SRT Viper Vs. Corvette C7 - Seeing both in under 24 hours...

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this past weekend, Dad and I took the Dart for it's first long journey out to Pocono Raceway for the Indycar 400. The car did great, very smooth and made 35 mpg on average. In fact it did so great we only burned a 1/4 tank for the whole trip.

But that's not what the threads about...

As we went down through the tunnel to the infield and made our way past some vintage Indy cars, I couldn't believe what I saw since it was so unexpected. A pair of blue 2014 C7 Corvette Stingrays sandwiching a trio of red Camaro's.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I'm sure your wondering why I'm starting with the Vette first, rather than the Viper. Well the last time I saw a gen V was VOI 12, nearly 9 months ago! And I got to drive the car too. I also didn't get the chance to go to the New York International Auto Show to see the C7 myself, however I later found out you couldn't get up close (not like above) to really check out all the details as the cars had been surrounded by glass.

Honestly, when my eyes locked with the car I flipped. This is legitimately the most outrageous, beautiful Corvette design for a new generation. It goes to say across the industry, blue really makes American sports cars stand out. But much like the controversy surrounding the Viper's front fascia and the black crosshairs, the Corvette's 'braces' isn't that bad either and adds a slightly better element to break up the design.

The other controversial bit on the C7 is the rear end. The black rear diffuser and the tail lights really aren't that bad as everyone made it seem when the car hit the internets. The car is pretty angular and doesn't really have any rounded edges, not like the Vipers curves, but I believe that Mark Reuss and his design team looked back on previously generations very closely.

So that's the C7, I think it's great and the Euro brands should be a wee worried cause I believe both Corvette and Viper have REALLY stepped up their game...

What about the Viper?

What else about the Viper that hasn't already been said that I couldn't add to? Remember I haven't seen a gen V since October at VOI. On top of that I've already driven the gen V, I'd like to give a go in a C7 just because.

While the Corvette is a mid-high $50k bargain, and that isn't a bad thing at all, The Viper is for sure America's supercar. From the race tracks in the interior, to the paint quality, and the stock but gnarly sounding exhaust. The gen V has the curve and appeal of being exactly what it's been since 1992. A raw, brutal V10 powered back-to-basics machine and although the times have changed, the car has added a few features no other Viper has had before.

I'm sure some of you right now reading this thread, looking back and fourth between the two cars are mentioning something about 'wheel gap' and maybe a few choice swear words. But look at it this way. There wouldn't be a reason as to why the Viper isn't closer to the ground than it should be, rather than how it currently sits leaving the factory. In NASCAR (and probably the reason why Eric got it to 206 at Nardo) especially at the super speedway's the cars almost never leave the garages without a huge wheel gap. When they hit the track and the cars apply some speed, downforce comes into play.

Anyway, I thought I would throw my two cents into the ring. I love the fact that when the SRT hood is opened it looks as if two long devil horns are coming out of it just to cover that V10. I couldn't believe that I saw and photographed both cars in just under 24 hours. On top of that they were both blue! Unreal and it's really cool to see what the future holds for both brands, now the next thing I have to do is drive both! Talk about an absolute great job on both fronts and a great time to be a car guy.

--RS

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the blacked out rear on the vette, as most guys custom paint their vettes C5 and C6 to be blacked out there. I'm not a Vette guy but I think it should have kept the round tail lights, no need for the angular ones, and if you are going to make those angular why the hell would you leave the exhaust tips round? Why couldn't they be custom angled like everything else? The tail light eye-liner is ugly, looks like it has been crying and it is running down its butt face. LED strips, for both ****! It isn't cool, it looks stupid and it doesn't help you win races.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simply nothing out there that can remotely match the vette in it's looks or performance at that price point.
Not to mention it's much improved interior as well.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both cars have changed and the comparison is still basically the same. All the same reasons to buy or not buy either car over the other are basically still the same. The vette will cost as much or more than the Viper when it gets 600+ hp and a wide body with some meat in the wheel wells. Both nice cars.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the C7 up close 3 times now. I think it is a dramatic improvement over the C6. Reading the C7 forums it is funny to see people dismissing the interior improvements, it is like reading this forum a year ago.

I have two criticisms of the C7: One, The interior is still using the junk greyish plastic as always. Two, the exterior looks like it was designed by four separate teams and put together at the end. Personally, it just looks like it was designed by committee. I think the Gen V wins in the looks department mainly because there was one guiding voice, Ralph. It just looks cohesive, where the C7 looks a bit jumbled.

The non-round tail lights don't bother me in the bit. The rear end just looks too busy and doesn't jive with the rest of the car.

As others have said, it is a bargin for the price. It is great the American sports cars are figuring out the interior game. If I didn't get my Gen V, I would have probably picked up a Z06 when it hits the production lines.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There may actually be an even cheaper version of the vette with a 6 cyl before there is hipo version so an even better bargain if that's what floats your boat. I was excited about the vette when it came out but I agree with ViperSmith it's more of a patchwork car than a classic work of art like the Viper. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We're talking Michelangelo vs Picaso imo...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still like Corvettes. I'll probably buy one of these C7's, too. My last two C6's were great cars, perfect for daily drivers.

Tony

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a few corvettes 63 split window,64 coupe, 66 vert, 67 vert, 68 vert, 71 coupe, 74, 85, 95, 08 ZO6, 09 GT1, 09 ZR1, 13 427 vert and I just ordered a14 blue Z51 but my favorite toy is my old 94 RT 10

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pics and comments.

I have great respect for the vette & its performance. But I've never found it emotional for me to experience & so as much as I've considered it, I've never "wanted" one to buy. The C7, which I've only seen on the internet so far, looks great to me. I don't get the nit-picking happening in the vette community, but then they're passionate about the old design and so ... When they do a C7Z07 / high perf model, with perhaps flared fenders and some aggessive tweaks to the body for aero, I think it'll be a stunner and a bang for the buck milestone, like it has been historically. IMO the vette finally has the looks to go with the perf, but that's just me, I know there are lots of folks who aren't happy with the design. Would I consider one in the future? I'd say yes, I would, which is a huge change for me. Kudos to GM, IMHO.

And as you say, what else can we say about the gen5 .. sex on wheels with as much brutality as beauty, yummy.

Dave.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tail lights of the C7 don't bother me, I'm not a purist who needed to see round tail lights so I think the departure there is ok. What I cannot handle though is the giant black diffuser. It takes up 50% of the rear, way too much. My opinion isn't just from pictures, I looked at it for a long time at the Chicago auto show and found it to be worse in person. I also agree that the exterior was designed by committee, from the side I see a GTR and from the front a too angular Gen 5 Viper. You can't argue the performance for the dollar point, it beats everything else out there. So if a person is ok with pulling up to a stoplight and seeing 3 other cars that look exactly like yours then this is the car for you.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't all new car designs basically derivations of existing designs anyway?
The Gen 5 didn't exactly break new ground in the design area, GM took a much bolder path.
Love it or hate it, there is no mistaking it for an earlier series.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't all new car designs basically derivations of existing designs anyway?
The Gen 5 didn't exactly break new ground in the design area, GM took a much bolder path.
Love it or hate it, there is no mistaking it for an earlier series.

While I love the look of the Gen V, I agree the C7 pushed the bounds of what had already been done. I do find the G5 to be an updated G2, but I find it cohesive.

The C7 just comes off as a hodgepodge of ideas. But, bravo to Chevy for pushing forward and being willing to upset purists over the tail lights. Though, I think the rear end is way too busy and just doesn't flow, IMHO.

But, a great bargin.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the best thing about vettes is the removable roof panel coupe design. I don't really care for verts (just me) but I have had several T-top cars over the years that I really enjoyed and that's as close as you can get these days.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought A Lemans Blue 3lt C6 Vert off the showroom floor back in 2007 for low 60's. While it is true that its big bang for the buck, it lost 50% value in less than 2 years time. Great daily driver though and almost 30mpg is impressive. Mass produced brand dilution though. What makes matters worse is the ZR1 that is a true performance machine on a different level, looks very similar to the dimea dozen base model.

Heads up display was cool; wonder if the C7 has it? liked run flats; decent cockpit but nothing compared to the gen V interior. The new Viper is in a totally different class/category price-wise, performance-wise and quality-wise. Just because they are both made in the U.S. doesnt mean that they should be constantly compared to eachother. They are apples and oranges imo.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high performance C7 will certainly put the future ACR through its paces though. I wonder if SRT is waiting for Chevy to show its hand before debuting the ACR. Rumors are the hipo C7 debut is right around the corner.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^ Yup.
I very much doubt GM is going to sit back and let SRT take the fastest production car in the world title again without a fight.
They will bring out their C7 Z06/ZR1 ready to rumble with whatever SRT brings and they have the money and tech to do it.
Should get very interesting.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plus the front bites off the snake in styling dept a bit, the side is a GT-R rip off and everyone knows about the camaro rear. 200hp less too. The Z06/ZR1 is going to be a different level for sure but the TA & ACR to come should match.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some seem to have lost sight of the fact its a 60K car. At twice the price one would hope it has better performance.
Styling is subjective, but many who aren't brand junkies or 85 year old C3 owners like the new aggressive look.
And if the ACR manages to only "match" the vette high perf model, it's a failure.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So by that standard there are many Lambos and Ferraris that are failures on and even greater scale.

Some seem to have lost sight of the fact its a 60K car. At twice the price one would hope it has better performance.
Styling is subjective, but many who aren't brand junkies or 85 year old C3 owners like the new aggressive look.
And if the ACR manages to only "match" the vette high perf model, it's a failure.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So by that standard there are many Lambos and Ferraris that are failures on and even greater scale.

Thats silly and you know it.
The ACR is and has always been a purpose built race car and lap times are what it is designed for. Period.
If it falls short on the track aganst a new C7 it would be a huge failure. Nobody is buying an ACR for it's refined character and amenities.
The fact that it can be drive on the street is secondary.

Most exotics are not purpose built race cars.
Complete apple and oranges comparison.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're saying Ferraris and Lambos are just poser cars so not a valid comparison ? So if you go down that road your BW GTS had 4 times the swagger per dollar factor than your current car:rolleyes: You'll be back... You'll be back... You'll be back GallardoJon:D

Thats silly and you know it.
The ACR is and has always been a purpose built race car and lap times are what it is designed for. Period.
If it falls short on the track aganst a new C7 it would be a huge failure. Nobody is buying an ACR for it's refined character and amenities.
The fact that it can be drive on the street is secondary.

Most exotics are not purpose built race cars.
Complete apple and oranges comparison.

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When they burst into flames, yeah they become failures. LOL

But as Jon said, Ferrari's and Lambos are on a different level. Just look at the current battle that was put out between the Viper and the SLS black. The philosophy for ones brand is built on the purpose the car was designed for.

--RS

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta give respect where respects due. The C7 has an all aluminum frame and goes 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and it starts under 60K?! Just think that's the base model, makes you wonder what the Z06/ZR1 will do.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta give respect where respects due. The C7 has an all aluminum frame and goes 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and it starts under 60K?! Just think that's the base model, makes you wonder what the Z06/ZR1 will do.

Aluminum frames sounds cool but the car is heavier than the C6 and the Viper but yes a good value anyway and I would add 29mpg hwy for those who care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper