Temporary high(1500) idle speeds

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS often pauses at 1500 RPM for about 20-30 seconds when decelerating from 2000+ RPM before going back to a normal idle. This gets obnoxious when trying to coast down while waiting for someone to get out of the left lane because it only happens around 20-30% of the time, forcing me to hit the brakes if they decide to take their time (common in Northern CA where the slow lane is often the only one w/o traffic)

The car has modified headers, cats, exhaust, intake and a Hennessey computer. Would a different ECU (or something else) fix this?

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 GTS and mine has done the same (and still does occasiionally). The first time it was intake manifold gaskets. Now, it happens very ocassionally. I have been told by some very informed folk on htis board that it is probably idle control motor. Others (Hennessey) have a fix where they lessen the inner diameter of the hose leading to the idle control motor and that does the trick. Have a tech check the intake manifold gaskets first as the original material was apparently defective.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RockyTop:
Others (Hennessey) have a fix where they lessen the inner diameter of the hose leading to the idle control motor and that does the trick. Have a tech check the intake manifold gaskets first as the original material was apparently defective.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen the "Hennessey Fix" work perfectly for the problem you describe........

Reaction score
Todd, check the battery condition, and idle speed motor and intake gasket as stated before. If you restrict the air line to the idle speed motor (ie: the Hennessey fix), be prepared for extremely low cold engine idle as a result. If all the other things check out, you might try "flashing" the computer.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The early '96 GTS's required a reflash to return to idle in two steps. Sometimes this takes a few seconds to complete the cycle. This was done for emissions reasons. I think the evap canister may have been dumping too much vapor into the manifold when the throttle snapped shut. I don't know if the '97s have the same strategy programmed into the JTEC controller or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456