Swapping Wheels and Wheel Stuck on Hub--How to Remove?

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I would check with the experts!

My '08 has 2 sets of wheels and tires and I am swapping now to break in some other tires. Using just a racing jack I am going one corner at a time. I started on the Driver's front and once I had removed all lugs with the wheel slightly lifted off the floor, I tried to remove the Wheel and Tire and it would not budge! Since I am only using a racing jack (no jackstands or lift) I do not want to whack it to hard!

I tried tapping gently with a rubber mallet but this had no immediate effect. Should I spray WD 40 or Silicone in on teh hub? (area where the wheel meets the Brake Rotor Hat)

Thanks for your thoughts!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I start by kicking the tire with a stiff shoe on. Then rotate it 180 and do it again and repeat. That isn't a lot of force if you are on level ground and are applying it in the same axis direction as the jack handle. (The jack is more likely to collapse if the car moves forward or bak than side to side if the jack is perpendicular to the car. IMHO)

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just sit down on the ground and kick the living hell out of the tire from one side to the other and BAM! She'll break lose. Trust me Im an expert :D

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are SMART! kicking it worked like a charm!

Thanks!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah thats the problem the P40's will do that. In fact one day you wont be able to rmeove them at all so your best bet here is to just trade my 5 spokes for the HRE's and since Im a nice guy I'll even pay shipping:2tu: :D
Im not sure Ive ever seen your car. Post a pic

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem with my HRE 895r 20". Kick the SH*T out of them and your good to go. Try not to hit the wheel tho! A little white lithium greese around that hub while its off helps. Not sure if its the BEST idea, but I have been doing it for ahwile with no problems.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of the problem (I think) is the galvanic reaction between the two different metals. Did you notice any significant corrosion on the wheels where they contact the hub and rotor? The high-temp grease idea is probably a good one - it'll slow down the reaction and keep things from sticking. I use a light coat of anti-seize and that seems to work, too.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No corrosion on the HRE P40 Monoblocks--solid aluminum.

The axle hub was a bit rusted, as were some other bolts, etc. While it may not be optimal, I used WD 40 on all affected parts, and then sprayed on silicone to help keep things lubricated. I did not have any grease, etc. When I reinstall the HREs in a month or so, I will check everything out again and do a more complete job of removing any signs of corrision, etc.

Last edited:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, they could have done a better job and black-painted the center part of the rotors. Keep in mind that thinner lubricants can work their way out onto the disc pad area (not good!!), since the spinning tends to drive everything outward. I would not leave any excess oils on the wheel mounting pad of the rotor...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960