steering gear crossmember recall necessary ?

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just brought my 2000 RT-10 in for it's first service since I've owned it. It has 3700 miles on it.
The Dodge dealer said there is a recall on it, safety recall 999 crossmember reinforcement.
My question to you guys is , should I get this done. The dealers inspection revealed no problems, but they seemed to think I should get it done.
The car is never driven hard.
Thanks, Mike.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well...I would get it done...BUT, not until I was sure that the dealership has the proper welding setup, has a Viper Tech, and said Tech has done 50-100 without problems. There have been many problems with this repair!!! (I have seen frames nearly burned thru, brake lines fried, brackets installed with improper ortentation which prevents future changing of oil filter!!!).
In MY opinion, this needs to be done at a "Viper Center of Excellence"...PERIOD. This elininates most dealers...especially since few committed to purchasing the welding equipment REQUIRED by Chrysler.
Check with your local VCA officers...or, state location for help here from folks in the know!
I will add that two of our Vipers got the 998 recall and one got the 999 recall...done perfectly. many others were not as fortunate!!!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't track your car or run race/slick tires on it, you don't need too.
On mine, I decided not to do it but, I got all the parts ( for free) for the next owner ( after I'm gone) to do it if he want too.
Being a recall Dodge has to do it for free with no time limitation ( could be 50 years down the road, if, and that is a big if, they are still in business) but they are under no legal obligation to stock/manufacture the parts needed for the recall forever.
Luc 00GTS

GreyKnight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently got this recall done on my 00' GTS. I took it to a reputable dealer in CA that had done this before, and has around 5 viper technicians. After getting some feedback about the screw ups I called my service advisor and talked to him about changing the oil after he was done. This was really to make sure that the technician didn't incorrectly install it. He basically read my mind and stated I don't have to worry about them installing it incorrectly in which the filter won't come off. That brought some more reassurance. I haven't been able to check underneath the car to inspect the work, but so far 80 miles since recall I have had no problems. If I find anything once I do check, 3 weeks from now, you will all be the first to know.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
be careful on this...there are more than one way to screw it up i think....call that chuck tator guy, he know a little bit about this stuff. he's fixed one or two himself even.... :)

914-763-3136

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't track your car or run race/slick tires on it, you don't need too.

WRONG!! I have now done over 300 of this Recalls and I have seen two that were never on the track or ran slicks that broke from some aggressive street driving! If you think your smarter then the engineers then hey don't do it. :slap:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If those engineers were so smart, may be a recall would not have been necessary:dunno: in the first place?
DC define the problem as resulting from: "agressive driving such as racing"
Notice that Mike said that: " the car is never driven hard"
Therefore my comment that he don't need it.
As for my own car, i don't drive agressively on the street, only on a race track and for that I use a race car ( Roush T/A Mustang).

WRONG!! I have now done over 300 of this Recalls and I have seen two that were never on the track or ran slicks that broke from some aggressive street driving! If you think your smarter then the engineers then hey don't do it. :slap:

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well....Im thinking the previous owner of my car had it done....and incorrectly. I have to jack up the motor to change the filter. :(

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator's did my 96 gts. It looks way better than the factory welds. Super. super job! No bs.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This recal is because of stress cracks that develop over time. Of course it would only take one good bump on a curb to crack, or a couple hundred potholes, maybe?

Listen to Chuck. The Viper is worth more money and can be certified as safe only if the recall is done correctly. Why have your Viper imperfect?

Ted

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If those engineers were so smart, may be a recall would not have been necessary:dunno: in the first place?
DC define the problem as resulting from: "agressive driving such as racing"
Notice that Mike said that: " the car is never driven hard"
Therefore my comment that he don't need it.
As for my own car, i don't drive agressively on the street, only on a race track and for that I use a race car ( Roush T/A Mustang).
Wow...arguing with Chuck, who has worked on thousands of Vipers, and the Viper engineers, who made the car, about what mechanically needs to be done! I don't think that lack of sense can be properly measured with todays technology.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its under warranty right ?
warranty work is free right ?
why the heck wouldn't you do it ?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That recall can't be rocket science. If this guy has limited access to a good Viper tech, but maybe has access to a fabrication shop, why not make the parts yourself and weld them on? Anyone wanna pony up a pic of what this recall is on the car?

OP
OP
M

mxmike27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for all the replies.
My dealer has either not done any of these recalls or has done just a few, as there are just a handful in the area ( I've only seen one). I think he'd really have to talk me into letting them do it. I'm leaning towards trailering it down to Tators. Not sure where in NY he is but it would probably be several hours away.
Mike

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanx for all the replies.
My dealer has either not done any of these recalls or has done just a few, as there are just a handful in the area ( I've only seen one). I think he'd really have to talk me into letting them do it. I'm leaning towards trailering it down to Tators. Not sure where in NY he is but it would probably be several hours away.
Mike

Since you've had it looked at and it's not cracking yet, DRIVE that beauty to Tators!!! Put a few miles on that thing and enjoy it. After Chuck's done his magic, drive it home. Eat at a couple good establishments and call it a holiday!

You'll enjoy chuck's company (I met him at V0I X). Being a Historic figure you should buy the man dinner. Feed him a few drinks and get him to tell some stories!!! :) :)

Ted

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked under my car and saw that my car has the new triangular gussets riveted to the frame. Does that mean that my car has already had to recall complied with?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted, thats a brilliant idea! Mike

Thanks! There's more. Go to a track and take HP Driving courses. You could order some PS2 tires in a different state and go there for the tires, take the HPD the next day. Another fantastic holiday and it'll save you State taxes on your tires :). Figure my HPDE and hotel room was paid for with Tax money savings. I support the economy.

I was lucky enough that when I did the HPDE I lucked out and got JonB (PartsRack.com - Home) as my instructor! Contrary to what may be said, it takes a guy with a lot of balls to get into a big power car like mine and not be able to do the driving. JonB's another historic Viper guy.

Guys like JonB, Chuck, Dan Cragin, etc. all need to be 'coddled' because 1 day you'll probably need their help and they're much friendlier after you bought them dinner, LOL.

Ted

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just get it done. Regardless of the way you drive your car, just get it taken care of. Do it now, while people are still around that know how to fix it properly, and it could save you some issues in the future when you want to sell your car. Prospective owners may either avoid your car, or haggle with you if you haven't had it fixed. Just make sure you get it done by someone that knows what they are doing.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it to Tators and get it done. The fact that it happens on tracked and aggressively driven cars is an indicator that it will happen on a street driven car eventually over time and miles.

Tracked cars represent a street car's condition after 100,000 miles.

Take it to Tator. He will do you right and probably point out a few other things for you to consider.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4