Supercharging Gen1: DC Performance or Roe?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it's winter time mod season, or nearly enough so... With approval from the household finance committee (and the sale of a few items; buy my parts!), I'm going to be putting on a supercharger this winter.
Arrow rebuilt my motor last year (~9k miles ago), so it should be fresh and ready to go. I have a minor concern that there might be cast pistons in there (I think I read in some previous post that Arrow was no longer using forged pistons); I plan to check this with Arrow as soon as I can determine their contact info. My motor is pretty much stock except for a set of ****** headers and Roe cats (I'm running some Dynomax bullet mufflers). I may do a set of rockers at some point down the road, and I also have a nitrous setup sitting on the bench (also pending the piston issue). Other than boost changes, I'm not planning any other engine mods.
I'm aware of kits from Roe Racing and DC Performance; are there any others? It seems that the power output for both kits are similar, and so is the pricing. Both also claim to be DIY-friendly. The Roe has been out for about a year, but I think the DC kit has been out for the GenII for some time as well. It's a very close toss up for me....
Now, the Roe fits my mental conception of what a supercharger should look like; I grew up with images of a 6-71 sticking out of a hole in the hood. It also looks to be easily reversible (the DC kit requires drilling the oil pan, etc.) and pretty self-contained. I'm kind of partial to it. But in speaking with my local Viper guru, it seems he's had a bit better luck with the DC kits. It seems there's some issue with tuning the Vec2 (some issue about the Vec2 "forgetting" its programming), and I have spoken with/witnessed a Gen2 with some running issues that only gets resolved by unplugging the computer semi-regularly (i.e I've watched the backfiring, and know that the owner carries around enough tools to unplug/reset the computer each time it goes wonky on a run). Is this a common issue with the Roe, or is it a Gen2 specific issue, or???? I don't know...
I don't know that the DC kit has similar issues, but my guru tells me that he's got a few very strong running DC-equipped Gen2's going. I like that the intercooler is all thought out (no worries about running out of water/****), and that there is full replacement fuel system rather than the voltage booster approach. It's basically a toss-up, so I'm looking for reasons to lean over one side of the fence or the other.
I'm also curious about the actual "do-it-yourself"-ness of the kits. I was able to get install instructions for both kits, and other than installing the crank-pinning kit (is this something that one can easily screw up by drilling the hole crooked or something? (I believe a drill bit stop collar would prevent drilling too deep into the crank). Is it possible reasonably torque the bolt to 250lb. ft. without special tools?), they both look straightforward. Although I have the ability to cut/splice wiring, cutting the engine harness makes me cringe as well. Ideally, I'd like to put the kit in myself, and have it dyno-tuned/dialled in by the shop, but I don't know shops are really amenable to that sort of thing (i.e. if we didn't install it, we're not touching it), plus my guru quoted me a pretty fair price. I just like the brag factor of saying I put it in myself.
Any opinions or first-hand experience would be greatly appreciated!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had two Roe blowers and both have performed without issue. The reason I would recommend the Roe is Sean himself. You will not find a more accessible and helpful tuner out there who stands behind his products. I didn't buy either of my blowers directly from Sean yet he has continued to answer any and all questions I have had. I also like the low end grunt you get from the twin screw over the centrifugal.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious too, since its going to be either blower or hairdryers...
And thats a Gen 1.

I have 410HP/478TQ and looking for 550-600HP.
Intent is to use NX too, maybe just a small 50 or 100 shot.
Any more info?

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget that DLM supercharges more Vipers than anyone in the tuning biz.
I've had mine for several years without a single problem and that's how it should be with a kit. Doug is excellent when it comes to helping customers and he has a kit for every Viper....He has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Gen I cars also

Cheers

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious too, since its going to be either blower or hairdryers...
And thats a Gen 1.

I have 410HP/478TQ and looking for 550-600HP.
Intent is to use NX too, maybe just a small 50 or 100 shot.
Any more info?
Wiht turbo's you dont need that laughing gas Lauri

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: Talk about really confusing a guy when he thought he was down to two choices. After messing around with techs that don't know all of the systems completely, I now have my Sean Roe setup car down at DC Motorsports this week getting him to fine tune in the Water/**** kit. I know all of these tuners have great reputations and their products speak for themselves, but I think it boils down to who can service your car properly, if it needs custom tuning, and how far away is that person. I'm having to pay $800 just for the round trip trailer ride to DC Motorsports, and he is only 375 miles away. So now that most of the systems have been on the market for over a year or so, and definitely all put more air through your engine, go with the one your local tech definitely knows how to tune. If he knows both then go with the one you think looks better on your car, unless you are out for the one that puts out the most horsepower, then looks should not be important. I am definitely more of a poser, so I like the looks of the polished Sean Roe setup.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are considering DC Performance, I would talk to the man himself, Dan Cragin. He has installed lots of Paxtons, and also works with Roe. He can talk with you, and determine which system is the best.

If it was me, I would actually take my car to DC, have them install and Dyno tune it, and remove most of the hassle factors of finger pointing if something goes wrong. Having one person install the system (you) and another tune it (DC), could be a recipe for later issues.

I was like you. I liked the terrific look of the Roe, but decided on the softer power ramp up of the Paxton. A main issue for me was the CARB emissions certifications that came with the Paxton. I spoke to Sean Roe at VOI, and came away feeling he also really had a well thought out system, but he was a long way away from me.

Best of luck with your decision. Both blowers make a huge difference in the excitement of driving a Viper. Pricing should be similar with both systems.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your post reads that you are a DIYer. Then Roe is the way to go.

Since S/Cing is a winter project it appears that you are not in a hurry. This is ideal...allow plenty of time and enjoy the experience.

The VEC2 program cards that are supplied with the kit will be adequate but street tuning or dyno tuning will extract the maximum performance.

The water methonal option will add even more performance but can be more challenging to tune.

Drilling the crank is not a problem using the proper drill, the supplied fixture keeps the bit straight.

Product support from Roe is fantastic.

Install a Wide Band A/F meter while your at it and wire it into the VEC2 for logging purposes.Provides peace of mind and will help with tuning.

The expression you get when you pop the hood and explain how you did it yourself is priceless. :2tu: Rick

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Roe was the only one out there with a Gen1 blower? If Paxton is coming out with one for the Gen1's, when will it be out? I am thinking about doing the same thing this winter to my car as well, if I don't sell it in the next 2 weeks.

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton Engineering has completed and tested their Supercharger for Gen I Snakes. My 93 Snake was used to build their first unit. The project was completed in mid August with both an inter-cooler and redesigned outside air inlet...that works and increases power. The total power increase is very close to the Paxton Gen II's

A posting was done by Dan Cragin at D.C. Performance about 10 days ago on the new Paxton Supercharger for Gen I's. The posting is under " New Products and Supplier Specials". The posting is still on Page 1. Dan worked directly with Paxton on the Gen I project.

I would agree with a previous post on two issues. Both Roe and Paxton are very good solid and dependable units. However, it's critical to locate a Tuner who knows every aspect of the system for proper installation, tuning and max power, depending on what boost you want.

If you are looking for a Tuner in S. California, look no further...Dan is the Man. 5 Diamond Rating!!!

As for my 93 Snake, I have not had one single problem or issue since the unit was installed. I have put on about 2,000 hard driven miles on the Snake since the installation.

For additional updates and more information, Go to "New Products and Supplier Specials" & look for "Gen I Supercharger kits know available", PAGE 1.

Best of everything to those Viper Owners leaning toward Supercharging...Best thing since slice bread...No Fear of the 2006 Corvette Z06 or Ford GT or....

Built 2 Go

Built 2 Go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

Wow....very impressive numbers for a Gen I. I am assuming that there has been a little work done on the engine besides Supercharging to reach the 689 rwhp? Very nice numbers (803rwhp) after the Heads were done.

Again...very impressive. Can you post your Dyno sheet?

Built 2 Go

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21