stock cats unbolt off or do you have to cut them?

jc411

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock cats unbolt off or do you have to cut them?

on a 99 GTS.

thanks

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your wondering if the Cat itself has flanges, the answer would be no. It is attached to a section of the exhaust which connects at the factory header and terminates at the muffler within the sidesill.

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a seperate flange of some sort between the header and cat? I see the B&B exhaust system can be purchased in two models. One, a catback. The other, a header back. So there must be some way to connect directly to the headers without cutting/welding.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory cat is welded in on both sides (front and back, that is). When we put in my Random Tech cats and Corsa exhaust, we used a sawzall and just cut them and the cat-back off.

You will either have to weld your aftermarket cats on or use clamps.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your project? Replacing cats with hi-flows? Installing a cat-back system, headers or all of the above?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a seperate flange of some sort between the header and cat? I see the B&B exhaust system can be purchased in two models. One, a catback. The other, a header back. So there must be some way to connect directly to the headers without cutting/welding.

Aftermarket headers like the Belangers that I have will be flanged at the turnout using a 3-bolt flange. The factory headers have a slip joint and ring clamp. Not interchangeable there without fabrication, let alone the dimensions and lengths of things aren't the same.

You can see in this pic below that the only thing that will fit the Belanger flange at the turnout is a pipe fabricated to match. Fortunately it was supplied with my headers, and the cats slipped right on to that piece.

You must be registered for see images

Here's how it fit on my side exhaust:

The B&B you speak of may be a ready to go system and that would be sweet if so. Just make sure it mates up to the header correctly. Might assume it mates up to theirs and not others. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi