Supercharge a Viper....But Why???

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just wondering why anyone would Supercharge a Viper? I always see people Post dyno #'s of their Supercharged Vipers but never see anyone Post 1/4 Mile times or actual track numbers.

I'm sure that plenty of you guys have Posted track times etc. & I probably just haven't been on the board long enough to see those Posts.
I'm not trying to down any Tuners who specialize in this or flame anyones car or hard earned work/time/money they've put into their car! I love ALL Vipers!

There could very well be some 9 or 10 second Supercharged Vipers out there that I'm just unaware of. But all I hear from different people in my area are that these are strictly "Dyno" cars & I wanted to know what actual owners & or Tuners thought about it.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan B.

I wonder why more Viper guys aren't going the Supercharger route?
I had a Vortech Supercharger on a Z28 almost 10 years ago but I was told that you COULDN'T put one on a Viper when I first bought the GTS in 96. I think a lot of Viper owners in Houston would get shocked if they raced that Jamie Furmnan guy you mentioned. From everything I hear @ Houston - they're strictly for "Dyno Day."

I think more Supercharged Vipers should Post like you just did because there is definitely a myth going around.

Thanks for the info Dan.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I wonder why more Viper guys aren't going the Supercharger route?
I had a Vortech Supercharger on a Z28 almost 10 years ago
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's all because of the $$$ how much did that supercharger for the Z28 cost? $15K or $20K nope more like $3,500 If there were easy DIY supercharger kits for the Viper costing $3,500 everyone would have one.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I'm just wondering why anyone would Supercharge a Viper? I always see people Post dyno #'s of their Supercharged Vipers but never see anyone Post 1/4 Mile times or actual track numbers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean like this:

"Trey Pullen

01 GTS/Serpent 505

+ TNT 3" Stainless Exhaust
+ 1 3/4" TNT Headers
+ TNT 65mm Throttle Bodies
+ Ported Intake manifold
+ Race Air Induction
+ 1.7 Billet Shaft Rockers
+ Hardened Pushrods
+ 8.5 mm Plug Wires
+ 3.45 Rear End
+ TNT Aluminum Flywheel

Horsepower ****
537.2 HP & 587.9 TQ
459.2 RWHP & 502.5 RWTQ"

???

tongue.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey,
I"m on my second supercharged Viper now, Going to be delivered probably next week sometime. I'm not a drag racer and frankly, never did a 1/4 mile before. If I WAS a drag racer, and only interested 1/4 mile times and wanted an extra 200 or so HP , NO2 would be on my car. Well, I don't drag race and I"m interested in 200 or so HP ALL the TIME. When I get my Viper, I"ll post my sorry 1/4 mile times as I'll try and get into the racing scene.. Just not my thing.. I'm more of a Friday/Saturday Night kind of guy that likes to look at 1/2 naked women in nightclubs rather than look at greasy guys and their rides
laugh.gif

Gerald

Janni,

Nice one there!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janni:

You mean like this:

"Trey Pullen

01 GTS/Serpent 505

+ TNT 3" Stainless Exhaust
+ 1 3/4" TNT Headers
+ TNT 65mm Throttle Bodies
+ Ported Intake manifold
+ Race Air Induction
+ 1.7 Billet Shaft Rockers
+ Hardened Pushrods
+ 8.5 mm Plug Wires
+ 3.45 Rear End
+ TNT Aluminum Flywheel

Horsepower ****
537.2 HP & 587.9 TQ
459.2 RWHP & 502.5 RWTQ"

???

tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoah, look at Janni dishin' it out!
smile.gif

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Dan, Mes, & Gerald. Always wondered and I think I now know. I always thought it wasn't possible or plausible I should say. Before I came to this board I'd never heard of Levin or SVS just the Tuners here in Texas. I wonder how the Supercharged Vipers would fair against a Twin Turbo Viper??

I'll learn from 1bad gts's mistakes and not respond to Janni.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Moderators for what I said about Janni & I'm sorry to anyone who read it and was offended - but I feel that if she can dish it out - she should be able to take it too. I guess you don't agree because you erased it. That's my first Post that's been erased & I'll try & make it my last.

For all those interested....spending $13 Grand on bolt-ons (NO Engine Work At All) isn't really impressive to me. I really didn't think anyone would be too interested in what my car did at the track at this stage. I sure wouldn't be too thrilled to read what someone did at the track that had the mods I have.

Everyone who knows me - knows that the games are about to begin - then I'd think it would be right to Post track times.

John you're hilarious!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You've got a lot of SMACK in you! I myself can't get loose on this board. Go figure.
confused.gif

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:
I wonder how the Supercharged Vipers would fair against a Twin Turbo Viper??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Why.... do you know of any FAST Twin Turbo Vipers?

Max

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheyster,

You're exactly right! I plan on having a complete package myself too.

Max,

Johns Venom 800 TT is EXTREMLEY FAST. On his very 1st run at the track last week SW got a 10.5 at 145MPH w/ a broken toe! John himself got a 10.3 out of it too. And that car has the stock bottom end. Still not better than Dougs 10.1 that Dan B Posted earlier but very impressive!

I forgot to ask Dan what type engine Doug had but that just showed me that you can get great times either way. Supercharger or TT.
Can you imagine what kind of time SW woulda got with a 514 CID Venom TT?
embarass.gif
embarass.gif
I myself had just never seen any Posted 1/4 ET's from Supercharged Vipers and was interested to see what was possible. Dan B cleared all that up......

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks ScottP and FastFreddie for the info. it did help!
smile.gif

It seems to me like every Supercharged Viper #1 comes from Doug & #2 is capable of 10 sec ET's! Anyone know what Doug's web site address is? I've never been to his site & would like to take a look around.

Anyone have any idea on how much his "TOP OF THE LINE" Supercharger is & what all it entails?

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey,
DLM is one of the biggest Viper tuners in the Country. They build as many engines as Arrow but on a performance level. If your ever in Florida, you have got to stop by DLM. Mark my words: I have NEVER seen so many Vipers and engines under construction in my life! Until you own a DLM Supercharged Viper you'll never understand why I am so nutty about one. I've owned Ferrari's, Porsche's, Vette's.......... I've never kept a car as long as I have mine and intend to keep my DLM SC Viper for a heck of a long time!

Chuck

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Hennessey / HMS:
Blowers make good power and with lots of polished aluminum offer very good ****-factor. Throw on a 300 shot of NOS on them and they are fast too
laugh.gif

BTW, Trey laid down some good numbers for his first time to the track. He just needs some traction.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Boy John,
That was pretty low..........

confused.gif

Tom

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck B 98 GTS:
Trey,
DLM is one of the biggest Viper tuners in the Country. They build as many engines as Arrow but on a performance level. If your ever in Florida, you have got to stop by DLM. Mark my words: I have NEVER seen so many Vipers and engines under construction in my life! Until you own a DLM Supercharged Viper you'll never understand why I am so nutty about one. I've owned Ferrari's, Porsche's, Vette's.......... I've never kept a car as long as I have mine and intend to keep my DLM SC Viper for a heck of a long time!

Chuck

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Chuck for the input I appreciate it. I know A LOT of guys w/ Nitrous on their cars. Not just Vipers. But that's just not for me. I wouldn't ever do that to mine & the Power's gotta come from somewhere. The only alternatives I have are Turbo or Supercharger. I'm just trying to get as much info I can, from EVERYONE I can, about the 2 systems. Pro's & Con's, ANYTHING! A big part of that concern is 1/4 Mile ET's (hence this Post). The only thing I know for certain is they both cost a heck of a lot & I don't want to dive in until I'm "informed."

What better place to get informed?

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:
For all those interested....spending $13 Grand on bolt-ons (NO Engine Work At All) isn't really impressive to me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Trey,
Understandably so.......... Correct me if I'm wrong, John Hennessy has been bolting on parts for a heck of a lot more than $13 grand for years. Hennessey's comment about "pimped-out blower systems" should remind him that DLM is currently one of the hottest Viper tuners and has one of the most sought-after supercharger performance packages. DLM has a growing waiting list for the 2003 Viper.

With SVS, Heffner, Roe, DLM (sorry if I left out anybody) all should be offering a DIY bolt on system soon that I think should be great assets to the Viper performance market.

Ross

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about the reliability factor? I heard that Superchargers do make tons of power but are CONSTANTLY breaking because of that.
Is that true?

Dan B,
Are you constantly sending your car back to Doug for repairs or tuning? Or anyone for that matter.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started this thread, 'Supercharge a Viper....But Why'

Well I just found out WHY! In a word.....SCOTT P!!

I just read all about his car under Viper/Racing/Dyno and all I can say is WOW!
cool.gif
cool.gif

Sounds like his car is Amazing! Thanks to everyone who helped w/ information!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King some guys do get past the dyno like me.My supercharged car is mild compared to what you usually read about on the board 5psi on a completely stock engine, exhaust etc. Runs 10.8 10.9 in the low 130's on a 19" pirelli pzero and 10.4's 10.5's at about 135 with M&H ET Streets.Thats on pump gas with stock exhaust at a cost of a little over 10grand installed with about 2 years of use trouble free.So maybe this will help you understand why.

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Hennessey / HMS:
Scott, it was a joke. I have nothing but the highest regard for Doug and the work that he does. Anyone who wants to attain the highest levels of power using blowers, turbos and adding nos to them, I am all for it, as my signature implies
smile.gif
Have fun and please dont take all the comments on the internet too seriously.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>John,
Thanks for clearing that up. I have faith in you........

Cheers,
Tom

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to try to some 1/4 mile runs this summer after i put on the sean roe SC. It will be interesting as I will also be putting on the BTR nitrous kit w 300hp. I already have the drag wheels and tires, hd halfshafts, and safety loops. But finances are tight after all this and I still have to get a roll bar.
It may take a while as I am new and this will be a handfull.
Here in No. calif there aren't a lot of viper drag racers. We are sort of the black sheep of the group. A lot of road racers though.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to try to some 1/4 mile runs this summer after i put on the sean roe SC. It will be interesting as I will also be putting on the BTR nitrous kit w 300hp. I already have the drag wheels and tires, hd halfshafts, and safety loops. But finances are tight after all this and I still have to get a roll bar.
It may take a while as I am new and this will be a handfull.
Here in No. calif there aren't a lot of viper drag racers. We are sort of the black sheep of the group. A lot of road racers though.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw on those drag wheels and join me at Sacramento 5/18 for the grudge drags! I could use the company -- I end up being the only Viper racing at these events

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...actually, I'm not disppoinated about S/C'd not posting times,

I'm disappointed that NA are not posting times - that is, the fast ones.

A lot of people get BB chevys way down in the 10's at over 135 mph using 100% Chevy parts - and I'm talkin all that old vintage Mark IV stuff!

One would think a Viper could equal or better this - that means a fast one should be in the vicinity of 140 mph NA.

I still think these people are out there, however, if one knows how to make a Viper sing AND are not in the tuner business, frankly, there wouldn't be much reason to frequent this forum.