Stock gears VS. 3.55's

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock gears VS. 3.55\'s

With a 02 GTS with 550rwhp, which gears are better for roll-on's, and which are better in the 1/4 mile? In my old 2000 GTS I had stock gears where now I have 3.55's. It seemed like the stock gears pulled better especially in the top end. Any opinions??

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Stock gears VS. 3.55\'s

With a 02 GTS with 550rwhp, which gears are better for roll-on's, and which are better in the 1/4 mile? In my old 2000 GTS I had stock gears where now I have 3.55's. It seemed like the stock gears pulled better especially in the top end. Any opinions??

Depends on how quickly you can shift. My car is definately faster with the 3.55's. For a roll on it depends on what speed you start at and intend on letting off at. If you coordinate it so you both have the same amount of shifts...3.55 car vs 3.07 a 3.55 is of course going to be faster.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lower gears are ALWAYS better!!! That's why some Chevys ( maybe Fords too) offered super low gears (4:10, 4:30, even 4:88) in the 60's.

If you want to drag race "Lower is Better". Try it you'll like it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lower rear gears are only better when the engine torque multiplication into available thrust is greater than your competitor. Once you are out of first gear, on average, it's not going to matter. So for drag racing (assuming you get traction) it helps, but for road racing probably not.

186thrust2.gif

CuHead

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Can I infer from the above plot that if I put 3.73 gear ratio in my '06 Viper, then 45mph and 68 mph would be my shift points at 5500 RPM (I have an 06 SRT10, not a GTS)?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ignoring what I think is a slight tire diameter difference, the answer is yes.

Whatever the shift MPH is now, multiply be your current rear axle ratio and divide by the one you are considering to get the new shift MPH.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is a different question. Lets say we are driving a 2003 srt-10 or newer viper on the street and our top spped that is allowed is say 70-78 mph before the cops ruin our fun. Here in CT they are really bad and 78 is about the limit before you get yourself a $350.00 speeding ticket and a day off from work to go to court. What gears would be best so that you could run in 6th gear on the highway at say 70 mph at 2000 rpm's. Right now I am turning 2000 rpm's at 70 mph in 5th.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Search and you will find.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

Robbie, you're starting to wonder and wander. 6th is overdrive and so you'd need about a 4.56 rear to run 70 at 2000RPM. Have fun with that!

i know 6th is a overdrive gear and so is 6th. I do not know about the "wander" part, but yes, I am always wondering and thinking up new ideas. It was a hyperthetical question. Hell I wake up at night with new ideas in my head.

Thanks for the cool link!

Robbie :bonker:

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For motors over 550, my preference is stock gears. My car had 3.55s until the bigger motor. With 3.55s, the quarter mile needed 5th gear.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Non-Viper owner here, but I had 4.10s in my 495hp 6-speed TA (and I live in CT and feel your pain).

In my case, I had a built V8 where the cam didn't smooth out until close to 3000rpm and made power to high 6000s. So that car had a greater need for the gears in order to make proper use of the powerband. I don't know the Viper T56 gear ratios off the top of my head, but they must be in a similar ballpark. Note that I was also running 335/17s Michelins and later 315/17 DRs, the 335s at least had the same diameter as the Viper (originally came off of one) though I'm not sure about the 315s.

In any case.... it sounds like you've never driven a car with steep gears. My driving taste ranges from gearhead racer to foliage cruiser and you ought to decide which one you prefer to do in your car before changing ratios. Fun though they may be, I found that while the 4.10s were perfectly streetable (heck, I even pulled about 2k rpm in 6th (ratio = .50)at 60mph) and plenty of fun on a lightning fast revving engine... I started to get annoyed with them before I sold the car because I don't go to the drags anymore and I really never race other people. To be blunt, the car scared most competition off as soon as they heard it. And I think the rpm/volume/deafness factor of the engine was what really put the kabosh on the 4.10s for me.

I've run a C5 with 3.45s, the TA with 4.10s, and a built Camaro with 3.73s..... My all-around favorite? The 3.45s. Granted, the engines all have different powerbands and torque curves, but I found in the few street romps I DID do with the 4.10s that you have to learn PRECISELY the Speed, Gear and RPM you want to be in to make proper use of the gearing before dropping the hammer.
Otherwise, one of several things is going to happen. You will either blip too quickly into redline and have to shift early on while he's still pulling, or you will choose the next higher gear and end up at a less optimal spot on your powerband. In successive testing against a friend with a virtually identical setup as mine, I found I had to really powershift my gear changes in order to not lose some crucial momentum. When he only has to shift once or twice and you have to shift two or three times, it leaves a large window for you to lose ground if you're not slamming it home pretty hard. The only saving factor here would be if you have a significantly better power to weight ratio than your competition. In most cases with your Viper you'll DEFINITELY have that. But take it with a grain of salt.

From a less geeky drag racing point of view, as a personal note I did LOVE the quicker revving when fooling around or when hitting local shows. If you love to hit some roads like Rt 7, Rt 158, Rt 77 or head out by Kent Falls... you will love listening to your engine more with the 4.10s (as long as you are not running a godlike cam through totally open exhaust!). The seat of the pants feel in the lower gears is a blast, too.

3.55s sound like a good ticket for your V10. When you get it done, hold on to your stock gears and keep them lubed and protected in case you decide against the new ones. But know that you probably will NOT be disappointed.

You wouldn't happen to have a friend with another red SRT-10 out by East Hampton, would you? I used to see a pair of them from time to time out that way when I'd go see my ex-gf.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:
"You wouldn't happen to have a friend with another red SRT-10 out by East Hampton, would you? I used to see a pair of them from time to time out that way when I'd go see my ex-gf."
-----------------------------------------------------

Yes I have a friend fron New London with a red SRT-10 and another one forn Btanford with a red RT-10. You are right that CT is painfull.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brother, I'm from Wallingford... where Johnny Law quite literally DOES have his promotions based against his ticket performance. My family is law enforcement, so are a few of my friends, and the town's chief has a rep that is known state-wide. I learned early on, between romping around town or tearing up the Berlin Turnpike in my earlier days, to keep my fun-loving ways to the quiet roads way out where there's only 1 resident Trooper for 30 miles. I've gotten my share of legitimate tickets, which I've paid or gotten nullied. But I've also had my share of harrassment. I must have gotten wise though, because I haven't had any tickets rain on my parade in the past 5 years. And in the past two I've been doing 90 pretty much every day to work and back. But it helps that I got a silver Crown Vic to run into the ground as a commuter. If you keep your hair short and wear a suit and tie, even the cops wave at you. Everyone else just gives you a dirty look...

(bought the car off lease as an easy to maintain ******, but the fringe benefits are better than I ever expected!)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Brother, I'm from Wallingford... where Johnny Law quite literally DOES have his promotions based against his ticket performance. If you keep your hair short and wear a suit and tie, even the cops wave at you. Everyone else just gives you a dirty look...

This is very true though the vette guys look the other way and refuse to wave for some unknown reason.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang