Strange engine dis-coloration on pre-purchase inspection

shakaspirit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at a 2004 viper at a dealership and there's some weird discoloration that nobody at the dealership can explain, nor do they have the maintenance records available. Does anyone here know why the intake manifold is very different than the rest in the photo? I'm guessing it's been replaced and it's a sign that I should stay away from this car but would like your opinion.

You must be registered for see images attach

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The intake is a slightly different finish to the throttle body from the factory, so that could explain a little of the difference. Though it does look like there are still some speckled on the first set of runners. Is this a coastal car or something? Looks kind of like salt deposits or corrosion on a lot of the aluminum parts, that or just a very poor wash job that didn't rinse all the soap off or something.

OP
OP
S

shakaspirit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The intake is a slightly different finish to the throttle body from the factory, so that could explain a little of the difference. Though it does look like there are still some speckled on the first set of runners. Is this a coastal car or something? Looks kind of like salt deposits or corrosion on a lot of the aluminum parts, that or just a very poor wash job that didn't rinse all the soap off or something.
The car is in Atlanta, GA. Dealership sales guy doesn't know much about the car and just shrugs when I ask complex questions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth