Starter switch on clutch pedal

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it can be totally removed, so the car starts without having to press the clutch in

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you want to remove that switch? Is it that much trouble to push in the clutch to start the car. It won't seem like that much trouble when your car is in the living room because you forgot to take it out of gear before starting.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's no adjustment on the switch itself but you may have a worn bushing in the input shaft which will increase the amount of play. Wiggle the clutch pedal. If it seems as if there is an excessive amount of play in the pedal and shaft, replace the plastic bushing with a new one (bushing looks like a skinny plastic thimble). I'll try to find the P/N but I think I may have an extra one. Send me a PM if you need it.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why would you want to remove that switch? Is it that much trouble to push in the clutch to start the car.

I've always been worried by the thought of starting a cold motor with the clutch depressed because the clutch loads the back side of the crankshaft thrust bearing which only has residual lube on its surface.

I'm too lazy to disconnect the switch but wouldn't lament it's passing.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a safety feature just as automatic transmissions require you to depress the brake pedal. Why would you want to disable that feature?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where is the starter switch on the clutch pedal and is it adjustable? I have to push the clutch to the floor to start the car. does this seem normal? I have a Gen I.
It may also depend on the thickness of your floor mats. When I had some thicker floor mats in my '95, I had the unintentional theft-deterrent that, when the mats got accidently shoved further forward than they should be, you could not press the clutch far enough in to disengage the starter safety cutout. I even got a call from a dealer after I dropped it off for service asking if I had some sort of aftermarket anti-theft system in it, as they couldn't get it started. I had to drive back to the dealership, try to start it, and instantly realize what the problem was and move the mat, and, voila', it starts. The guy who was tasked with moving my car into the service bay was a bit embarrased by it. :cool:

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thick floor mats... what do you think how many (mostly female) customers complain about poor performance when theyr floor mats sliped under the pedal....?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thick floor mats... what do you think how many (mostly female) customers complain about poor performance when theyr floor mats sliped under the pedal....?
Perhaps not as many as some might think - even missing the last 1/4"-1/2" of throttle travel, the car still has more acceleration than most. :cool:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not the mat under the pedal that's the problem, but rather the pedal stuck under the mat.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
youll never find such a widget on any euro spec manual car, I know one of our guys removed that feature from his GTS as soon as he got the car.

I suppose the euros in general are more used to driving manual cars, unlike the US majority. I personally grown up on manuals, only just had my first automatic about 5 months ago, I bet the US is the other way around

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
youll never find such a widget on any euro spec manual car, I know one of our guys removed that feature from his GTS as soon as he got the car.

I suppose the euros in general are more used to driving manual cars, unlike the US majority. I personally grown up on manuals, only just had my first automatic about 5 months ago, I bet the US is the other way around

here in america, it's called "the stupid protecting the stupid". natural selection has been overruled in this country. We have no way to **** out the bad gene pool any more. :crazy:

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You don't have as many attorneys as we do. :confused:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No.
:)
BTW, pressing the clutch before starting a car is always a good idea. My 2 cents.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The switch is located at the end of the rod that extends from the clutch pedal to the clutch hydraulic cylinder, the two wires will be red and yellow/red.

Follow the rod from where it attaches to the clutch pedal forward to the cylinder.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil , I had mine go out on my 95 while I was in a parking lot. You need to cram your body in the footwell with a light and look up at it. Then it all makes sense. I disconnected mine and ordered a new one. They are easy to replace once you can see them. You are a big guy , so you might have trouble getting into the footwell.

Mike

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil , I had mine go out on my 95 while I was in a parking lot. You need to cram your body in the footwell with a light and look up at it. Then it all makes sense. I disconnected mine and ordered a new one. They are easy to replace once you can see them. You are a big guy , so you might have trouble getting into the footwell.

Mike

Definately remove the driver's seat first. It is very easy to remove and it will give you quite a bit more room.

Mark

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang