Stripped seat stud found

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To install the Roe Clutch linkage I removed the drivers seat. When I went to reinstall I found (confirmed) that one of the rear studs was completely stripped. I have chased both the nut and stud. Although the nut will now turn it will not hold any load since the major diameter of the stud is well undersized.

My understanding is that these studs are not replaceable. So before I build some sort of sleeve has anyone encountered this problem and found a suitable solution?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have a tap and dye set I would try and rethread the bolt. Havent experienced this sort of problem with my viper. but have on my other car and it worked fine, had to use a smaller nut. good luck

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my '04. The nut is fixed...........correct????

I simply went to my local auto supply store with one of the other studs. They had a series of fixed nuts and I was able to duplicate what I needed. Less than $1.

Don

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is an option, go to a 6mm stud. I would not have to thread it far, just enough to get the full nut on it. Use a spacer to take up the rest of the distance. Might be the easiest approach.

I was/am contemplating making it larger. Have not run the dimensions yet, but build a sleeve that is a undersized 8mm threaded id with a 10 or 12 mm od. Use some sort if industrial bonding agent to permanently bond the sleeve to what is left of the post.

If that does not work then I can always go smaller.

Thanks for the comments.