**** back.....

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the technical name (if there is one) for that "**** back" sound you get when you push in the clutch and lift off the gas at high rpm just before a shift? Why does it sound like the engine is taking a deep breath after continuously exhaling up to high rpm? (Does this post qualify to stay in the RT/GTS - or any - forum?
supergrin.gif
)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is lift-throttle or part-throttle. At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) the engine is running at near atmospheric intake pressure. When the throttle butterflies close, the intake manifold goes to a vacuum condition and you hear the sucking past the throttle plates.

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
It is lift-throttle or part-throttle. At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) the engine is running at near atmospheric intake pressure. When the throttle butterflies close, the intake manifold goes to a vacuum condition and you hear the sucking past the throttle plates.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dean,

Thanks for the response (you too Maxx), I thought this post was deader than roadkill. (And I really was curious as to the answer to my question.)