"Supercharged!"

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Supercharged!\"

Hey Folks,

I don't know how many people actually like to read automotive publications, I for one often do not, unless they are specific to something I care about. However, while looking for a SAE book on LS1 motors,(a friend has tasked me with assisting in his 2003 Vette 383cu stroker motor build) I stumbled upon a book called "Supercharged!" by Corky Bell. I was thoroughly impressed with this book, as it demystifies such a large portion of things related to SC that you don't often get answers to. Tuners are often too busy working then their time allows for "teaching lessons" and also some of that stuff they often consider "top secret/proprietary"

This book covers the 3 major types of blowers, the physics of such, the pros and the cons, the efficiencies, the % of gain or loss from various changes, intercooling, intake manifolds, Fuel injection, A/F (relative to injector sizes, fuel pumps, regulators, etc)(huge plus for me), chamber events, drive mechanics, engine prep, TESTING THE SYSTEM, appropriate design, etc...

This book by no means is going to put any tuners out of business, in fact, it probably will make their life a LOT easier, if they recommended their customers/clients read said book, as its best to BOTH know the Supercharger Language if your BOTH going to try to communicate in it.

Great read. I have no affiliation to the book, publisher or even author, it was just that compelling and enlightening that I felt I must share it.

"Supercharged!"
Design,Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems
by Corky Bell
www.BentleyPublishers.com

I got my copy from Barnes and Noble.

Jon

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Jon,

I have the same book. It's awesome! Mr. Bell has another book out called Maximum Boost . It is similar to the "Supercharged!" book but all about turbochargers. Although some of the material is redundant, both books are excellent. These are both must have books for anyone interested in boost!

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Jon,

I have the same book. It's awesome! Mr. Bell has another book out called Maximum Boost . It is similar to the "Supercharged!" book but all about turbochargers. Although some of the material is redundant, both books are excellent. These are both must have books for anyone interested in boost!

Hehehee.. I've had a copy of "Maximum Boost" since I was 11 years old. Good reading. Now I'm going to have to pull it out and browse through it again :)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Ron,

You are always 2 steps ahead of me !! Glad you also enjoyed the book. AT least I can say I SC before you.. lol.

Fletcher,

When you were 11 huh ? what are you 14 now ? Maybe the Max Boost book is older then the SC one, but SC is only 3 years old. lol, im sure your kidding, but what is the publish data of the Max boost book ?

Jon

MADDMAXS57

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

FYI: Max Boost was published in the 70's or early 80's before it was "phat" to turbocharge cars. I bought my copy around 1983 if my memory serves me right. I'll look for my copy and let you know the exact publishing date.
It is the authoritative guide for turbocharging knowledge. I even put the knowledge to good use building my Twin Turbo Stealth up. Now I can use his Supercharger book for my GTS <lol>
:usa:

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Yep... Old school book, but they keep republishing it. Thankfully, the physics haven't changed any, so the data's all good :) 25 now.

Shoot, I wish I was 14. I act it if that counts for anything.

Mike

Ron,

You are always 2 steps ahead of me !! Glad you also enjoyed the book. AT least I can say I SC before you.. lol.

Fletcher,

When you were 11 huh ? what are you 14 now ? Maybe the Max Boost book is older then the SC one, but SC is only 3 years old. lol, im sure your kidding, but what is the publish data of the Max boost book ?

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

lol, me too Fletcher !!

So wow, they did the "Supercharged!" YEARS later then Turbo Charged. Suprising. But sure physics dont change, but technology sure does. Just curious if they are incorportation new technology sections every time they republish the book.

I might go get a copy of the Turbo Book for fun. But it will be a very long time before I ever would ever really need it.

Thanks.

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I AM PUBLISHED !!!

So not only did I communicate my sincere enjoyment with this book to you folks, but also with the Author.

Low and behold, they used my testimonal on their corporate websight for the books publisher.

(They emailed me this morning asking if it was ok, and in less then 2 hours, it was up for the world to SEE...)

lol, just kind of cool, thought I would share it.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/gallery.htm?code=gsup&seqnum=16

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supercharged

I just ran into this book.
It's really great. Very well detailled.
A must for all tuners ...

ChipH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Supercharged

I live in San Antonio, and have done busines with Corky Bell for years. Oddly enough, my Viper is still NA, but Corky has designed two or three turbo systems for my drag Mustangs over the last ten or so years. He is building a bunch of intercoolers, Bell Intercoolers, and business is booming. He's the kind of person that if you ask if a cold air kit is worth power, he'll whip out a page of math, based on air temps, horsepower estimates and everything in between to give you an answer. And, he can do this with nearly anything. Although he focuses on components (parts for Flying Miata, ProCharger, etc) he has done complete turbo, fuel, tuning systems in the past.

He lets me store my transporter on his property, and can fabricate nearly anything. Perhaps some of you are interested in discussing his twin turbo Cobra replica, which he plans on producing in limited numbers, or an intercooler for some application you may have. Or, maybe a rising rate fuel pressure regulator...he makes all of that. Great guy!

ChipH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Supercharged

I live in San Antonio, and have done busines with Corky Bell for years. Oddly enough, my Viper is still NA, but Corky has designed two or three turbo systems for my 1800 hp+ drag Mustangs over the last ten or so years. He is building a bunch of intercoolers, Bell Intercoolers, and business is booming. He's the kind of person that if you ask if a cold air kit is worth power, he'll whip out a page of math, based on air temps, horsepower estimates and everything in between to give you an answer. And, he can do this with nearly anything. Although he focuses on components (parts for Flying Miata, ProCharger, etc) he has done complete turbo, fuel, tuning systems in the past.

He lets me store my transporter on his property, and can fabricate nearly anything. Perhaps some of you are interested in discussing his twin turbo Cobra replica, which he plans on producing in limited numbers, or an intercooler for some application you may have. Or, maybe a rising rate fuel pressure regulator...he makes all of that. Great guy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang