Stock Speaker questions?

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the stock speakers Alpine? If so, what are they comparable to on the current market from Alpine? I want to replace the speakers, but if they are top end speakers ($399 retail at goodguys)(they don't sound like them), then I don't want to replace them with cheaper one's. Anybody know if there is a specific model or series in our car's?

thanks,
Chan
'01 GTS

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think they are alpines. If they are then they are not the same grade you would get at speciality car audio store.

I yanked the whole system. Did alpine amp (fits in factory amp bracket) eclipses in the front (drops in - I tried a few kinds and the eclipses were the only ones out of the 3 that dropped in and used the factory screw holes - the factory grill fit back on as well)

I did bostons in the back.

Upgrade the head unit and amp with something a little more flexable as the factory speakers are not too bad. If you are still unhappy, swap the speakers. The eclipse (coax) were about 100 bucks. The BAs about $150.

Remeber that the viper is a horrible acoustical chamber. Also the front speakers are down by your calves and the rear speakers are behind 15+ gallons of fluid.

Good luck.

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks, i have an alpine head unit, going with Focal's up front with the rear speakers compeletly out and put a sub back there. trying to find a inexpensive sub that will make nice bass.

chan

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had good luck with the middle end cerwin vega as well as the JBLs. They are both loud and rugged but are not considered "fine" speakers. But if you want loud and deep both of those are good choices.

Circuit City usually has a 2 for 1 on the JBLs.

Good luck.

iwantaviperbad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, since my entire system upped and walked away, I've had the luxury (?) of visiting a few car audio shops lately. Don't have a viper, so can't speak for what acoustically sounds good.

I'd definitely say go with Focal components up front. A bit pricey compared to others, but the clarity and sound is crystal. If you have spare leg room, you might consider getting a kick panel installed to angle the speakers upward towards you.

For the sub, check out the JL Audio W6 or W7 series. They've got a pretty big magnet on em, so I dunno if they'll fit or not with what you're wanting. They're going in my crew cab truck behind the rear seats, plenty of room for me. I previously had 3 kicker l7 solobaric 12s, and are replacing with 2 JL W6s.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trying to find a inexpensive sub that will make nice bass

Dont waste your money on focals or kickers or JLs. Not in a Viper. If you were doing an all out balls to the wall system in an SUV or a big car, then yes, you dont get much better then a 3 W6s 2ohm setup in a nice box with lots of power and some Focal components.

Id spend your money on something cooler like engine upgrades and go cheaper (but still good) on the audio. Its really hard to utilize top end audio components in a viper. My biggest hurdle when doing a system in my viper was just getting it LOUD enough.

- Keith

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few shops arounds me told me that subs are pointless in Vipers. They all said the same thing: you'll get crappy bass b/c its gotta pass thru the gas tank.

anyone else had this told to them??????

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bass is omnidirectional and all it does is move air - ALOT more air than higher frequecies which are more unidirectionial. All there needs to be is enough air between the cabin and the trunk where the sub is and it will suffice. What the guy told you is a little bit short sighted.

If you put a good sub in the trunk of a GTS then it will be fine. Now sticking it in the trunk of an R/T will limit your bass exposure because there is little air passing from the trunk to the cabin. I had that problem in my NSX. I had an 8 inch JL sub in a bandpass box in my GTS trunk and it is quite nice.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer your original question. Yes, the whole system is Alpin. Head unit, amp and speakers are all Alpine. They won the Viper business and have supplied the sound system since the inception. The reason why they don't sound as good as the aftermakret system is because the speakers are not the same as aftermarket. They are OEM grade which means A LOT less expensive with cheaper materials but tested to pass OEM specs. The priority of these speaker designs is not sound quality but to pass durability and automotive specifications. Although Alpine is considered a high end aftermarket company they are just another supplier in the automotive world. They build whatever the OEM specifies at a competitive price. The Viper program is the least profitable for any supplier because the volume is so low and it's very difficult to make back your initial engineering development costs. Therefore you will most likely get the least quality component at the low prices. However with key components in the Viper such as engine, suspension, they have to spend more because it is integral to the Viper concept. Outside of that the components are purchased as cheaply as possible.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a LOT of sound comparison. Chan has a GTS. Yes a sub makes a difference in a GTS. In an RT it just adds "mud". I use a 10" JL W3. JL actually makes a single sub box that fits like it was made for your GTS. You won't have to change anything. You can remove it if you sell your car.

The factory speakers are on the very low end. On a scale of 1 to 10...they are a 1. They are of a paper design. You can buy this type of speaker new for about $3 in bulk.

I use MB Quarts. They use a oversize trim ring so only a 5.25" fits up front and 6.5 in the back.

The factory amp is not real good. You will want to remove it if you want great sound.

Jerry

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had MB Quarts in my bronco. Honestly they will be the last speakers you buy. I had a Kicker SS driving them. MB Quarts take the cake

Jerry - JL makes a stealth box FOR the viper?
I cont find it on their their web page.

You have a link to the enclosure you are talking about? :headbang:

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, great info. k, few questions to ur responses. so i can NOT fit a 6.5" up front? and only a 5.25"? this is what a buddy of mine is willing to do for me. tell me if this is a good deal. it will be around $300-325. what he's gonna do is do a Focal set up front, says retails for like $400 and he can get it for me at dealer cost for about $175. then he wants to do a Ample subwoofer, (never heard of the company) for $79. I have a Alpine unit that a dvd and navigation already and a Nakamichi amp. Im leaving the head unit and replacing the amp with a Zapco Z400. He's gonna enclose the box in fiberglass and make it fit (he said very nicely) in the pass. rear of the car. He said he won't be making any money off this set up and that it will sound pretty nice. I think for the money, that's not bad, only concern is the Ample sub and going with the step down Focal's (160 V2's). What do u all think?

thanks,
chan

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK so who has a system they can honestly say sounds good? Then tell me the components and i will duplicate it in my Viper. Thanks

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put MB Quart 6.25 up front with minor modification. Just had to use a saber saw to cut a small ring from the housing (where you can't see it) and the speakers fit great. Went oversize on the tweets as well, and they look factory. Used subs in the rear. Also, on the alpine amp there is a switch that changes the range of the signal to the rear.

It really does sound "good", the nature of the car and speaker locations limit it for sure. I can tell you it blows away the stock system, big time. I could max out the stock head unit before, now it doesn't even need to be maxed and it overcomes the TNT and belanger system with very nice sound.

Nice upgrade. very aggressive prices online if you shop around. MB Quart, I went one step down from the top. Almost a shame to hide the beautiful crossover they build.

I also put dynamat sound damping material in the doors and in the rear sub enclosures. The rear enclosures have big big "holes" that leak so I silicone caulked them closed, then dynamat, then used some poly fill to change the acoustical depth of the enclosure.

Overall, very happy with the results with no change to the wiring or amp or head unit. Night and day.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the whole car with Infinitys, they sound 100% better. I have the 652i's in the door with a 6000 series speaker (kinda looks like a sub) in the rear. Awesome sound, can even hear it at 80MPH with the top off :2tu: :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave