Stock half-shaft - should I worry?

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on several of the discussions on half-shafts, should I worry about a stock half-shaft on a stock 2002 RT/10 (480 HP) if I am performing drag runs on street tires?

I.E. Can I launch consistently with the stock half-shafts with a stock setup without worrying about breaking it?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran stock half shafts for over 100 runs. The first 30 were stock, then with a 150 shot of NO2, then drag radials, then a 300 shot and drag radials. The stock half shafts held up fine. With DOT slicks I upgraded to heavy duty half shafts. Your stock tires are the fuse. They spin before the load is too great.

jason427

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rented the dragstrip yesterday with some friends. I was hesitant to use the new Drag setup from CCW skinnies/ET-Streets without heavy duty shafts. Well, I used them anyway and ran about 15 runs launching from 4000-5000rpm without ANY problems. I will upgrade my half-shafts, but was pleased the stock ones held up so well.

Jason

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your concerned about the axles I would just replace them so you have piece of mind. The cost only hurts once.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have unitrax half shafts and i twisted the f*** out of them with pilots.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't had any problem with the stock shafts yet with pilots. I am waiting for them to snap so I can get some heavy duty shafts afterwards!
:eek:
Actually, I plan on upgrading them this spring and running with some stickier rubber! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have unitrax half shafts and i twisted the f*** out of them with pilots.

Yeah - but with 655 and 905. I was wondering if the Stock 480 hp is enough to twist the stock half shafts on pilots.

Seems I'd need a lot more torque than stock....

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to watch out for wheel hop - I had it bad my only time out - wheel hop can break stock half shafts if severe enough

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke many a u-joint on the stock 1/2 shafts with 465 RWHP and 503 RWTQ on pilots. Once I went to the stronger u-joints, I never had a problem until eventually twisted the center spline and cracked the spline housing.