Test Day Le Mans 2013

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pic from test day at Le Mans. I'll post more as they come in.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Motorsport.com

Circuit de la Sarthe. The name alone is synonymous with the history and tradition that makes the 24 Hours of Le Mans the world’s most renowned sports car race.

It’s a place where legends are made, and for many who will turn their first laps on the 8.469-mile circuit in France this weekend, a place where dreams are realized.

A total of 61 teams – including six teams and 33 drivers from the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón and GRAND-AM Road Racing – will embark on the historic course Sunday for “Test Day”, the dress rehearsal for the 90th anniversary running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The one-day test provides teams their only opportunities to practice at the circuit outside of the June 22-23 race weekend. It also is mandated for rookie Le Mans competitors. “The reality is starting to set in that I’m going to get to do the race for the first time,” said SRT Viper driver Jonathan Bomarito. “As a race car driver, it’s one of those races that’s at the top of everybody’s list.” Bomarito has years of experience in GRAND-AM and has already won another premier endurance race – the Rolex 24 At Daytona – but at Le Mans he is still considered a rookie.

Teams and drivers who have never raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans must participate and complete a minimum of 10 laps at the test; so must those drivers not on the list of confirmed drivers automatically allowed to take part in official practice. New cars – Lotus and Viper – must participate in the test with at least one entry.
“The first priority is to satisfy that requirement,” said Tommy Kendall, who will share driving duties with Bomarito and rookie Kuno Wittmer and competes in select ALMS events.

“The first part of the test with our (No.) 93 car will focus on everybody getting their minimum 10 laps in. It’s kind of like Indianapolis 500 rookie orientation. We’ve got to get that out of the way first and then start working on tuning the car.” For those of who have previously competed at Le Mans, Test Day is still a learning – or re-learning – experience.

Circuit de la Sarthe is one of the longest – and fastest – racing circuits in the world. Translation: it’s easy to get lost. To soften the learning curve, Kendall says drivers rely on simulators for re-acclimation to the course.
“Without the simulator you [actually] could [get lost],” he said. “It’s unlike any other place, it’s so fast. The medium-speed corners are faster than regular medium-speed corners and high-speed corners are faster than regular high-speed corners … the straights are longer than normal straights.”

In addition to the 56 entries for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, FIA World Endurance Championship teams that were not invited to compete in the race can also participate in the test. Prototypes belonging to the Formula Le Mans category, which does not compete at Le Mans, are also eligible.

The race will showcase a number of top drivers and teams that will compete in next year’s unified sports car series in North America. To kick off the event, the man heading the board of directors guiding United SportsCar Racing, GRAND-AM founder Jim France, will wave the French flag on the afternoon of June 22 to start the race.
“It all comes back to the history of motorsports and sports car racing; Le Mans is the pinnacle,” said Bomarito. “When you look at all the winners and manufacturer support over the years, it’s just incredible.
“Now, to be a part of that and having your name in those record books is very special.”

Live television coverage of the 90th Anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans will air on SPEED beginning at 8:30 a.m. ET on Saturday, June 22.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Paddocktalk.com

2013 Le Mans 24: Ryan Dalziel: What Racing At Le Mans Means To Me

The SRT Viper GTS-R is returning to competition in the world’s oldest active sports car endurance race – the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The event, first run in 1923, is set for June 22-23.

This is the third in a series of comments from the six drivers that will pilot the two SRT Viper GTS-Rs in the prestigious event. Today, Ryan Dalziel, who will team with Marc Goossens and Dominik Farnbacher in the No. 53 SRT Viper GTS-R for the 24-hour race, explains what racing at Le Mans means to him.

“Racing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans is incredible. I’ve been twice and I’ve experienced kind of the highs and lows. The first year there, I didn’t even get to start the race; the second time, I won the race. I can’t say either time was better than the previous one. It’s just an amazing place, an electric atmosphere, something I had never experienced in any racing paddock.

“To me, it reminded me more of going to some of the world championship soccer matches in Europe, you know, an atmosphere where you can’t hear yourself think. You can hear the crowds at Le Mans over the noise of the engines. It’s just an amazing place. I said after the first time there in 2010 that it’s my goal every year to make sure I go back.”

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twitter pics:

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough day at the office

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a beautiful sight. :)

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, brings a tear to my eyes. The Chrysler Vipers back at LeMans.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like a long time ago that a GT car had a chance for an overall win at this race...now even the Viper is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Did SRT have any T-shirts made up for the event? Or are they waiting to print up the LeMans 2013 'Winner' shirts? How about something like "1000 laps to rule them all.." Dayton, get on it!!!

It looks like they are pushing the "SRT" brand name a lot more than "Viper"....I don't see the name of the car anywhere, even on the car! I guess they are following Ferrari's footsteps...

Are there any team orders about beating Ferrari? Do they teams hang out together?

That's a modern race team...sitting around in a booth with computers! Do those guys ever get dirty? LOL

Last edited:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see these pics, thanks for sharing!

Viper's return to GT has made me a new fan of the sportscar series; I honestly paid only mild attention before. And now, with the spectacle of LeMans ahead... it's kinda like I have a new Super Bowl-level event to enjoy.

And I have a couple of snakes in the race :2tu:

Rich

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subscribing. Its great to follow on twitter too - lots of pictures posted by the drivers and others.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to admit that I'm just now noticing this, but why did the #91 have to get rebadged as the #53?

The number #91 was taken by another car in the ACO sanctioned events. The #53 will get its 91 number back once it returns back to the U.S. for the rest of the ALMS.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They sure look good. Let's hope they are both able to finish the race. That 24hr stuff can be brutal. Just finishing is a win in itself.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to admit that I'm just now noticing this, but why did the #91 have to get rebadged as the #53?

The number #91 was taken by another car in the ACO sanctioned events. The #53 will get its 91 number back once it returns back to the U.S. for the rest of the ALMS.

#53 was also an old GTS-R number too!

Randall you missed out on this one Ryan shot in the pits. This one will probably be the best shot of the new car to date.

--RS

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#53 was also an old GTS-R number too!

Randall you missed out on this one Ryan shot in the pits. This one will probably be the best shot of the new car to date.

--RS

Damn!!! I wouldn't want to be caught in a dark alley with that snake staring me down. Bad to the bone. Team Viper, kick ass.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From www.drivesrt.com :

Veteran drivers are set to pilot the No. 53 SRT[SUP]®[/SUP] Viper GTS-R at Le Mans.

You must be registered for see images
Posted on Jun 10, 2013

In racing, experience is an intangible that can be just as important as having lots of horsepower and the right set-up. While the SRT[SUP]®[/SUP] Motorsports team will be making its first start in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in well over a decade — since 2000 to be exact — one of the drivers of the No. 53 SRT Viper GTS-R brings a wealth of Le Mans knowledge into the event. Enter Marc Goossens, 11-time 24 Hours of Le Mans starter.
The veteran from Belgium will be paired with five-time Le Mans starter Dominik Farnbacher from Germany, who he has teamed with in each of the first three American Le Mans Series (ALMS) races this year, including at Long Beach where they earned a podium finish in the GT class. And joining the duo for the 24 Hours of Le Mans will be Ryan Dalziel from Scotland, who won at Le Mans last year in just his second start in the marathon event.

Goossens went to Le Mans for the first of his 11 starts in 1996. He has been able to share his Le Mans experience with the other two drivers of the No. 53 SRT Viper GTS-R, and with his three teammates who will pilot the No. 93 GTS-R. Goossens stresses the importance of being physically and mentally prepared Le Mans. That build-up began well before the current racing season started for the veteran driver.
“Preparing for such a big race isn’t a matter of days before, it is months of preparation,” said Goossens. “Under guidance of my trainer, I keep working out and really watch my nutrition, so that I feel fit and fresh leading up to the 24-hour race. During the race, I make sure to replace all lost fluids and take in all reserves. I also try to rest as much as possible during the race when I am not in the car, and at the same time, getting a deep sports massage helps to recover before the next stint as well.”

Goossens, who is affectionately known in the paddock as “The Goose,” earned a career-best second-place finish in class in 1997 at Le Mans in the LMP class. That year he was fourth overall in the 49-car field. He has competed in both Prototype and GT cars at Le Mans, with his most recent start in 2011 coming in the LM GTE Pro, the same class that the pair of SRT Viper GTS-Rs will race in this year. In his career at Le Mans, Goossens has recorded three top-10 finishes in class, with two of those being overall top-10 showings.
“It’s an honor to be representing SRT and Viper at Le Mans,” he said. “Even though it will be my 12th start, I’m sure I will still get goosebumps on the first lap. Winning is always the ambition, but it is a very long race and many things can go wrong. If a win comes around the corner that would certainly shine greatly on my list of career achievements.”

Farnbacher, who will be making his sixth start in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, grew up watching the race on television. He vividly remembers the success of the first generation of the Viper GTS-R (1996-2000) in the event and their red and white livery. The German, who has four-career ALMS wins, raced in the LM GTE Pro class last season, finishing second in class.

“Le Mans is a great challenge for man and machine,” said Farnbacher. “To participate at an event which is the oldest and most famous endurance race in the world gives me goosebumps. The atmosphere at the start and the finish is just stunning and something you really need to see in person to believe. The greatest feeling is when you are on top of that podium overlooking this crowd of thousands of people. For me it’s paradise on earth.”
Farnbacher has earned two in class podium finishes at Le Mans, with the first of those coming in his maiden voyage to Circuit de la Sarthe in 2006 in GT2. He also finished in the runner-up spot last year in the LM GTE Pro class. Farnbacher has raced at Le Mans each of the last four years in three different classes. The affable and often-eccentric German has a pair of class wins in his career in 24-hour endurance races, at Daytona in 2005 and in the 24 Hours of Nürburgring in 2011.
To gear up for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 28-year-old has been running quite a bit and training his core muscles. One benefit the SRT Motorsports team will have is an at-track massage therapist to work with the drivers between stints. The team utilized a massage therapist at the season opening 12 Hours of Sebring, which has been the longest event they have contested this year.

“The toughest part is to stay focused and concentrate throughout the night, and not to make any mistakes during your night stint,” he explained. “The last hours of the race, especially if you are still fighting for positions, can be very challenging as your body is sore, especially your back, feet and neck. Mentally there is not really a lot you can do, other than getting relaxing massages and maybe listening to some music that helps you chill out.”

Dalziel made just his second start in the 24 Hours of Le Mans last season, but made the most of it, scoring a spot on the top of the podium with a victory in the LMP2 class. The team he was driving for finished seventh overall in the race with 56 cars taking the green flag. Along with his class win at Le Mans in 2012, the native of Scotland also was victorious in the 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans, along with claiming the FIA World Endurance Championship title.

“Winning at Le Mans is like nothing you can ever describe,” Dalziel said. “I honestly can remember it like yesterday and I think that will be with me forever. The only thing I think that can top winning Le Mans is winning it again. Standing on the podium at Le Mans is like no other atmosphere in racing.”
For Dalziel, part of his Le Mans routine is to eat every time he climbs out of the car following a driving stint. He will grab a quick bite and then get a massage, shower and take a nap. The 30-year-old tries to squeeze in two tothree naps (each a couple of hours in length) to stay fresh for the entire duration of the 24 hours. Last year, he drove an ironman-like 14 total hours in the 24 Hours of Le Mans en route to the LMP2 class win. He admits it’s hard to go to sleep while leading, because a driver worries they may wake up and be running second.
“Physically, it’s actually not the toughest race we do, but mentally without a doubt there is nothing like it,” explained Dalziel. “The speed difference between the different classes is huge at Le Mans and the Prototype cars take no prisoners, so we have to be very aware of not only our own race, but controlling the other teams racing around us. We train every time we get in the car for these ‘big’ events, but nothing prepares you more than getting in and doing your job.”
That job, which began months ago, will kick into high gear next week with practice and qualifying for the 24 Hours of Le Mans on Wednesday, June 19, and Thursday, June 20. The green flag will wave for Goossens, Farnbacher and Dalziel and their entire No. 53 SRT Viper GTS-R team on Saturday, June 22.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way Awesome!!:2tu:

We're eating our wheaties, got the coffee on standby and the Lazyboy's on full tilt ready to watch Team SRT run the 24 Hours..:usa:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im just working out how many bottles of Red wine I will need to get me through the 24 hrs :D Might have to throw in on 1 or 3 bottles of Champagne too! .........Its hard work being a spectator at these events :D

Better pack some Coffee too :D

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OP