strange stereo problem... help!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m having a really strange problem with the stereo (stock unit) in my RT/10. It just started happening about a month ago.

When I’m about halfway through a song, the track will sometimes just start rewinding by itself. Sometimes now when I push the volume buttons it doesn’t respond, and other times the volume will just start going up and , tracks will start skipping, when I’m not pressing anything. This is seems to happen especially in the first twenty minutes after I start the car. Sometimes the stereo is perfectly fine, and other times it just goes wacky. I’m guess there’s something wrong with the computer in my stereo.

Needless to say, this is getting more and more annoying. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? How expensive it would be to fix??

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont know of the problem, but no doubt cheaper and easier just to put a new one in, bet there's plenty of stock stereo's at the usual viper breakers, if you wanted to keep it stock.

Stereo technology has moved on quite a bit since 98, and the stock Alpine unit wasnt that brilliant to start with...