Street Racing Poll

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's everyone's take on street racing? My opinion is leave racing to a real closed track or the drag strip. It's not worth endangering the public not to mention the increasing severity of penalties to participants. Thumbs down from me.

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i feel if the road in front is clear, a quick jog up to 130 would be fine, but in traffic, no.

if you are trying to prove your car is faster, take it to the track.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
danny says it pretty good and a little show and go is never wrong but bottom line is it belongs on the track. those who biitch and whine about having their asses handed to them by the law; youre a dumbshiit and deserve it.

moderation and common sense are the key and unfortunately most lack both

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street racing is OK as long as I'm the one involved. But, most street racers today seem to be ricers whose car was never meant to go as fast as it does and was not meant to corner at high speeds. Mostly it seems to be young people with 15 to 17 second 1/4 mile cars out there street racing. It's the other idiots out there I'm worried about, not myself. As long as you aren't an idiot and do it in heavy traffic or something it should be OK. A quick jaunt up to 175 is OK in my opinion. I don't advocate speeding like this, because the average driver out there is an idiot however and therefore most people should take it to the track, with the exception of me however. :D Laws and rules do not apply to me. I even ran with scissors when I was a kid.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem with the drag strip is that when you go fast - you have to totally cut up your car.

I wish you could just sign a waiver. I have a roll bar, 5-point belts, fire extinguisher, etc. But when you go fast (and that's the point at the drag strip) your car becomes useless on the street. :(

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for anything everytime I hit the street, but in the last 2 years I can count on 1 hand how many races I have had. I am a victim of my location.

Furthermore, I do know the penalties and am willing to accept them if they occur. As long as common sense is used, I don't feel the street is too terribly more dangerous than a strip.

Anything can happen at any time. :usa:

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im trying to teach my son not to do it. i cant see being charged with somebody elses ******. Short sprints are ok.

Max

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest problem I see is defining what the race is.

If you're lined up, the road is clear, there is limited access to the road, and there's a good indication of which car is pulling away, I see no problems.

My problem is that I seem to run into these young kids that want to race no matter where you are. If they can't beat you outright (which is like never if you're in a Viper) then they'll pull some really stupid stunts like cutting through traffic and taking terrible chances.

If you involve innocent bystanders in your race in a smaller community you are apt create intense hostilities from friends and neighbors. Like no one is going to notice a Viper racing.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the Viper's power, simple acceleration could be seen as street racing. A nice run through the gears getting onto the freeway can hit 90MPH without too much effort.

Most of the time, street racing is simply not worth my time, or the risk of getting caught or in and accident.
Honda Civics and SUVs fill the roads. And while some may be interested in a race, they usually just want to see how quickly you can run away from them at speed.

Motorcycles are the only vehicles that I've come up against on the road that offer any real competition. And I usually just wave them by because many young bikers are too zealous to prove themselves, and I don't want the responsability of having them try some stupid move weaving through traffic or taking risks that would put them in a body bag.

Most of the time, the traffic is simply too dense to safely challenge someone on the street, and the big point is that I'm not going out daily to look for races, so it doesn't really come up that often.

The real downside here is that the local dragstrips (where you can find real competition) are literally hours and hours away, so drag racing is not something that you can do casually (legally).

-Dean.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do it pretty often, but I'm cautious about it. It's not usually done in bumper to bumper traffic. It's usually on an empty street in the middle of the night. That's a pretty common misconception. The problem is the Fast and Furious fans that don't have a lot of driving experience under their belts. I guess I'm part of the problem too, but it sure is fun. Must be a testosterone thing. Who knows?

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for anything everytime I hit the street, but in the last 2 years I can count on 1 hand how many races I have had. I am a victim of my location.

Furthermore, I do know the penalties and am willing to accept them if they occur. As long as common sense is used, I don't feel the street is too terribly more dangerous than a strip.

The difference is on the street you have innocent drivers out there that didnt put themselves and there family on the street to spectate or worse, get innocently involved.To many egos and emmotions in street racing.immagine one mistake weather it yours or someone elses,someone innocent hurt or killed.not only do you have to live with it but laws regaurding vehicular manslaughter are very strict.I know i have spent a lot of years working for what i have not to throw it away on a meaningless street race.I may sound like i am preaching but i know from personal experience the results from street racing are devastating.I have scraped to many people off the roads from street racing gone bad.1TIME AND IT RIPS YOUR HEART OUT.besides what do you have to prove,that you can beat the local mustang.Save your bragging rights for the track.Ok i am off my soap box

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The difference is on the street you have innocent drivers out there that didnt put themselves and there family on the street to spectate or worse, get innocently involved.To many egos and emmotions in street racing.immagine one mistake weather it yours or someone elses,someone innocent hurt or killed.not only do you have to live with it but laws regaurding vehicular manslaughter are very strict.I know i have spent a lot of years working for what i have not to throw it away on a meaningless street race.I may sound like i am preaching but i know from personal experience the results from street racing are devastating.I have scraped to many people off the roads from street racing gone bad.1TIME AND IT RIPS YOUR HEART OUT.besides what do you have to prove,that you can beat the local mustang.Save your bragging rights for the track.Ok i am off my soap box

Wanna race. Lol. Point taken, but even at the track one can not be naive to the point to think they are safe from something unfortunate happening. There have been many incidents at tracks where innocent lives have been lost or scraped from the bleachers.
We take risks evertime we step into a car whether being on a track or the street. Racing or casually driving. It's just a fact of life. Bad things happen to good people and bad people. No one can control every situation no matter how hard one tries to follow the rules.
:usa:

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that we all "get on it once and awhile". There is a big difference between goosin' it abit and driving like a maniac. Little blasts on the highway with nobody around are fine; but I don't like it in traffic. It is not me that I am worried about; it is the other guy. Guys get wound up tighter than a tick to think they are going to race a Viper, and clear judgement goes right out the window.

5 deaths here in Quebec during the long-weekend. All street racers with rice. I think the big factor here is the braking system on the ricer cars. They spend more money on coffee can exhausts, the "in car video game system", sound systems etc...but I have yet to see improved breaking systems on any ricer cars up here. Honda Civic's were not designed to brake from 140 mph on a continuous basis. All 5 accidents were attributed to lack of braking power (police said braking distance was too long). I guess that would be brake fade right?

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the time, street racing is simply not worth my time.
-Dean.

I agree, but the only exception would be if a yellow Z06 tried to egg me on. Right, Dean? :D ;)

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest problem I see is defining what the race is.

If you're lined up, the road is clear, there is limited access to the road, and there's a good indication of which car is pulling away, I see no problems.

My problem is that I seem to run into these young kids that want to race no matter where you are. If they can't beat you outright (which is like never if you're in a Viper) then they'll pull some really stupid stunts like cutting through traffic and taking terrible chances.

If you involve innocent bystanders in your race in a smaller community you are apt create intense hostilities from friends and neighbors. Like no one is going to notice a Viper racing.

Ditto.

I do it when it's on access roads and back roads that I know well when the timing is right (no traffice in front of us, no cross roads and no cops after a recon pass). Otherwise I wave em off.

But sometimes on the highway if it's really late or the traffic is light I'll get someone who wants to play (mostly in the Lightning or SS - never in the Viper) and I'll indulge.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We take risks evertime we step into a car whether being on a track or the street. Racing or casually driving. It's just a fact of life. Bad things happen to good people and bad people. No one can control every situation no matter how hard one tries to follow the rules.
:usa:

How crazy and ridiculous is that talk? Yeah we take risks everytime we get out of bed... but does that mean you can take risks for me?

You need your car confiscated.... the general public doesn't take the family truckster down to the race track.... because they don't have the skill or desire to be involved in the risks of a race... who are you to take the risk to them by street racing?

Again, I say, you need your car confiscated!

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe once a year I'll run through a couple of gears on the street. I have gotten where I'd rather take it to the track...

Roy

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have deleted my initial post as it did not pertain to this topic. I will contact malcoll privately.

If the oppurtunity arises for ME to run against another vehicle and there is no APPARENT danger to anyone then I will certainly hit the go pedal and see what happens.

My surroundings are less populated than most and using common sense can go a long way in whatever one is doing. :usa:

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of comments regarding "RISK"

My ten cents
When we take our cars to the track we all sign up for the risk we take - comparing street racing to open track events, from the risk point of view is simply moronic.

Racing on the street puts people at potential risk (as stated here by others) that have no clue of the danger they are putting themselves in if they happen to be on the same piece of road as the "street racer".

At track events, all the cars are going in the same direction, (most of the time)- the rules are clearly defined (most of the time) - the participants drive within their skill level (most of the time)- there are trained safety crews (most of the time)- there are cornerworkers there to protect the saftey of the participants etc etc etc and most important of all, most participants are well aware of the dangers inherant in the activity and behave accordingly.
Occasionally we see a newcomer driving at the track with "street racer" mentality and they shape up real quick or they are in a wall - I personally witnessed one of these guys who showed up at Laguna Seca, bragged about the 70K he had just spent on his car and then stuffed it into the wall between turns 3 and 4 on a warm up lap. You get the point.

Speaking generally, at the track we put our cars much closer to limits than the street racers can achieve in their few seconds of EGO and we learn very quickly what is appropriate and what is not.
In ALL the track events I have participated in only once have I had a street racer type endanger me and my car - he was spoken to by the organizers and was given a choice - shape up or take the car home.

Those that deny the risks of street racing, in any form, only need go as far as the state highway patrol statistics barrel - the data is shocking - lots of dead people, street racers, passengers in the cars of street racers, and innocent bystanders - This past year we had a young girl racing a Ricer through Pebble Beach and killed herself and injured her passenger - she was driving at excessive speed, no drugs or alcohol in her system.

Now go look up all the open track events,viper days events and see how many deaths. To my knowledge, a big fat zero.

AND this is a free country - a driving license is not a right, it is a privilage - to my mind a privilage not worth risking. Now just so I don't sound like I'm a Saint - I have been pulled over at 104mph and 110 mph , ticketed both times. Both incidents prior to running Viper Days and other open track events. The more track stuff I did, the more I realized by street exploits were pretty [******] silly and I WAS risking harm to others - for what, a thrill....which leads me to the next point......

Guys.... and girls - stomping on it on the street is one thing - definately a rush - but just does not compare to taking this fabulous car to the track. THERE IS NO COMPARISON. The Viper in particular is an awesome track car - I invite all you Viper Street racers to take it to the track - IT IS A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE - you will develop a respect for this car, a taste for the thrill, the challenge of honing your driving skills and taking this car to YOUR LIMITS and you will be putting yourself in great company IN A RELATIVELY SAFE ENVIRONMENT.

At Viperdays events you will have the experience of watching, maybe even riding with guys that can take THE CAR to its limits.

DO THIS - give it up on the street.

Stay safe!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dangerous...yes, should not do it !! But given the chance it is almost impossible for me to resist. What Vipermed says is true. Tonight I had a group of young crotch rocket guys stop me as I cruised thru a hang out parking lot. They wanted me to race one of the bikes...I said where ? My wife said....uh...is it going to be smart to race a 19 year old on a motorcycle......and risk everything we have worked for ? I passed and told them I would check back in one night when I was alone....at least I couldn't hurt her that way. GERALD..THIS IS your fault,me dreaming about busting a bike :) Have you guys checked out the web site in my sig ? It has or can have by request local forums for your area. Street racing is but a small part, it keeps the local guys up to date on anything car related happening in the area.
http://www.streetracingforum.com/

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper in particular is an awesome track car - I invite all you Viper Street racers to take it to the track - IT IS A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE

I'm sure it's fun and all, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was change my life.

At Viperdays events you will have the experience of watching, maybe even riding with guys that can take THE CAR to its limits.

I can't afford it. I'll keep it on the streets where it's free.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do it knowing what risks are involved and did not [******] to a cop that pulled me over this last sunday. Infact I was honest with him, and the result of I got a huge break :) There is something about street racing or just going thru the gears up to 176mph :D You cant duplicate that in any road track or drag strip, I've tried and came up way short :p

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's usually too populated here, but some folks have no common sense. As ballsy as these 'challengers' THINK they are I can't get one of them to join me at Sebring. Apparently they're scared sh*tless of a real track or they know they're going to get their butts handed to them.

I should put a sticker on my Vipers "Got balls? Meet me at Sebring or go f- yourself"

All these insects get tiresome.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a little story, I used to get up around 5 am every sunday to go on a little high speed fling through the twisties around my home. Been doing it for years, No one around, early in the am, no cops , no nothing. One beautiful morning I was aproaching a crest where I could get my little Dino airborn , I down shifted & hammered it, For some reason I nailed the brakes HARD. Must have been divine intervention, because as I crested the hill , I found 3 kids on bikes with fishing poles, stopped in the middle of the road lighting up some cigarettes.
That was in 1985 & thats when my track driving career started. Take it to the track.If you kill anyone there at least you know the risks. I couldnt imagine what life would have been like if I stayed in the gas that day.

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone gets the urge from time to time. Use your brain and not your right foot. Keep your racing safe on the track whether it be a drag strip or on the road course. It's a hell of alot more fun and they don't give tickets there for doing 120MPH or more.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would race with Chuck any day(on a track)...because I know he knows his stuff and I could trust him with MY life. I am a lousy racer(but trying to get better)and would want to warn Chuck about same...I am sure his skills could compensate for mine on a TRACK....but never on a street, at any time, at any place.

CStegall

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"There is something about street racing or just going thru the gears up to 176mph You cant duplicate that in any road track or drag strip, I've tried and came up way short"

You gotta be kidding, right?
I wonder why you don't see John Force on the street than or Schumacher :rolleyes:
If the tracks your running are giving you that impression, then you need to grab a hand full of gas money and head to a real track!
Your badly needing a ViperDays fix.
Not a personal attack, just have three young boys and a wife. Life is much more valuable to me than street racing!

I got passed the other night by some ricer at 3:00 am coming back from Mid America. When they passed me they must have been doin a buck twenty. That little sh!tter was barely touching the ground when it went by. I thought he was gonna take me out, wannabe's :mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte