Street Racing Poll

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would race with Chuck any day(on a track)...because I know he knows his stuff and I could trust him with MY life. I am a lousy racer(but trying to get better)and would want to warn Chuck about same...I am sure his skills could compensate for mine on a TRACK....but never on a street, at any time, at any place.

CStegall

Sandbagger.

I can picture the grin on your face as you play my ego and lure me into a false sense of security then blow by me to prove the "piss-yellow" point. I won't fall for it. LOL

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon Chuckster...you know I would never do that...(hold on a minute. Archer's on the phone with some camber question.... :smirk: )

And don't any of you guys kid yourself. Chuck knows how to race. His poetry sux but his racing is top notch.

Your sandbagging friend,
CStegall

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have deleted my initial post as it did not pertain to this topic. I will contact malcoll privately.

If the oppurtunity arises for ME to run against another vehicle and there is no APPARENT danger to anyone then I will certainly hit the go pedal and see what happens.

My surroundings are less populated than most and using common sense can go a long way in whatever one is doing. :usa:

When you've had to carry the casket of a high school friend who was street racing and drove under a parked tractor trailer...it was at night...... then talk about common sense.

Tim killed himself....... he thought it was safe on Edgewood Avenue at 2:00 a.m.......... I guess he was wrong. By the way it was a closed casket funeral.... think about it.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have deleted my initial post as it did not pertain to this topic. I will contact malcoll privately.

If the oppurtunity arises for ME to run against another vehicle and there is no APPARENT danger to anyone then I will certainly hit the go pedal and see what happens.

My surroundings are less populated than most and using common sense can go a long way in whatever one is doing. :usa:

When you've had to carry the casket of a high school friend who was street racing and drove under a parked tractor trailer...it was at night...... then talk about common sense.

Tim killed himself....... he thought it was safe on Edgewood Avenue at 2:00 a.m.......... I guess he was wrong. By the way it was a closed casket funeral.... think about it.

It sounds like your friend was stupid or maybe couldn't drive. That was the risk he took and he paid the price. There were probably things I did in high school that were stupid enough to have killed me, but I either got lucky or had enough sense to know my limits. Believe me there are thousands of stories just like this that everyone is well aware of. Sad yes.

As Dr Phil says, "I am not saying it is right, I am just saying that's the way it is."

I have pm'd you my personal feelings not related to this topic.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving skill is moot when you find yourself coming up on a parked tractor-trailer in the dark... with no lights on it........ and at excessive speed no one can react quick enough. This incident was long after high school......

You are right... he took the risk... and that was his choice, but if he had killed someone else.... would that have been his right to make the choice for them?

Come on... street racing is just wrong.. that's one reason why it's illegal..... take a look at all the other responses!

Dr. Phil just says that for ratings..... by the way.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on... street racing is just wrong.. that's one reason why it's illegal..... take a look at all the other responses!

Dr. Phil just says that for ratings..... by the way.

Ahhh Lance, it's only illegal if ya get caught. :D

Dr. Phil RULES!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think racing on a road with ANY other cars is one of the stupidest things that can be done, but, preach your moral high grounds all you want, until race tracks are:
- More leanent with the track rules (ie - rollcage ect...)
- Cheaper
- More widely avaible
- better kept
- more convienent to get time on

I'll see ya on the road.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonk makes a good point. It's very difficult to get a track or dragstrip built these days. Although it wouldn't stop street racing, it would undoubtedly cut down on it. The street is just ************ after a couple seasons on a track.

I don't mind if somebody lights 'em up a little bit on a vacant road, but if your competition is still hanging with you into third gear shut it down and set a time to hit the dragstrip.

I road race and can never get any of these wimps to come to a track.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Chuck - your "street racing is ************" comment is mine - I claim plagerism (did I spell that right) Jezz, the Wall Street journal hires guys like you I heard!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin, didn't you steal it from George Castanza? The Seinfeld episode where they were selling their idea to NBC about "a show about nothing."

S

SUN RA KAT

I don't street race simply because it would be a waste of gas to race 99.999% of the cars on the street. There are a very small number of cars that would be a good race and/or beat me big time, but at the power level of my Viper it would be extremely dangerous to race on the street.

I bought and modified my Viper for my pleasure, not for other people's pleasure or for helping the police collect revenue money. If other people and/or police want to take pleasure in looking at my Viper driving safely & sanely, then that makes me happy, too.

But first and foremost, street racing is extremely dangerous for any cars to do, simply because of the huge number of bad drivers on the road that don't pay attention to what the heck they are doing while they are driving and everyone's life would be on the line if one of these idiots ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of you.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ricers seem to be a common annoyance...several on this thread have described "rice challenge" situations. Ricers may be the most annoying things on the street other than Chevys...

Some ingenious entrepreneur needs to come up with an aerosol "rice repellent." Just spray the stuff out the window and the riceboy punk junk is gone.

Man sometimes when I see that punk crap on the road I almost expect to see Godzilla and Mothra start knocking down buildings and tossing the ricer cars around...

TFAST4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I street race only on days that end in y.

Hay Chuck 98 RT/10, you and I meet drag racing on the street, and I did go to Sebring where you put your GTS in the tire wall with my friend in the car. No place is safe. Was that event put on by " SAFE Motorsports "? I had fun both times on and off the track.LOL

Here are my .02 for the " Street Racing Poll ". In FL street racing is a common thing. Much more than the other states I have lived in. Remember the good old USA is the home of the free. That's why we pay 40% in taxes. WE ARE FREE TO DO WHAT WE WANT. As long as we know the price. No one here that ownes a VIPER is going to tell me thay follow ALL the rules on the street. If you do, get a YUGO. I can just say for my self we race 99% of the time at night far from other cars. The other alturnitive is a 1/4 mile track called Moroso, open for Test & Tune Wed. & Fridays. We go 8 times a month and to Events all over FL. If someone will only race at the track we go there. If not, we do it on the street. Given the right place at the right time against any thing with a motor that I know I have a chance with ( there has to be $$ involved ) I will do it right than and there. I do not talk for hours on end on how fast the Viper, LS1 Z28, or GSXR 1000 is. Line um up. Bring it. I have been street/track racing for over 19 years, and will street/track race for the rest of my life. I love it. There is nothing like it. Hell I think it is better than Sky Diving. Done that to.

In closing here is the funny part of all this. When there is a street race.......and when the race is over, someone always askes " Who won? " and I always say " No one ever wins, we just spend alot of $$ on our cars and have fun ".

And for those of you that disagree. No need to worry. Like I said above. This is the good old USA, the home of the free. Give it 5 more years, street racing, and the right to bare arms in all 50 states will be a thing of the past!

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I went down just this evening to the local street racing hangout - the cops had yellow-taped three gas stations and were aggressively hassling pretty much everyone who even drove by as to why they were in the area. I myself got pinched for no front plate - first time I've ever been ticketed for it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hay Chuck 98 RT/10, you and I meet drag racing on the street,

Yep, and I know where it was. Absolutely no side streets, no traffic at all, no possibility for oncoming traffic, no way for pedestrians to access the road, well lit, straight for miles and clear for as far as the eye could see. Know where I'm talking about? Of course you do. Illegal? Yes. Dangerous? No more so than a trip down the dragstrip. Not a big deal, but it's still a rare occurrence for me.

I don't condone street racing because if I did idiots would have an "anytime, anywhere" attitude and that's the attitude that causes accidents. Still, you rarely see me blasting street racers, just discouraging it. It's foolish to think that it will ever stop, it's just that too many folks are stupid about it. Every city has their idiots racing on busy and unsafe streets. Dumb. No doubt where and when we did it would have only involved you and me.

The street really is getting passé for me though. It's actually a bigger thrill at the dragstrip. At the risk of sounding melodramatic - staging, sitting at the tree, looking down the strip is a childhood dream come true for a guy that didn't come from a motorhead family. It's like the awe of an NFL player walking onto the field before the start of the game. And going through the traps at 120mph is scoring the game-winning touchdown.

But I get an even bigger thrill going into a turn at 140mph - and you really CAN'T do that on the street. Unfortunately all those punks with their "game faces" haven't got the balls to try a real track like Sebring. They have more excuses for not tracking than they do for their many drag racing losses. Wimps.

BTW you still lovin' that GTS??? :)

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ntmatter,
Andy - my son went down to the same area (Kent) a few weeks ago to check it out as well. He found the same thing. Cops were everywhere. He pulled into a parking lot to turn around and got nabbed for trespassing. There was a small sign posted that said "no trespassing, loitering or skateboarding". The cop was a complete a$$. Summons came in the mail yesterday. He is charged with 2nd degree criminal trespassing and has to appear in court next week. He had wanted me to cruise down there with him that night. Glad I didn't.

Bob K

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I street race only on days that end in y.

.......... Remember the good old USA is the home of the free. That's why we pay 40% in taxes. WE ARE FREE TO DO WHAT WE WANT. As long as we know the price.

No.......... you can pursue your life, liberty and happiness..... as long is your pursuit does not encroach on other's pursuit.

Otherwise, theft and ****** would be a constitutional right as well. Endanger yourselves all you want.. that is your right, just don't endanger others.... you don't have that right.

TFAST4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

BTW you still lovin' that GTS ???

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Chuck. Matter of fact. Chuck had a major part in why I got my first Viper. Just thought you would like to know Chuck. Thanks.

As far as lovin the GTS. It's the best investment I have ever made, other than the 3 day Driving School Justin Bell offers at Moroso. I am now part of a bigger family. Viper owners ROCK. Bottom line. The Viper is a 97 GTS Blue & White. It is down for the time being. I have the DIY Roe s/c on the GTS. Read the posts on the " Open form for the Roe s/c " and you will see what has been going on. I'm now know as CRAZY GLUE. LOL

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You like to drive fast do you? Take it to the track! People who street race, putting others at risk (and they do) need some serious help. What's the added excitement on the street, that someone (an innocent bystander) might die? Get a grip. Please don't embarrass the Viper Nation with talk of crazy speeds on streets filled with people who don't expect you coming at 176 MPH.

TFAST4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Molcoll,

·(encroach on, upon) enter, impinge on, infringe on, intrude on, invade, make inroads on, trespass on, violate.

I guess you missed the part in my post " I can just say for my self we race 99% of the time at night far from other cars. The other alturnitive is a 1/4 mile track called Moroso, open for Test & Tune Wed. & Fridays. ".

I agree with you 99%. I have that thing called free will, it's a b*t*h some times.

BTW, I think we have a another NEW LAW here in FL where you CAN NOT smoke inside Restaurants any more. Or is it the New Seat belt Law, or no Helmet Law. I get confused. There are so many. Bottom line, use commonsense. We would not want to " endanger others "

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reality, your geographic location dictates to a high degree your potential for "acceleration tests"

A Manhattan resident is far less likely to street race on the local roads than a resident of Billings Montana or Amarillo Texas.

I wonder though, what is the ratio of ****** users who are also street racers, sword swallowers and social hyperdermic needle users?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder though, what is the ratio of ****** users who are also street racers, sword swallowers and social hyperdermic needle users?

You know Tom, I have often asked myself that very same question! Maybe someone here can provide the vital statistics or maybe a Haines list to check the demographics for that very pool. I would venture to guess it is a relatively small group that is getting smaller all the time! :D

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what the ratio of weathly(er) car owners verse poor(er) take on this? Seems to me that the more vocal people on this subject seem to have a lot of disposable cash and time while the people who actualy engage in this pastime seem to have little of either.

The simple reality is if I had two hours and $50+ to waste every time I got the urge to spank some Furds I'd probably be spokesperson for the anti-FnF movement. However since the average car guy doesn't make six figures flipping burgers (at least in my area) these days I find it hard to believe they would have a significantly higher moral position.

To me the Racing issue is a matter of logistics and pride. Logisitics being the very, very few tracks in comparison to racers and pride that its never any fun taking the family car to the strip to be spanked over and over again.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are on to something Bonkers. Many of the few supporters of street racing mention costs associated with renting tracks or altering cars to meet safety standards. However both are weak arguments and tortured logic for the willful endangering of an innocent public. If the budget forces one into this predicament, one should consider selling the Viper and geting a Mustang with 5K in mods and go spank some Vipers at the strip.

As fars as the affluent being against street racing, it's worth noting is that there is a correlation between IQ, education and income levels over a broad spectrum of society.

The most tortured argument I have heard so far is comparing our second amendment right to bear arms to a right to street race. If this logic works, I guess I can use my neighbors house as a backstop while I sight in my deer rifle.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Molcoll,

·(encroach on, upon) enter, impinge on, infringe on, intrude on, invade, make inroads on, trespass on, violate.

I guess you missed the part in my post " I can just say for my self we race 99% of the time at night far from other cars. The other alturnitive is a 1/4 mile track called Moroso, open for Test & Tune Wed. & Fridays. ".

I agree with you 99%. I have that thing called free will, it's a b*t*h some times.

BTW, I think we have a another NEW LAW here in FL where you CAN NOT smoke inside Restaurants any more. Or is it the New Seat belt Law, or no Helmet Law. I get confused. There are so many. Bottom line, use commonsense. We would not want to " endanger others "

Exactly, as in.... your street racing violates my right to pursue a safe drive to the grocery store....... keep in mind I am talking about open street racing in public when there are other drivers and pedestrians around.

And yeah.... I am torn... I think our government is in our business too much. Personally on the smoking in restaurants... I feel that a business owner should be able to decide what market he/she caters to.... if I want to be a smoking establishment.. then non-smokers can choose not to enter my establishment!! You know..... as long as it is clearly posted on the entry that this is a smoking establishment....... they can choose and vote with their dollars!!!

About the seatbelts... I have yet to determine how the wearing, or not, of my seat belt endangers or protects others???? I hate that seatbelt law...... I do wear a seat belt, but [******]... I should be able to decide if I want to wear it!

They are all tough positions to decide..... but street racing is definitely a danger that the average Joe Public should be subjected to!

I would just not want anything to happen to my wife or my son out there on the roads!!

Where in Florida are you located? :D

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
........... and the right to bare arms in all 50 states will be a thing of the past!

You mean we will all have to wear long sleeve shirts all the time???? I'm buying stock in a dress shirt manufacturing plant!