Stock heat shiels with Belanger headers?

holdontight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering is it necessary to use the heat shiels with the headers? I have a corsa 3" exhaust and high flo cats and my next step is heasers any input will be appreciated.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Belanger headers and exhaust, with hi-flow cats on the street, w/o cats on private roadways. I did not re-install the factory heat shields and I have never had a problem. I removed the spark plug boot factory metal heat shields as well but replaced them with a hi-temp fabric sock supplied by Parts rack.

The headers are visible and look awesome. The factory heat shields are nasty looking.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a counterpoint, I have belanger headers and reinstalled the heat shields. They look, well, like the stock heat shields, but they do keep heat out of the engine compartment. I also installed the "snake socks" for the spark plug boots.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES! INSTALL THE HEAT SHIELDS!! FIRE
eek.gif

I had a customer with a 97 GTS with Headers and no heat shields. He does not have that car anymore! The headers melted the power steering tank! It was a total loss!!

I/we will not install headers without heat shields anymore!!
mad.gif

Be safe, put them on!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben do you have Belangers on the DLM car? Just wondering if they flow enough given the inside restrictor looking things.

S

SUN RA KAT

I have Belanger Headers and the stock heat shields on them. They don't fit as perfect as they do on the stock headers, but I can't see them when the hood is closed and when the hood is opened everyone only looks at the intake manifold.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wizard, I ordered a pair of the header heat blankets from Jegs. They came in today, I have to install them yet. Any concerns with them?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg,
I'm sure the heat blankets will help reduce the heat. There are many plastic parts under your hood.

ViperJim,
According to the Insurance Co./"Accident Recreation Dept." report: Point of origin-fire started in the engine compartment/upper left front corner of motor. P/S Reservoir melted do to modifications on vehicle.

Even if the p/s cap came off, do you think heat shields would have helped?

Why don't we ask jonb?

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the coating on Belanger headers warranteed only if you DON'T reinstall the heat shields? I didn't put mine back on because I know someone posted that warrantee restriction here a while back. Granted, I would rather sacrifice the header coating over lighting up my ps reservoir.....

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgfurr:
Isn't the coating on Belanger headers warranteed only if you DON'T reinstall the heat shields? I didn't put mine back on because I know someone posted that warrantee restriction here a while back. Granted, I would rather sacrifice the header coating over lighting up my ps reservoir.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent question. I am considering Belanger headers for my next Viper and I would really like to show them off by not re-installing the heat shields. It sounds as if the "no heat shield" option is the way to go.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
According to the Insurance Co./"Accident Recreation Dept." report: Point of origin-fire started in the engine compartment/upper left front corner of motor. P/S Reservoir melted do to modifications on vehicle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is precisely what I would say, if I owned an insurance company that was presented with a claim for a burnt viper...There are definitely a few documented problems with the power steering cap coming off and burning UNMODIFIED vipers to the ground...not to mention that many viper owners have had close calls with the power steering cap...

I just got my headers 2000 degree Jet Hot coated, and while I am NOT putting those cheesy stocker heat shields back on, I will consider a MORE EFFECTIVE, BETTER LOOKING, alternative...but only because the Wizard said to!

IMHO, the TIN FOIL that DC opted for is mostly window dressing anyway...

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really liked the look of the Inconel heat shields but the price floored me. I figured I would use the Thermo-Tec blankets if the heat became an issue. They cost $79 for the pair and attach with SS bands. I have driven the car 3 times since installing the Belangers and have noticed no more heat than stock. I have an infrared pyrometer and will post temps of under hood components after my next drive.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TacDoc:
I have an infrared pyrometer and will post temps of under hood components after my next drive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent idea! I have not yet installed the headers I just got Jet Hot coated...one of my many winter projects...

I can do the same with the stocker heat shields installed so we can see which is COOLER!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Bitten:
consider a MORE EFFECTIVE, BETTER LOOKING, alternative...but only because the Wizard said to!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gerald: Thank you, but by no means do I claim to be an expert? Just that a little common sence goes a long ways!
[Got your e-mail, gaskets going out Monday.]

Check your p/s cap!!
eek.gif

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have b&b headers with the heat shields. my throttlr cable went through my fire wall because the rubber boot broke down. went to see my viper tech and he said he has seen this and other plastic parts wear down because of the heat. i ordered the edelbrook heat sheilds, but these things dont kook like they would be better than the stock ones. does not cover the headers as much as stock. he said they work so i guess ill post the effectiveness of the shields after i install them. anyone else using the edelbrock heat shields.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trent:
i ordered the edelbrook heat sheilds, but these things dont kook like they would be better than the stock ones. does not cover the headers as much as stock.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Send them back, save some $$.
You'll have to bend the stock ones up a bit to get them to fit. They will fit! After all you already paid for them.
smile.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; Isn't the coating on Belanger headers warranteed only if you DON'T reinstall the heat shields?

From memory, the Belangers are not supposed to be heat-wrapped; however, there's no restriction on having heat shields in place.