SRT Rear End/Differential--Big Problems, DC Needs to Fix This!

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the process of having a 3.55 gear put in my viper. After a bit of research it is my opinion that there is a big problem that needs to be addressed by DC. There are numerous threads on the board that discuss unexplained differential faiulures for many causes: broken carrier pin, spiders gears, etc. The guys installing my gear have spent quite a bit of time in discussions with Devin at Unitrax and have told me they do not think it is safe to continue to track my car until this issue is resolved. The temporary fix I am undertaking is to install the hardened carrier pin and to send my spider gears to Unitrax to be hardened as well.

They are telling me that there have been differential failures left and right. If this has happened to you please speak up and post. If there is enough chatter on this site maybe we can get DC to address the issue sooner rather than later. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of 2003 SRT's with their rear ends locking up now that the cars are old enough to have a few miles on them. I have seen two threads were there was a significant event involving the rearend locking up that caused the driver to lose control of the car. One of the indivuduals was hurt I believe and currently is seeking litigation against DC.

I was also informed that the comp coupe rear is not the same and replacing with this would be a fix. If anyone can comment on this please do so. The company that makes the posi unit for the comp coupe is Ricardo (sp?)--this will be something I am going to research. Can you order a comp coupe rear end from Dodge?

Thanks

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the company that makes components the CC rear end is Ricardo. Yes, you can order a CC rear end. Archer Racing has them in stock. I have not had any trouble with my 2003 with 6,000 track miles, but considering installing a Quaiffe this summer, which is even better than a CC setup.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track? You talking road course or drag strip? If it is the drag strip - I am not sure you're gonna get much help - something has to be the week link - in Gen I / Gen II it was the half shafts. Launches are pretty ******* a drivetrain and it's possible that the SRT diff just isn't designed for that. Not sure you want a comp coupe diff or Quaiffe either, as I am not sure you want the same characteristics in a drag diff as a road course diff.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a Quaife dif in my car.

Cost for a Quaife dif is about $3000

Haven't driven it yet.

I will report my findings as soon as I'm able to get to the track.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, I'm on my second diff, 4th set of ring and pinion gears and second hydrolock. The hydrolock "locked up" at 70 mph on the freeway while cruising in 6th gear. Lucky no other cars were next to me.

These problems were all Pre-Paxton, so mostly a stock car with headers. No hard launches or power shifts, just some spirited driving. Yes, there is definitely a problem with these diffs. The hydrolock diff does not belong in a Viper, they belong in a Jeep.

This, and many other basic reasons - like the oiling problems on the track, this car should have a dry sump oiling system. The emergency brake cable must be relocated to install 18-inch track type tires (drag radials or Hoosiers). The CV joints are undersized and relatively weak, another potential problem area. These and other issues are why I'll wait to buy a new coupe after these very basic weaknesses are resolved.

Good luck,

Dan

The car is touted as being race ready, it isn't.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow – this is pretty scary stuff. Makes me glad I’m keeping my car stock. At least when it breaks, the dealer and DC can’t blame it on the mods.

Bone Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone:

There is definitely a problem w/ diff/axle(spider gears). DC must know about this problem. I myself posted a thread last wk. I almost got killed. The car got totalled. I was in rush hr traffic. Light turned green, I started in 1st gear and next thing you know, when I shifted in 2nd gear, the car started doing 360 on me. The curb brought me to a crashing stop. Thank G-d no one including myself or other cars got hurt/damaged. I talked to Devin at Unitrax and he confirmed that there is definitely a weak link and he has had to fix few of these and has told DANA about the problem but to no avail thus far. He said the CC by Ricardo is the way to go. When I told him about my accident, he is pretty sure the axle just grenaded. I'm going to have my car shipped to him to so he can autopsy it.
Viper X and I are very lucky. The experience was very terrifying. Sooner or later something bad is doing to happen to someone if nothing is done about this problem.
VNMOUS, did u find out about the problem during routine mods or did u experience a problem w/ your car?
I'll let everyone know what Unitrax turned up in my car. Thanks
Hooman

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on guys! Thanks to the posts of some of our more knowledgeable Viper owners, we all know that the SRT-10s are "bullet-proof". Any manifestation of mechanical problems with the Vipers only exist in the heads of the "anti-DC" posters.

Still, when you read posts like "1400 miles on my Viper and no problems so far", it does seem that people have been brainwashed to expect and accept dodge's shoddy workmanship with the SRT-10s.

Good luck with getting dc to do anything with clutch or diff failures.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are DCs reps saying? Seems they have been very good on the valve recall, the headlights recall and so on. My car seems to have been fixed better than new.

So it seems odd they would ignore a serious safety issue.
Doesn't make sense. Are they talking to you?

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'm not trying to start anything with this question, I'm only curios, Would any of you buy a VIPER again ?
If yes, why ?
Viper X, Question, having similar set up on my SRT, what should I be concerned about the most, I have no problems yet, but With the added HP I expect problems any time now ...

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'm not trying to start anything with this question, I'm only curios, Would any of you buy a VIPER again ?
If yes, why ?

If my new (to me) Viper lasts long enough I won't have to buy another, but to get to your point, I did exactly that. I had a 96 Viper, which had a variety of small issues that I had my Viper Tech straighten out. But my 96 didn't have real windows or a top that worked, so I went back to my second Corvette, a truly terrific 04 C5 Black Coupe. Just after I did a 5 hour ride back from Tahoe over Emigrant pass in 28 degree weather. I wanted a car with windows and a removable top. The Vette did it all. Wonderful, flawless, easy to live with car.

Six months later, I'm in Steve Z's former 03 SRT-10 and loving every minute of it. Do I anticipate maybe having to change out the rear gears? Sure. I was gong to go to 3:55s anyway. Will I get rid of some of the catalytic converters, and see what I can do to reduce sill heat, and maybe footwell heat. Yup.

I almost bought a Ferrari Testarossa instead of my second Viper. But the maintenance costs and worries scared me off. If someone wanted to trade a Ferrari 360 Spider straight across the boards, I might do that. But short of that, the Viper fits my needs for an exotic supercar, with all the right sounds and feels.

And, if you haven't taken Skip Barber's Viper class, I heartily recommend it. Not just for what you will learn in your own driving, but for the fun of sitting in the passenger seat at the end of the day when the instructors do their best to drift an autocross course. You will be amazed at what your SRT-10 can do in the right hands.

Unlike others, I find the seats very comfortable. I love the power. I love the fact that an American car gets as much attention as a Ferrari, and more than a Porsche Turbo. I'm going back to attending VCA Northern dinners, where some very nice people hang out.

There is just something special about the Viper. It has a real MUSCLE CAR feel, but with handling and braking more similar to a race car. It just makes me feel good to be driving it. And so, yes, I would buy another. I did.

:usa: :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The Viper is not really American anymore, its German. Well, at least the profits, (if any) go to Germany. The Daimler/Chrysler thing was suppossed to a merger, but it was total takeover. DC calls all the shots now. Its about as American as Toyotas made in Tennesee. Anyway-

If there is any personal injury/wrongful death lawsuits pending concerning the SRT axle failures, its not likely they will do anything about the SRT rear axle, because it would lend credence to the plaintiff's case. At this point, it might be cheaper for DC to just do a quiet TSB. But even that would show they knew there was a problem, so they probably have their hands tied now, and can't step up to the plate and take some action anymore. They sure did something positive when it came to the Gen3 "bog", headlights, and the valves, and the Gen2 frame. Why is this issue any different? Those recalls or TSB actions might have been different, maybe because there was nothing riding on it, legally speaking.

I don't know if the above is true, but you gotta wonder why, when this is obviously a serious problem, they don't do anything about it. The first failures were in 2003, and now its 2005, and still a number of the rear axles are failing. There's gotta be some financial and/or legal reason nothing has been done. Maybe its the cost of new diffs? I dunno... Hope no one hits a wall over this...

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will all end up with a Quaife diff. They are very streatable. As a matter of fact, there characteristics, on the street are superior. I did a lot of talking about this on another post.

I really don't know what's going on with the Viper diff. I've never had a problem, but I avoid severe launching. I like to get the car rolling, but I've done some pretty hard launches on the street and at the track. I've got a pretty mean set of drag radials on the car, and still no problems, not to mention a very aggresive clutch. I did upgrade the cross pin with a Unitrax designed pin, and this pin is superior to the upgrade Dodge has went to. I'll have an automatic in the car next month, and these are very forgiving on the diff.

Skip White

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
So Dodge did do something! An "upgraded pin"...What about the gear heat treatment?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

It seems the Viper's witht the problems are pretty well modded with 100 plus horsepower. C'mon guys, the Viper SRT-10 was designed (and OVER-designed) to handle just about anything you can throw at it... in STOCK form.

Now my SRT-10 also has some pretty good engine mods installed by Woodhouse. New heads, Cam, gears (.373) under-drive pulley, race piggy-back computer for WOT, etc. Mods gave me an extra 80hp and 80lbs torque. I love it. Oh, Corsa Track Exhaust too.

I really can't expect Dodge/DC to stand by repairs caused by my adding almost 20% more HP and Torque! Do you?

Let's be fair here. The SRT-10 can really be practically abused by a driver in stock form... and it keeps on going. Pretty darn reliable if you ask me. Please keep your personal mods in perspective before you/we start ragging on D/C.

If I am wrong, please do correct me! The folks with the mods seem to be the ones complaining (remember, I have mods too- but no problems to date).

Thanks,

Jim W.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"Let's be fair here. The SRT-10 can really be practically abused by a driver in stock form... and it keeps on going. Pretty darn reliable if you ask me. Please keep your personal mods in perspective before you/we start ragging on D/C.
'

JIM, like you I have no problems yet, but we seem to be the lucky ones ? The problems stated above was pre mod in most cases as VIPER X states so clearly, and the same with vnmous, BONEHEAD AND REDSRT. Most people beef up their Viper after adding major HPS to it, I haven't yet, but I will not be surprised, or mad if and when something gives...But for stock Vipers problems like the one stated, that's a different story. I knew what I was buying when I bought my second Viper and that's why I have a different attitude towards DC. I had the choice of not buying the car, but I did...

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We will all end up with a Quaife diff. They are very streatable. As a matter of fact, there characteristics, on the street are superior. I did a lot of talking about this on another post.

Skip White

SRT-4's come standard with Quaife diff. Classic case of the pony outperforming the horse.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey DSR207,

I don't know why I've had diff failures. I would recommend no hard launches and no power shifting, as Skip does. For those of you who haven't had diff failures yet, YOU WILL, it's just a matter of miles.

My 4th set of ring and pinion gears is now noisy again after about 3,000 miles (total on car = 13,500). This one was a completely new carrier, new Dana gears, hardened pin, larger bolts wired together, the works.

The common thread between all of these failures is that the gear ratio is 3.55. I'll probably go back to 3.07s when this one fails, and that should be soon.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks VIPER X, I did keep the 3.07 on mine, I wonder if that is what's keeping me out of trouble, The car spins too much with 3.07 so there was no way I was going to 3.55 and spin even more..

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why I've had diff failures. I would recommend no hard launches and no power shifting

Didn't stop this guy....

18281563viper_srt_chunk2_0001.jpg

and no problems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960