TA Trackday

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your take on that review. The stock front spring rates on all the Gen V's are certainly a lot softer than the range you are used to, which if memory serves, are SRT 200#f, GTS 220# and T/A 240#, with rears being approximately double those. If my car gets completed and shipped early enough in April I should be able to register it for a Mosport open lapping day soon after and provide some first-time Viper driver's feedback. Should be a tale of fear!

Bruce

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Will be fun to hear from you on this.

On the spring rates, not sure about Gen 5 but most OE springs are variable rate springs which get progressively stiffer while the aftermarket Eibachs that I'm referring to are fixed rate springs, so a good comparison is difficult.

One exception to this was the 2001 GTS 2001 ACR that I owned. It came OE with 800 lb front and 1100 lb rear fixed spring rates.

Dan

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your take on that review. The stock front spring rates on all the Gen V's are certainly a lot softer than the range you are used to, which if memory serves, are SRT 200#f, GTS 220# and T/A 240#, with rears being approximately double those. If my car gets completed and shipped early enough in April I should be able to register it for a Mosport open lapping day soon after and provide some first-time Viper driver's feedback. Should be a tale of fear!

Bruce

Or a tale of Nirvana! Bruce, of all the TA reviews I am most looking forward to your impressions of the TA and how it compares to your other track cars.

As for me, I'm living the dream. I'm on the road now, driving to Spring Mountain for a two day private lesson in the Viper. Then my lady flies in for three days in Vegas. The Viper's the ideal car for this, or at least for me.

Finally a thread that I enjoy, keep those track stories coming boys! :D

OP
OP
Z

zim32

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or a tale of Nirvana! Bruce, of all the TA reviews I am most looking forward to your impressions of the TA and how it compares to your other track cars.

As for me, I'm living the dream. I'm on the road now, driving to Spring Mountain for a two day private lesson in the Viper. Then my lady flies in for three days in Vegas. The Viper's the ideal car for this, or at least for me.

Looking forward to some info on your 2 day private lesson at Spring Mountain...would definitely consider that..

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Todd...and agreed on this thread. I've found serious track enthusiasts tend to be a rather specific breed of enthusiast, and are all too rare on some forums. It would be great if this thread could advance the community's knowledge base for tracking the Gen V. I'll be tracking it first at my home track (Mosport) where I have years of experience to help me focus on the car's dynamics. It's a high speed and dangerous track, but there are a couple of corners that you can more safely push to experience it at the limits. Then I'm back to Virginia International in June, and that's got a few safe areas to experiment. I'm hoping to get a track day in the rain to help get a better feel for the car. Looking forward to peeling away new layers of performance over a period of years! They told me it was going to start down the line last Friday...fingers crossed!

Bruce

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of debating whether to swap out the TA's OEM shocks for MCS. Based on Dan's advise 5 or so years ago, I went with 500#/800# springs in my ACR and loved the new found balance of the car. Since I do mostly lower speed tracks and autox, 500/800 was perfect for me. With less downforce of the TA, I'm thinking of going maybe 450/700? BTW the TA totally stock rides a little worse than my ACR on 500/800 and Moton Club Sports. I read somewhere rear springs on the TA is 600#, but can't remember the front rate but it should be more than 240#. I think.
BTW Dan, we miss you and Cathy out here in CA...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Venom V,

While at Spring Mountain, see if you can get in touch with Michael von Quilich. He's a member there, lives locally and most will know him. Michael is a good friend, a Viper guy and Viper racer. He took first place in his class last year in his Viper with SCCA. He may still hold the track record at SM in the Viper class. If he's around, he can certainly show you a thing or two.

Enjoy,

Dan

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of debating whether to swap out the TA's OEM shocks for MCS. Based on Dan's advise 5 or so years ago, I went with 500#/800# springs in my ACR and loved the new found balance of the car. Since I do mostly lower speed tracks and autox, 500/800 was perfect for me. With less downforce of the TA, I'm thinking of going maybe 450/700? BTW the TA totally stock rides a little worse than my ACR on 500/800 and Moton Club Sports. I read somewhere rear springs on the TA is 600#, but can't remember the front rate but it should be more than 240#. I think.
BTW Dan, we miss you and Cathy out here in CA...

I can't recall if you've posted any TA track feedback before, but if you have a link would be appreciated.

The TA rates are 240#f and 600#r, with the SRT 200/500 and GTS 220/550 according to this Chrysler Media info...http://www.rssportscars.com/wsfiles/specs/2014_SRT_ViperGTS_SP.pdf

I would have assumed those are fixed rates quoted, but that's an interesting question. I do know that "performance" spring kits like the Eibach ProKit are sometimes progressive rates.

Also, I see there will be a '13 GTS in this years One Lap of America series joining last year's 3rd place finishing 2008 Viper, and also an '09 ACR. Would like to know more about those cars and owners if anyone has details. First events May 4th! http://www.onelapofamerica.com/currentEvent/Schedule.do?eventId=33

Bruce

OP
OP
Z

zim32

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad you got it out there zim, and perfect weather for those tires. In my Gen V GTS, I ran about 33 to 34 hot front, 34 to 35 hot rear on my Sport Cups. Not sure if that's the right pressure, as I struggled to get the Sport Cups to stick in cold weather at Buttonwillow.

I would mimic your experience about the car moving around a bit upon threshold braking, but it seems to stick well if you drive through it.

I drove at Buttonwillow when Russ piloted a Comp Coupe to a 1:46, even with a restrictor plate in place! Russ is quite a driver and very knowledgeable. I also saw his fab work, he did a custom roll bar in Lee W's Gen III. Beautifully integreated under the headliner, I was impressed. If you have any pics of your roll bar and harness set up, please post it.

Todd

Roll Bar and harness...done by Ross Murray
You must be registered for see images attach

Having problems loading pictures...will try again later...

Last edited:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom V,

While at Spring Mountain, see if you can get in touch with Michael von Quilich. He's a member there, lives locally and most will know him. Michael is a good friend, a Viper guy and Viper racer. He took first place in his class last year in his Viper with SCCA. He may still hold the track record at SM in the Viper class. If he's around, he can certainly show you a thing or two.

Enjoy,

Dan

Dan,

Not only did I meet Michael but he went out of his way to help me. I felt a vibration during the first day, consensus was warped rotors (my fronts were old, checking and perhaps warped. Jon B wasn't able to get FedEx AM delivery at Spring Mountain because it's a rural area, so he called Michael and asked for help. Michael happened to have a new set, he runs the same StopTech rotors in the rear of one of his Vipers. So he pulled the rotors off of the hats and dropped them at Spring Mountain while I was out on the track! Jon B and Michael von Quilich are stand up guys, just exceptional. Michael then followed up after to make sure it all worked out. It's funny how we will see bickering among Viper owners on the forums, but the track rats tend to be stand up guys, sticking together helping eachother out. Awesome guy, I enjoyed talking with him. He said he enjoyed visiting with you in Texas as well.

Todd

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

You've been silent for too long! It would be great to hear about your TA track experience over the summer, modifications that you've made or are considering, whether you got your brake pedal up for better heel and toe (still an issue for me), ect. I saw your comment about the TA being 5 sec/lap quicker than your '11 GT3 RS, which hopefully means I can look forward to shaving off at least another couple with more seat time!

Like to hear from the other quality track rats in this thread also. We need more discussion about serious performance in this forum.

Bruce