Stereo swap out?

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the 02 RT-10, can the head unit itself be swapped out without changing stock amps as well? or dropping down RCA's to line level?
Anyone running DVD with Navigation that can answer a few quick questions?
Thanks

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wayne - my Viper has a few stereo mods done. I did not do the work myself, but if you send me the questions, I can get my stereo dude to help out.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much tells you a lot about the Viper. That is, not much interest in the stereo.

I don't even think much about the stereo since I'm so into the performance of the car.

I would also like to know the answer to this. I have an Ipod and used a FM modulator (a little Belkin portable) and it doesn't work very good. Probably due to the interference in this area. I'd like to put a stereo in with an auxillary input but I'm not sure exactly what is needed. I had a job doing stereo installations, but that was way back in 1975.

I know the Crutchfield site has a lot of information for people wanting to do it themselves.

If you're anything like me, you have a specific thing you want. You go into a custom installation place and you end of up with a great system, but not exactly what you wanted. I'm easily talked into things.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the 02 RT10 headunit cannot be replaced with a regular aftermarket headunit. You have two choices:

1) Keep the stock amp, and splice the aftermarket unit wires to it.

2) Ditch the stock amp, and use a separate amp. On my setup, I took out the stock amp. My aftermarket headunit had a built-in amp. I then spliced the wires to the existing front speakers. For added bass, I installed an Infinity Basslink (similar to a Bazooka tube in that it has both the amp and sub built together). Sounds GREAT! ChrisGTS also installed the same Basslink in his O2 GTS. He kept the factory amp and headunit, though. His Basslink just pulls a signal from the factory setup (whereas mine pulls the signal from RCA cables attached to my aftermarket headunit).

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JW is right. It is the Madonna video. I'm just glad I did not have Moulin Rouge in. (kidding)

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
JW is right. It is the Madonna video. I'm just glad I did not have Moulin Rouge in. (kidding)

thought so, if you are playing that stuff you must have solved the bass problem, what did you do convert one of the two rears to sub ?

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the job was pretty radical what I had done, but I added 2 10inch Xtants and had it "piped" to the center space where the useless sub was at. If I had it to do again, I would have probably just had the center space refabricated to hold a couple of 8 inch subs. Would have been cheaper and would have probably gotten some better sound.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
That is what my local High end audio shop suggests for my next move along with upgrading the amps. I changed the head unkit the door speakers and tweeters and the stero is 100x better needs a lot more bass and more power yet.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swaped out my stereo for a Pioneer flip screen and had extra RCA jacks run behind the seat so I can hook up my I-POD. Works great. I then replaced all the speakers with JBL's and put in a bigger amp.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I swaped out my stereo for a Pioneer flip screen and had extra RCA jacks run behind the seat so I can hook up my I-POD. Works great. I then replaced all the speakers with JBL's and put in a bigger amp.

How did they run the wires for the amp ? My guy says he needs to run all new wires to replace the amp the originals wont do.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It came with a amp wire kit, you cant see any of them at all. The only thing you can see down the side by the seats are my rca jacks. It looks good and only took about 3 hours for them to install and that doing an alarm as well.

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It came with a amp wire kit, you cant see any of them at all. The only thing you can see down the side by the seats are my rca jacks. It looks good and only took about 3 hours for them to install and that doing an alarm as well.

What kind of alarm system did you get? I live in New Orleans...and if I get an RT/10...well, I'll definitely need a good alarm. Also was thinking of getting a hidden 'kill' switch installed.

Has anyone here gotten a kill switch installed? Also, what kind of alarms do ya'll get? Any with motion detectors for when you park somewhere without a top on?

C

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you live in New Orleans and plan on getting a Viper, you'll need an extra 4 inches of ground clearance for the potholes. I'm originally from the Uptown (Carrollton area) so I know.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the CompuStar alarm because it has a little screen on the remote to let you know if someone is touching your car. And it works at a range of about 1.5 miles. Works well and has a knock sensor for someone to page me.

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you live in New Orleans and plan on getting a Viper, you'll need an extra 4 inches of ground clearance for the potholes. I'm originally from the Uptown (Carrollton area) so I know.

Haha...you're right...the city IS one large speed bump...

I've already got my routes down pretty good to avoid most really bad streets...and even driving down the ones I drive on, looks like I'm driving on an obstacle course.....
:)

I've read a thread on there that did mention raising the car a bit, something I might have to do out of necessity....

But, I'm determined to get one!!!

cayenne

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960