Sway Bar Question

RIch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard that the early Vipers were very neutral handling (slight oversteer) when pushed to the limit. I also hear that the 96 and newer Vipers have a tendency to understeer (push) at the limit. Has anyone had experience with sway bar changes that cured the understeer tendencies of a 96 GTS?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understeer ?? hmmm.. my car does nothing but OVERsteer. I have an acr, but I have a feeling that most vipers oversteer (meaning the rear will come around on them before the front stops pulling into the turn). Understeer I think would be a better situtation, you could at least always count on the rear staying where it should, instead of coming around to say hi.

Jon

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a road course, the Gen II's at least tend to understeer (push) when cornering. You can certainly use the throttle to bring the rear around if you want but I prefer a car more under control.

Woodhouse (and others I presume) sell an adjustable front sway bar which allows you to soften the front a little to help with this.

I have one...with all the suspension changes I've made though I can't tell the contribution from this one mod but car corners much better now.