SRT10 Tools & Service Parts

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to be my own mechanic when my car gets here (2005 SRT10). I don't really have a choice because I don't trust any mechanics out here, besides, I kind of like it. At first I will be performing all the service related maintenance, and then I plan on swapping out the exhaust & headers. One day I will go supercharged..

So far, I have:

- 2005 Service Manual, Body Diagnostics, Powertrain Diagnostics, Chassis Diagnostics manuals
- A 3 Ton lift / Transmission Jack / Floor Jack / Jack stands
- Metric Wrenches, Ratchets, Sockets, Screwdrivers
- Air compressor and basic air tools
- Varying experience working on my cars

• Does anyone have a recommended list of tools I should have? Any kits I can get?
  • I have heard of SPX Miller Special Tools and they sent me a list of special tools for the 05, but I have no idea what I will realistically need from that list.
  • Can anyone please confirm that the Viper uses Metric tools?
  • What are commonly serviced parts (apart from Oil filters and fluids), my car has 6500miles on the clock. I want to stock everything I need. As I live quite far from the US, I don't want to have to wait a few weeks for parts to arrive each time I need them!

Last edited:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at some point you will need a T40 torx socket(belly pan) and a 10mm allen socket( brake calipers).

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't this car need SAE sized sockets, not metric? I only have metric sockets from all the european cars that I own/previously owned, so I figured I'd have to get some new sockets...

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guy- I'm not 100% on the Viper cars, but the trucks are a good mix of Metric and Inch (mostly Metric).
I can do almost all the maintenance with an 8mm, a 10mm and a 12mm socket and (racheting) combo wrenches, and a Phillips screwdriver. :)
You'll probably want an Inch set of sockets and wrenches, but they won't be used very often (lower drawer in the tool chest....heh heh).

Other suggestions:
- 12mm Allen socket (for the brake pad replacement). Just get a nice set that goes from 6mm to 18mm
- Full set of Torx bits. Get a good quality set here.
- Torque wrenches: get GOOD ones. Craftsman at the minimum. On the trucks, I believe the biggest 'torque' is for the front brake caliper mount bolts (245 ft.lbs.). Might be a little lower for the cars.
- I have a 19.2V rechargeable drill that I used for removing/installing lug nuts. It's strong enough to get my 22" wheels firmly into place, but doesn't have enough power to over torque or do any damage. I save that for the real torque wrenches. I also like the drill because it's not attached to an air hose. :)

Because your car barely clears speed bumps, you may want to invest in a nice set of low profile ramps. The ones with the removable 'ramp' section are slick.

I'm not sure about the cars, but on the trucks, the best way to get at the exhaust manifolds/headers is through the wheel wells. :)

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guy- I'm not 100% on the Viper cars, but the trucks are a good mix of Metric and Inch (mostly Metric).
I can do almost all the maintenance with an 8mm, a 10mm and a 12mm socket and (racheting) combo wrenches, and a Phillips screwdriver. :)
You'll probably want an Inch set of sockets and wrenches, but they won't be used very often (lower drawer in the tool chest....heh heh).

Other suggestions:
- 12mm Allen socket (for the brake pad replacement). Just get a nice set that goes from 6mm to 18mm
- Full set of Torx bits. Get a good quality set here.
- Torque wrenches: get GOOD ones. Craftsman at the minimum. On the trucks, I believe the biggest 'torque' is for the front brake caliper mount bolts (245 ft.lbs.). Might be a little lower for the cars.
- I have a 19.2V rechargeable drill that I used for removing/installing lug nuts. It's strong enough to get my 22" wheels firmly into place, but doesn't have enough power to over torque or do any damage. I save that for the real torque wrenches. I also like the drill because it's not attached to an air hose. :)

Because your car barely clears speed bumps, you may want to invest in a nice set of low profile ramps. The ones with the removable 'ramp' section are slick.

I'm not sure about the cars, but on the trucks, the best way to get at the exhaust manifolds/headers is through the wheel wells. :)

Great post for a guy with a truck....not so great for a guy with an actual viper. If you end up doing brake work you'll have to put the 12mm allen socket away (since it didn't fit in the caliper bolt) and take out your 10 mm allen socket to get the calipers off...when you go to put them back on, don't crank them to 245 ftlbs ( if you even get that far with out snapping or stripping the bolts) 85 ft lbs is the proper torque spec on a gen III viper.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to be my own mechanic when my car gets here (2005 SRT10). I don't really have a choice because I don't trust any mechanics out here, besides, I kind of like it. At first I will be performing all the service related maintenance, and then I plan on swapping out the exhaust & headers. One day I will go supercharged..

So far, I have:

- 2005 Service Manual, Body Diagnostics, Powertrain Diagnostics, Chassis Diagnostics manuals
- A 3 Ton lift / Transmission Jack / Floor Jack / Jack stands
- Metric Wrenches, Ratchets, Sockets, Screwdrivers
- Air compressor and basic air tools
- Varying experience working on my cars

• Does anyone have a recommended list of tools I should have? Any kits I can get?
  • I have heard of SPX Miller Special Tools and they sent me a list of special tools for the 05, but I have no idea what I will realistically need from that list.
  • Can anyone please confirm that the Viper uses Metric tools?
  • What are commonly serviced parts (apart from Oil filters and fluids), my car has 6500miles on the clock. I want to stock everything I need. As I live quite far from the US, I don't want to have to wait a few weeks for parts to arrive each time I need them!

If you go supercharged you will need a good but compact right angle drill to drill and pin the Dampener. If you remove and upgrade the Dampener to say ATI you will need a torque wrench that will go to 250 foot pounds. If you don't have a good soldering iron or an OBD2 scanner you should pick those up someday as well.