Viper is how well they compete (in performance) against high tech performance cars like the NSX and Ferrari 360. And not only in acceleration alone.

Nobody who cares about real, balanced performance is going to compare a car that fast to anything like Honda Civic (except tiny import car owners of course). :laugh:

Technology for it's own sake can be counter-productive.
Is the goal to have a better performing car, for a relatively good price, or to have a technological masterpiece that is slower, less reliable, and costs much more?

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet the reality is that the LS2 engine produces less power for its size than a Honda Civic base model. Thats not impressive.
Well it's obvious that you are simply not willing (or capable) of evaluating facts. Your statement is wrong of course... the LS2 produces more power for its size than (AFAIK) any mass production engine in existence. I'm sure there might be one or two that squeak by, but it won't be by much. The B16a and F20c certainly are no match for the LS2. But since you seem to be stuck in an intellectual rut there really isn't anything to say that hasn't already been said. I'll leave you to your delusions.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Usually, you see high tech stuff on little engines, like variable valve timing, and variable intake length, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, etc, because they are trying to get a little engine to pump out as much HP as possible. Yes, they achieve higher HP/L figures, and yes, it represents higher technology. But thats all it represents.

A 2valve pushrod engine has less moving parts, more natural low end torque compared to 4valve all else equal, is more reliable in the long run, has lower bearing loading, runs cooler oil, generally turns slower which generally speaking makes for longer wear, and is less expensive to fix.

Manufacturers don't set out to build the best engine they can. They consider the cost factor first, then decide what they can sell it for, and the 2valve pushrod is still a very viable business plan for a large engine.

If you took a big V8 or V10, etc, and put on variable valve timing, variable intake runner length, double overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, you would easily exceed 1000HP. But you would also end up with a huge heavy package, hard to balance the car, hard to fit into an engine bay, and in short it just wouldn't be practical or cost effective. So the trend is towards smaller engines with higher technology.

But in a sports car, I don't want a little high tech engine! Gimme something with some torque, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Something the common man can own and maintain. Thats the Viper philosophy!

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP/L comparisons are a load of crap. If I can have a 500 cube OHV engine that is the same size/weight as a 4.6L DOHC, I'll take it in a minute. If you want to talk HP/L lets talk AA top fuel dragsters. They employ an "ancient" OHV motor and make about 5000-6000 hp. What does that compute to in Hp/L? How come they don't use "high tech" DOHC motors? They can't handle the power reliably.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny that most of the hp per liter crowd own cars that do 14-16 sec 1/4 times stock but tout their cars superiority over American iron that goes 11-12 sec.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's even funnier is how there engines explode upon making any sort of real power. The only way to get any type of power from these motor is forced induction, and were talking mega-boost. More like mega- BOOOMMM. Bye, bye motor.... 1 year without a rebuilt is considered great. LOL

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Srt just ran an 8.13 on the Nurburgring.

Who left the parking brake engaged? :rolleyes:
The car's capable of delivering sub 8's period. :usa:

Ditto. There's no way you can tell me that with better braking and an extra 100hp the SRT is almost 20 seconds slower than a 405hp Z06 with John Heinricy driving(7:56). I would not be surprised at all with a sub 7:50 with a schooled Nurb AND Viper driver at the wheel.

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like i said before, I'm only here because I defend what I believe is honest journalism. 500hp out of 8.3L may be amazing to the people on this forum and those who love nascar. But by european standards, it's pathetic.

And thats what this thread is about, how American cars compare to European cars IN europe.

Top Gear is less concerned about 1/4mile, top speed, and mpg, and more concerned with lap times and price. And in their 11 power laps that are FASTER than the C6, the Vette is NOT the cheapest and its NOT the most fuel efficient.

BTW - The MOST powerful car in the WORLD right NOW...is the AMG CL65. 6.5 liters and it makes 738ft/lbs of torque.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like i said before, I'm only here because I defend what I believe is honest journalism. 500hp out of 8.3L may be amazing to the people on this forum and those who love nascar. But by european standards, it's pathetic.

What is truly pathetic is judging Vipers by the pointless measurement of HP/L, and not by the car's actual performance. What are you thinking?

It's like judging a runner by the size of his lungs.

Believe it or not, the Viper was never designed to compete with other cars in HP/L. :rolleyes: It was designed to compete with other cars on a racetrack and on the street. :2tu:

Anything else is missing the point of the car (gas mileage, trunk capacity, cupholders, HP/L, carpet thickness...).

Is one of the Top Gear tests HP/L?

No. Like you, it's just one of their blind biases that is artifically inflated to pretend like HP/L really has some important value.

But it doesn't.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And thats what this thread is about, how American cars compare to European cars IN europe.

Top Gear is less concerned about 1/4mile, top speed, and mpg, and more concerned with lap times and price. And in their 11 power laps that are FASTER than the C6, the Vette is NOT the cheapest and its NOT the most fuel efficient.

BTW - The MOST powerful car in the WORLD right NOW...is the AMG CL65. 6.5 liters and it makes 738ft/lbs of torque.

Autostream,

You are an ignorant fool, that seems to ignore every legitamate point people are bringing up. You are a known as a TROLL on the internet, perhaps your next stop should be on the Benz forums.

Why you ask on the Benz forums, well its because by your standards that motor is less efficient than a civic. Since it needs forced induction to achieve the same hp/ci. And btw I believe the CL65 is 5.5 liters.

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasnt a judgement of the viper. It wasnt a judgement at all. Its just a fact that by Euro standards, the vipers hp/l is very very low. And thats where we're sending it.
I would judge the viper's performance as great, but $81k is still asking a lot. Though it would be impossible to go faster for less. So therein lies its party piece. Like the Corvette, it the bang for the buck winner. And thats more important in the US than the UK. They complain that the dash looks like it's been made for $8.15, but I dont think the guys on this forum care about that.

But at the end of the day, hp/l and mpg figures arent important. What is important will be a power lap set by a professional impartial driver on a stock car.
I'll throw down this glove:
If the Viper can go around the top gear track faster than the Gallardo (which some here say it can), I will have a newfound respect for it and Chrysler and admit that it's a world ******. But if it's slower than the Corvette, I will then judge it as pathetic. Fair enough?

btw - I dont hate american cars. I think some are just overpriced for what you get. My favorite US car is the GTO. It may have a simple engine, but thats fine by me since it only cost around $30k. And for that, its amazingly great value and fun. I love it.

ps. i am right about the cl65. AMG strokes the mercedes 6.0l into a 6.5l. ez way to figure it out..(general) rule of thumb for Benz and BMW - the numbers usually mean the displacement.

I am normally quiet on the internet, but sometimes i feel compelled to defend something.
Next stop is the Morgan forum so I can tell them how hopeless a wooden chassis is ;)

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps. i am right about the cl65. AMG strokes the mercedes 6.0l into a 6.5l.
Nope, AMG strokes the mercedes 5.5L found in the S600 to 6.0L and calls it the 65. The 55 and lower series correspond to the displacement, but the 600 and 65 series don't. At least per the AMG engine specification.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autostream I really dont get you....Here are some fact you just want to keep ignoring...On US tracks, the Viper has gone toe to toe with Europes best and has beaten a good bit of them "stock to stock".....When the GTS first came out few cars could beat it...Porsches 911 tt couldnt beat it, most Ferrari's couldnt beat it and it dont get much better than Ferrari for hp/ltr..Even today it would still give the newer exotics a run for the money. The old GTS was still faster around a track than the new 911 tt in one of the recent tests. Does that not count???

The Viper has already proven itself to those who dont have there heads in there asses. Why does it have to beat the Galardo for YOU to see the light??? All the other European supercars its already beaten or competed with doesnt prove anything to you eh? Im not even gonna dwell on how these hp/Ltr challenged snakes laid waste to Europes best hp/Ltr kings in all different racing venues IN EUROPE like FIA GT, Le Mans etc...

Its all just going over your head anyway....You just cant see that HP/LTR means jack **** when you are getting your *** kicked on the street/track. If HP/LTR was that important in a performance car the Vette?Viper just would not stand a chance on street/strip/track. The fact that they dominate racing street/strip/track against your hp/ltr champs ***/Euro cars should tell you something if you would only take the blinders off.

On a racetrack Ill pit the Viper against any car lower than a Hyperexotic and it will have a chance to win...It was tuned for the track not the Ring and its undulating surfaces...Case in point the 04 Vette was tuned on the Ring and it tied the GT3 Porsche time...The Viper wasnt tuned for that so it didnt do well...Its really not hard to figure it out..

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....On US tracks.....around a track....one of the recent tests....

I am getting the feeling that YOU think the Dodge WON'T beat the LAMBO?

The SRT-10 has more HP and a helluva lot more torque than the Gallardo. And the Lambo is 4wd, which on a dry track, makes it slower. So, the Viper would NOT even have to OUT handle it to beat it.

The hp/l figures dont make you go any faster, but in terms of technology-it puts you at the bottom of the list. But i dont wanna hijack this thread any further.

The title of THIS Thread says its about Top Gear, so thats why their track is important here. There are a zillion tracks in the world and guys with stopwatch's can claim anything they want.

But for this topic, this time, and in Surrey, London. Its gonna be done in the name of scientific endeavor and under controlled circumstances.

What are your bets?

p.s. the GT3 is not even in the Vette's league. It's time was a wet time, which i stated earlier. In the dry, it's in the Zonda and Koenieggsegggg territory.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im gonna try one more time and then Im done wit ya :p ...I see everything I tried to get across to you has gone over your head yet again....I made my argument about the Viper beating Euro hp/ltr cars to show you it has proven itself so it doesnt need to beat the Gallardo to prove anything...Only in your mind does beating the Gallardo prove the Viper is legitimate...

BTW AWD doesnt make a car slower on the dry track..Tell that to Mitsubishi, Subaru and Nissan and see what they tell you....Do you also see the Audi's in Scca series? You do know once upon a time Audi awd were banned from racing because it was an unfair advantage...."Hint"..It didnt make them slower. It does rob the engine of some power but you would notice that more in 1/4ing than in circuit racing...Your et's would be low but the mph would be down a bit compared to similarly powered rwd cars...

Yet again you miss what I wrote...The GT3 and Vette tied on the NURBURGRING not Top Gears test track. Im gonna say this slooow.....An American car tuned on a European testing venue ran with one of Europes best....Just showing that the deficiency that the SRT10 showed at the Nurburgring could easily be fixed if it were tuned for that venue...Seee...

Regardless of outcome on Top Gear I cant wait to see the show...

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT-10 has more HP and a helluva lot more torque than the Gallardo. And the Lambo is 4wd, which on a dry track, makes it slower. So, the Viper would NOT even have to OUT handle it to beat it.

Actually, the Lambo is liable to have much better traction coming out of those really tight corners than the Viper. Floor it and it'll just hook up and go. If the Stig hasn't driven too many cars like the Viper (not exactly featherweight, with loads of hp/torque, no traction control, super-quick steering), he's gonna be in a bigger mess than he was with the C6. The Gallardo's AWD, more weight over the primarily rear driven wheels (being mid-engined also helps braking), plus being a closed coupe are all things in its favor. As well as slightly shorter gearing. The AWD can actually help lower the CoG, as does the dry sump lubrication system. Of course, you can't exactly get this by simply ticking of the "Free Upgrades" box at your Lambo dealer.

The TopGear track is very tight, having been designed by Lotus and used for its own car development. The Viper won't necessarily excel here based merely on its hp and torque. In the hands of a driver not used to such a car, it's actually a liability. Hope he gets as many tries as he did in the Carrera GT to get it right. Speaking of which, the TopGear site doesn't show it, but there are even faster cars on there. And by a significant margin too. The lightweight Radicals and such. Cars that don't have nearly the hp of the Carrera GT. Hp is important, but it takes a back seat when gearing, weight, tires (the Viper's runflats don't help here), track setup, and other factors come into play.

Still can't explain the S2000/McLaren F1 thing, I see...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line: Anyone who bases there opinions on biased magazines, TV shows, or brand loyal enthusiast is a complete and utter *****. Hint.....

Step away from your computer, stop watching the dummy tube, and get to a real track. When you have done this for a year or more, visited several different tracks, and attended many events, then (and only then) might listen to your opinion. Otherwise, please return to the VTECH page.

Here's reality - Vipers, Z06, and Porsche's consistently post the best times on road courses. Live with it.....

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so many thoughts and none on the SRT-10's power lap times...????

I never base my views on obviously biased tv shows like, CarandDriver Tv, Motorweek, MotorTrend television, or any other media that are afraid to badmouth their advertisers.

FACT: ALL things being equal, 4wd on a dry track is slower than 2wd (except dirt)

I dont wanna get off topic but if you really want my thoughts about the f1 and s2000, i'll play.

first lets take a look at the figures:

Horsepower/Liter
113 SLR , 626hp , 5.5 8cyl , NA
110.9 BMW M3 , 333hp , 3.2 6cyl , NA
109 S2000 , 240hp , 2.2 4cyl ,NA
106 Carrera GT,605hp, 5.7 10cyl,NA
102 MclarenF1 , 627hp, 6.1 12cyl,NA

97.0 TVR T350 , 350hp , 3.6 6cyl , NA
92.8 Porsche 997 , 355hp , 3.8 6cyl , NA
91.2 Acura NSX , 290hp , 3.2 6cyl , NA

67.8 Corvette C6 , 400hp , 6.0 8cyl , NA
60.2 Dodge SRT10 , 500hp , 8.3 10cyl , NA

Right off the bat, a smaller engine of identical design will have slightly higher hp/l ratios just because of physics. gravity, friction and other stuff- im not a scientist, just google it.
Now the hp/l figures for the F1 and S2k are very close. And considering there is a 8 cylinder and 4 liter difference- you have to admit the F1 is still very impressive despite hondas best efforts. But the F1 is ancient (what is it going on 15 years now?), designed in a day where drafting boards were more common in design studios than computers.
Fortunately, Mclaren has had another try at it. Their new car is called the SLR. And as you can see, it blitzed that crumby chart I made. Of course that is s/c so you may feel thats not a fair comparison.
In that case, the Carrera GT has the same amount of cylinders as the viper, yet has LESS displacement and MORE horsepower. So I guess technology might be the replacement for displacement.
Of course you might argue that it cost 3 times as much and i'd agree that its an unfair comparison.
But the 2005 BMW M5 isnt. Its roughly the same price with the same number of cylinders. But with an astonishing
hp/l of 101.4 NA
That is simply awesome and in my opinion the most impressive of any car for the $

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, the S2000 engine is by industry standards, an impressive one. I have to give honda credit, but I'd never be caught dead in one.

But I would die for this...
An perfect example of high technology. $85k, V10, 9k redline, 507hp, 10 individual throttle butterflies, most powerful engine control computer in the world, 7-speed tranny with computer controlled line-lock. Extra-ordinary value for $$$!!
You must be registered for see images

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again with the HP/L crap. :eek:

Maybe it's a reading retention issue with you. :eek:

I suppose that it's true that if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If you cannot learn properly, you will never truly understand. :confused:

Try baby steps first...no more HP/L. :p

Then try to fill in the blank...

With performance cars, the most important thing is actual _________. :2tu:

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FACT: ALL things being equal, 4wd on a dry track is slower than 2wd (except dirt)
Ah, but were all things equal when Audi campaigned its AWD Quattro racecars in SCCA and IMSA competition? Not really. Before they were banned, the sanctioning bodies imposed even tougher inlet restrictions on them than they started out with. On top of that, they penalized them with additional ballast in an effort to even out the field.
As I recall, a similar scenario played out in the Australians Nations Cup, with the old R32 Skyline GTR (which too was eventually banned). Do you really think Lamborghini adopted AWD for both its Murcielago and Gallardo so that customers could take their cars to the slopes? Next thing you know, you'll be saying the Mitsubishi Evo's performance on the TopGear track had nothing to do with its AWD.

I dont wanna get off topic but if you really want my thoughts about the f1 and s2000, i'll play.

first lets take a look at the figures:

Horsepower/Liter
113 SLR , 626hp , 5.5 8cyl , NA
110.9 BMW M3 , 333hp , 3.2 6cyl , NA
109 S2000 , 240hp , 2.2 4cyl ,NA
106 Carrera GT,605hp, 5.7 10cyl,NA
102 MclarenF1 , 627hp, 6.1 12cyl,NA

97.0 TVR T350 , 350hp , 3.6 6cyl , NA
92.8 Porsche 997 , 355hp , 3.8 6cyl , NA
91.2 Acura NSX , 290hp , 3.2 6cyl , NA

67.8 Corvette C6 , 400hp , 6.0 8cyl , NA
60.2 Dodge SRT10 , 500hp , 8.3 10cyl , NA

Right off the bat, a smaller engine of identical design will have slightly higher hp/l ratios just because of physics. gravity, friction and other stuff- im not a scientist, just google it.

Aha, excellent! Now you're trying to use your head. Or at least, your fingers. Big problems with larger engines are indeed friction (larger bearing surfaces) and reciprocating mass (try shadowboxing with a 2-lb dumbell; then try again with a 5-lb weight and see if there's any difference; when we're talking about 6000 rpm crankshaft rotation, the reciprocating weight involved, the mechanical stresses on the cranshaft, bearing journals, rods, wrist pistons...it's a whole different ballgame if you're looking at puny R/C car engines compared to motorcycle engines compared to 3.2-liter straight-6's compared to 8.3-liter engines). There's also the matter of flame path management in engines with larger diamter bores, and trying to maintain a high compression ratio as you would on a much smaller engine. If you get a car with a very short stroke, well, you can reduce these mechanical losses. That's largely why Formula One engines can rev to 18K+ rpm, via ~41mm strokes. Compare that with 84mm for the S2000. 101mm for the Viper.
Point being: Simple physics should tell you that, all else being equal, a much larger engine should not have the same specific output as a smaller engine. To assume otherwise is like saying since a car has twice as much horsepower, its top speed should be twice as much. This sort of simple, linear algebraic expectation of how things should work flies in the very face of reality.

Now the hp/l figures for the F1 and S2k are very close. And considering there is a 8 cylinder and 4 liter difference- you have to admit the F1 is still very impressive despite hondas best efforts. But the F1 is ancient (what is it going on 15 years now?), designed in a day where drafting boards were more common in design studios than computers.
To put it mildly. The McLaren F1's engine is a monumentally more impressive engine than the S2000, despite its lower specific output. Are you familiar with the Honda connection on the McLaren F1? Gordon Murray asked Honda to build him a phenomenal engine for his cost-almost-no-object supercar. (Honda at the time was doing McLaren's Formula One partner.) He had a target of 100 hp/l hp out of the engine. At first, it would be be a 3.5-liter engine. Enough, he reckoned, considering the lightweight build process his car would undergo. And Honda was genuinely interested. But then, Jaguar and Bugatti released supercars with considerably more than 350 hp. So he raised his displacement requirement to 5.3 liters. Honda was no longer interested. Even Honda, one of the prime engine builders in arguably the most advanced motor sport in the world, saw the monumental challenge of wringing out 100 hp/l from a large naturally aspirated engine, and got cold feet. Which makes it all the more amazing what BMW managed to do with its V12. 2.0-liters @ 120 hp/l? That's mere child's play compared with trying to extract only a little bit less from a much larger engine. The estimated price tag of $200K for a BMW S70/2 should put that into perspective.
Oh, and for the '04 model year, the S2000 is actually down on specific output. Ever wondered why?

In that case, the Carrera GT has the same amount of cylinders as the viper, yet has LESS displacement and MORE horsepower. So I guess technology might be the replacement for displacement.
If that were true, then Porsche's primary sports car, the 911, would still be a 2.0-liter engine. Every succeeding generation, the Porsche flat-6 gets larger. Why's that?
And why do you suppose they went with a large N/A engine in the Carrera GT, when they could have gotten that much power out a smaller engine? Because *peak power* is only part of what makes a good engine good. And the available technology disparity between the S2000 and the McLaren F1 won't work here: The Porsche V10 is much newer than the S2000. Yet it doesn't put out as much hp/l. Does this make it less impressive? By your standard, it most certainly seems that way. Simple fact is, Porsche doesn't need to match or exceed Honda's 120 hp/l figure because it's *already got so much power and torque already*.

Of course you might argue that it cost 3 times as much and i'd agree that its an unfair comparison.
Well, at least you're honest in admitting that you like to make unfair comparisons.

But the 2005 BMW M5 isnt. Its roughly the same price with the same number of cylinders. But with an astonishing
hp/l of 101.4 NA
That is simply awesome and in my opinion the most impressive of any car for the $

The M5 can be that cheap (relatively speaking) because it's already built on an existing, mass-produced unibody platform largely assembled by robots. If it were handbuilt from the ground up the way the Viper is (and in such limited quantities), it wouldn't be nearly as cheap, now would it?
The old M5 V8 cost $30K each. The Viper's V10 is nowhere near that.
Speaking of the M5, remember when it first came out? It had a 3.5-liter I-6. It gradually grew until the E39 came out. 4.9-liter V8. Now it's got a V10 that's 43% larger than the first M5. And now word has it that the next M3 will get a V8. Remember when the M3 had a 3.0-liter I6? Remember when the M3 had a 2.3-liter I4? Hmmm...notice the trend.

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The M3 example cited is interesting since I have one. The engine is magnificent. It is the most highly tuned naturally aspirated engine in a production car. It is also prone to self-destruction. Fortunately, BMW firmly stands behind it, but it may be the reason for the M3 moving up to a larger V8 next time around.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there gonna be an article about the SRT-10 review in their magazine? If yes, in which number?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again with the HP/L crap. :eek:

Maybe it's a reading retention issue with you. :eek:

I suppose that it's true that if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If you cannot learn properly, you will never truly understand. :confused:

Try baby steps first...no more HP/L. :p

Then try to fill in the blank...

With performance cars, the most important thing is actual _________. :2tu:

Snakester,

It's like talking to a cement wall... Since he refuses to answer your question, let me....

PERFORMANCE!

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, but were all things equal when Audi campaigned its AWD Quattro racecars in SCCA and IMSA competition? Not really. Before they were banned, the sanctioning bodies imposed even tougher inlet restrictions on them than they started out with. On top of that, they penalized them with additional ballast in an effort to even out the field.
As I recall, a similar scenario played out in the Australians Nations Cup, with the old R32 Skyline GTR (which too was eventually banned). Do you really think Lamborghini adopted AWD for both its Murcielago and Gallardo so that customers could take their cars to the slopes? Next thing you know, you'll be saying the Mitsubishi Evo's performance on the TopGear track had nothing to do with its AWD.
AWD is the biggest BS myth(scam) in the auto industry. Its amazing on the wet/dirt/slippery. In the dry however:

It does not;
- hold the road better (generally speaking)
- increase safety
- brake better
- go faster in slalom.

The reason Audi's AWD were banned was because the only unfair advantage AWD offered was that they dont eat tires as fast as 2wd. Quattro could never get the single best lap times. But managing their tires better did the difference.
Hardly an advantage for the street or a single lap.
They were also banned from BTCC(touring car) because most of the crowd was FWD.

The EVO was actually hampered by its AWD in the DRY by its extra weight and friction losses. In theory, if the same car in RWD version went around the track again, it would post a faster time.

Lambo's use AWD for only one reason. The same reason subura uses it. A marketing scheme, or more importantly to lambo, bragging rights. Performance wise, unless they are planning to rally it, makes no sense. And the clutch isnt built to american standards, so it'll just burn off the line if you launch it hard. So for drag racing, its hampered by it as well. And normally these cars get driven rarely. And when they do, its more likely a sunny sunday than a rainy one.

When Porsche makes racing versions out of its cars, they dont use their AWD system; all RWD (GT,GT2,GT3)

The M5 can be that cheap (.....If it were handbuilt from the ground up the way the Viper is (and in such limited quantities), it wouldn't be nearly as cheap, now would it?

This is what I've been trying to say the whole time. The Viper and Vette arent bad cars, they are just over-priced. For $50k, I'd have an SRT-10 in my garage, def!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang