SRT Purchase questions

CCHH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking a bout buying a 2006 blue Viper SRT convertible….but I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with.

1)Will a Viper work as a daily driver? When I have driven the car it seems like it would be fine…but, I have never know anyone that uses one for daily use. Are there heat or other issues that make this more of a weekend use vehicle?

2)Is it true that ’06 is the last year for this body style? If so is the value likely to drop sharply when the new body style comes out?

3)I have been hearing about great discounts on the Convertibles (10K+)…How much of a deal can I truly expect to get?

Thanks for the help.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would change the exhaust to remove the crossovers if I was going to use it as a daily driver (to reduce the heat), although the air conditioning works fine in the SRTs, I don't think there is going to be a draastic change in the body style (just my opinion). Yes there are some great deals out there right now, which you will not get on a new one if you are waiting on the next model. I think it is an excellent time to buy if you are not hung up on the horsepower war, and even if you are, for the huge discounts that are being offered you can spend the money on a blower and not have to worry about the horsepower :2tu:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Yes. I use my GTS as a daily driver and the SRT-10 is a much better car in every way (save the looks - although still a great looking car) than the gen 2 Viper. You should have no problem with it as a daily, especially if you follow PaViper's advice regarding the exhaust.

2) No. The '08 Viper will look very much like the '06 with a freshened front clip.

3) You'll have to shop around for a deal on a 'vert, but there are some great deals out there. Check with the typical dealers mentioned on this site (Woodhouse, Tators, Ringgold, Roanoke, etc).

Clifton Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought an 05 Copperhead (new) last month for well under invoice after bidding on several on eBay. I had a few sellers contact me after I had already committed so there are plenty of deals on 05's if you don't absolutely have to have an 06.

PM me if you want the details on price...

I echo PaViper and MoparMan on swapping the exhaust. The open air commute is tough when it's 90+ degrees out but otherwise makes a good daily driver.

I am going to install the Corsa exhaust with cats as soon as I find some time.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.If you don't have an issue with are the obvious possible problems, with the Viper, it fine for daily driving.

2.Minimal body changes are expected in 2008.

3.Shop around. When dealers have a Viper they need to move, playing hard balls can save you thousands. Viper ‘BUYERS” have always been few and far between. If they think your serious, they’ll go after the sale. In my experience.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are lots of deals available on leftover 2005 convertibles. Check around. If your heart is set on a blue 2006, that's a real good choice: the production numbers in that color are around 84 or so. (They also look great!) It might be difficult to get a smoking deal on that particular car, but you could take comfort in knowing you have one of the rarest colors.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you really want it, you will end up buying anyway. I think it can be driven daily, but living in the NYC area like I do, it gets a little tough (no issue with comfort, but the traffic and drivers here are crazy).
Call Bill P. at Woodhouse for the price, that's where nI bought the exact car (pics in my gallery)

Don't forget blue is the fastest convertible :nana:

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Charley, I bought my Blue 06 SRT from Bill P. from Woodhouse. I am selling it right now. Contact me at [email protected]. I also have the ad on the VCA classifieds.

10244IMG_0321-med.JPG

You can check out more pics in my gallery.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's my only car! It's a good daily driver - no complaints. The A/C works fine for the hot days. My only modification is the computer reflash from DC Performance which I highly recommend.

You will suffer depreciation but not as bad as other cars.

Best deals are found on the 04s & 05s. As mentioned by others above, you will find a great deal on an 06 if you shop around which is what I did almost a year ago.

If you wait for the latest and greatest, you may pay a premium not to mention the wait. I find the power to be more than satifactory and there's nothing for the money with the top down that accelerates, turns, corners, shifts, and brakes as good as this car. Reliability and simplicity are other pluses.

Depending on what you are used to driving, there may be some adjustment but in my case it was not problem. The car I got out of (I regret trading it in but the financial pain would have been too high) was a 2003 Infinity M45, a great car.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased(my first viper) a blue with silver stripes 2006 SRT 10 coupe from elite autos in Jonesboro AR with 400 miles on it. Got mine for 17000 under invoice. With air on ,no heat problem at all on inside. My advice - Get you one-get it right away. You wont be sorry

Man I am retired and it makes me feel 40 years younger when I get in that car. That feeling alone makes it worth every penny. Amen ;)

OP
OP
C

CCHH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great advice! One additional question....How is the reliability of this car?

Thanks again for the help.

Charley

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I drove my Gen 1 as a daily driver for 9 years.

I now have and SRT-10 and it is like driving a Caddy compared to the '95. Almost too tame and easy to live with........I do miss the '95...

GregSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my first Viper, a 2005 silver Mamba (191/200) four months ago. The fun factor is off the scale. Just passed 2,000 miles and have loved every mile of it. No regrets!
Greg

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...How is the reliability of this car?

I'm on my 2nd, and will probably always own one.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking a bout buying a 2006 blue Viper SRT convertible….but I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with.

1)Will a Viper work as a daily driver? When I have driven the car it seems like it would be fine…but, I have never know anyone that uses one for daily use. Are there heat or other issues that make this more of a weekend use vehicle?

Yes it is possible. Only thing you have to worry about is parking it and where you are going to park it. This car attracts a lot of attention resulting in a few jealous people. You know what that can lead to.

2)Is it true that ’06 is the last year for this body style? If so is the value likely to drop sharply when the new body style comes out?

Unconfirmed. We will all find out in 2008.

3)I have been hearing about great discounts on the Convertibles (10K+)…How much of a deal can I truly expect to get?

Yes there are great deals out there but a Blue convertible is hard to get under $75K. If you get one for $75K that is new or rather new, you got an EXCELLENT deal. You are looking more like $77,000 - $80,000. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH AND KEEP US UPDATED.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know where you live , but if you are in the New England area, you might want to look up Pappas Dodge in New Britian,CT and Fitgeralds Motorsports in laconia, NH.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang