temperature sending unit replacement questions

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is this much of a job or any tricks to know? it appears that you just unplug the wires and it just screws in and out. is this pretty straight forward or is there more to it?:dunno:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Drain coolant so that it is below level of sensor. Disconnect electrical plug. Replace sensor (torque to 27 N-m...which is 20 lb-ft). Attach electrical plug, and refill cooling system (purge air)...and DO NOT get coolant on pulleys or serpentine belt!!

OP
OP
W

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drain coolant so that it is below level of sensor. Disconnect electrical plug. Replace sensor (torque to 27 N-m...which is 20 lb-ft). Attach electrical plug, and refill cooling system (purge air)...and DO NOT get coolant on pulleys or serpentine belt!!

i thought the sensor is in the back of the engine. also if it matters its on a gen 1.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes, for a Gen I, it's in the rear of the engine, on the passenger side by the T-stat housing...same procedure & torque, just start by removing cowl, finish by replacing it...trying to keep coolant off of coil packs/wires.

OP
OP
W

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the input. i may give it a try myself. i was hoping to have Tator do it along with a few other things but i am not sure if he is working on cars right now with all thats going on.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you decide to ry this fix, be very careful when raising the plastic covers at the base of the wiper arms as they break easily...only repair is whole new arm($$$).

If you don't have a very small wheel puller, go to local auto parts store any get a cheap, $2.00 battery terminal puller to lift off the arm...minding the washer hoses.

Once this is done, cowl can be moved aside.

Watch for windshield wedges...they are often loose.

Remember to set the wiper arms correctly...something like 22mm above the installed cowl on the right side, and 40 mm on the left.

If you are LUCKY enough to live near Chuck Tator...GO THERE!!!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have a very small wheel puller, go to local auto parts store any get a cheap, $2.00 battery terminal puller to lift off the arm...minding the washer hoses.

Watch for windshield wedges...they are often loose.

I actually bought a wiper arm puller from toolsource dot com. A few more dollars than 2, but it works like a champ.

And on those windshield wedges... Are those just for initial glass installation or are the supposed to stay there forever?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang