Stock Exhaust Manifold Question

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting 3" high flow cats/Corsa catback on my '97 GTS, but will be keeping the stock exhaust manifold and 2.5" elbows (for now...Belangers later) and will need to remove the elbows to weld the cats/reducers to them.

Here's the problem....When I got under the car to look at the stock header to elbow connection, I expected to see a V-band connection, which I have been reading from Forum members, is easy to work with and which I thought was on all Gen IIs. What I found was two rusty bolts through a plate holding the elbow on to the header collector with hex nuts and these metal strips under the nuts which look like are there to keep the nut from turning on the back of the manifold. Do I have something different or is this what I should have?

Also, does anyone know if the bolt is threaded into the collector or just the nuts on the back side?

Any advice in getting them off would be appreciated....it's a tight fit under there! Thanks!

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The metal strips and nuts were one piece on my car, and the collector was not threaded. The strips keep the nuts from spinning when tightening or loosening the bolts. Soak in penetrating oil before removing them and you should be fine. I just used a LONG extension on my 3/8 drive and it was pretty simple. The vband may have not yet been used in 97.

martyb

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
V-Band Clamps did not begin til 1998...you have OE 96-97 setup

"The Year Matters"

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The metal strips and nuts were one piece on my car, and the collector was not threaded. The strips keep the nuts from spinning when tightening or loosening the bolts. Soak in penetrating oil before removing them and you should be fine. I just used a LONG extension on my 3/8 drive and it was pretty simple. The vband may have not yet been used in 97.

martyb

Thank you! Did you break the nuts loose on the back side before spinning the bolts out or just go at it from the bolt side from the start?....just curious because the bolts on the side of both collectors closest to the front of the car will be very difficult to get to (without a two foot 3/8" extention :)).

Also, is there a donut or anything in there that's going to need to be replaced once the elbow and header are seperated?

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you! Did you break the nuts loose on the back side before spinning the bolts out or just go at it from the bolt side from the start?....just curious because the bolts on the side of both collectors closest to the front of the car will be very difficult to get to (without a two foot 3/8" extention :)).

Also, is there a donut or anything in there that's going to need to be replaced once the elbow and header are seperated?

I just put together a few extensions to get that 2' distance and went right at the bolts. Be sure to soak them for a while, makes it much easier. I think there is a donut in there, probably not a bad idea to replace them while you are in there.

Good luck!