Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those Sidewinder II wheels must really be good if they are using them on the GTS-R's at Lemans:2tu:

Thanks for posting the pictures.....it really makes me proud to support SRT and Viper:usa:

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Sidewinder II wheels must really be good if they are using them on the GTS-R's at Lemans:2tu:

Thanks for posting the pictures.....it really makes me proud to support SRT and Viper:usa:

Those wheels can take a beating.

This one Dominik busted up at Baltimore. I'm going to make it into an end table.
:D

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they post track times? How do you know how well the Vipers are doing, compared to the competition?

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they post track times? How do you know how well the Vipers are doing, compared to the competition?

Not yet. Practice and qualifying sessions will be on Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th. Hopefully I plan on being there both days.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not yet. Practice and qualifying sessions will be on Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th. Hopefully I plan on being there both days.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! I was at the ALMS Laguna Seca, the SRT Hospitality Suite and the Car Corral were awesome. Results could have been better, hopefully redemption at Le Mans. Go Team Viper.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.motorsport.com

The future comes to Le Mans: The Viper GTS-R strikes again
Back in 2000, the Viper GTS-R was the best sports car in the world. Last year in August, the Viper made its in return to the sportscar stage at the ALMS race in Mid-Ohio and now they are making their return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

(June 11, 2013) – The racing world as it related to GT-type racing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans looked quite different in 2000.
In those days, the top GT class was known as “GTS.” The Corvette Racing program – which now has seven victories at Le Mans, nine American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón manufacturer and team championships and eight ALMS driver championships – was still in its infancy, having just come online in 1999.
And standing atop the world were what were then known as “Chrysler” or “Dodge” Viper GTS-Rs – depending on where in the world they were racing. Fielded by Viper Team Oreca, Chrysler Viper GTS-Rs earned consecutive class victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1998, ’99 and 2000. The team also claimed an overall victory with its Dodge Viper GTS-R in the 2000 Rolex 24 At Daytona.
#53 Team Oreca Chrysler Viper GTSR: David Donohue, Ni Amorim, Anthony Beltoise, Le Mans 2000
Photo by: Jean-Philippe Legrand

But by 2001, the all-conquering Viper GTS-Rs had departed from the scene.

Last August, in the ALMS race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, the SRT Viper GTS-R returned to competition, with an eye toward returning to Le Mans this year. SRT Motorsports will field two entries in the 90th Anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans next week; the No. 53 SRT Viper GTS-R for co-drivers Marc Goossens, Dominik Farnbacher and Ryan Dalziel and the No. 91 SRT Viper GTS-R for Jonathan Bomarito, Kuno Wittmer and Tommy Kendall.
Flashing back to last summer, the Viper debuted to much fanfare at Mid-Ohio, albeit with some to-be-expected teething problems. In fact, the team struggled in all four of its races at the end of the 2012 ALMS season.
“It’s weird,” said Tommy Kendall, who drove the Viper in 2012 ALMS events and is doing the long-distance races this season. “At our first race, I had this whole timeline in my mind. But at Mid-Ohio, I said, ‘Oh, wow. We’re way further behind than I thought. We have further to go.’”
Most seasoned sports car racing observers agreed with Kendall. However, knowing the previous history of the Viper GTS-R program and the resources behind SRT Motorsports, those same observers also knew that, sooner or later, the Viper GTS-R would find its way back to the top.
If the early portion of the 2013 American Le Mans Series is any indication, it’s looking like it may be sooner.
At the season-opening Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring in March, Farnbacher, Goossens and Dalziel were top contenders in the GT class for the first two-thirds of the race in the No. 91 Viper GTS-R before mechanical gremlins set them back to an eventual fifth-place result.
In Round 2 at the Tequila Patrón American Le Mans Series at Long Beach in April, Farnbacher put the No. 91 on the pole position and Bomarito qualified the No. 93 machine third in the GT class. The next day, Farnbacher and Goossens gave the new program its first podium result with a third-place run.
How did fortunes change so quickly?
“Over the winter, we had our heads down and were busting our tails,” Kendall said. “We knew we’d made some big gains, but in the back of your mind, you’re thinking, ‘The other teams are making similar gains.’ To have it confirmed that we had actually closed the gap was really, really exciting for everyone.”
Make no mistake, everybody associated with SRT Motorsports knows that there is still much work to be done to get where they ultimately want to be. But – just like Corvette Racing in 1999 and 2000 – it’s still early days for the SRT Viper GTS-R program.
“This year, your goal was just to get to Le Mans,” said Beth Paretta, marketing director for SRT Motorsports. “Every step, you just kind of keep moving your own goalposts for the team. At the end of last year, the goal was to just get a couple races under our belt. The goal for the winter was to work on improving the car. Then, the goal was to get invited. Here we are now on the eve, and really our goal is to finish. If we can finish with both cars, that would be great.”
Everybody on the team shares the same goal. After all, as the adage goes in racing, ‘To finish first, you must first finish.’ But Kendall, for one, believes that the team has a shot to potentially do more than that.
“I’d say we’re a little bit of a longer shot, but I think we definitely have the ability to contend,” Kendall said. “In terms of what’s it going to take? Because there are going to be teams that make no mistakes or just very small ones, speed is going to be important. I think that’s something that shows up more at Le Mans than any of the other endurance races.”
So speed is obviously one very important component to success. What else?
#93 SRT Motorsports Viper SRT GTS-R: Jonathan Bomarito, Tommy Kendall, Kuno Wittmer, Marc Goossens
Photo by: Eric Gilbert

“There are so many unforeseen circumstances,” Paretta said. “That’s why everybody says finishing is such a big deal, because so much can go wrong. Do we have a team that could get on the podium? Absolutely. Do we have a car that could? Probably, not knowing the full GT field and not knowing how they’re all running. I think the ingredients are all there but there’s a lot of luck involved too. Things have to fall your way.” Luck is something often talked about in racing, but can be hard to quantify. SRT Motorsports Lead Engineer Matt Bejnarowicz takes a crack at it.
“One of my old bosses used to quote his old boss, Carroll Shelby, often,” he said. “He used to say in racing, you don’t necessarily need good luck, but you need an absence of bad luck. I’d say first and foremost, we need our fair share of this.”
There you have it. Speed and no bad luck are two keys to success at Le Mans, but what about the competition?
The team knows it will face stiff competition at Le Mans in the GTE Pro class, where every manufacturer sends its very best drivers, personnel and equipment in an all-out effort to win. But they also know that the competition they face all season in the ALMS GT class is very stout and is good preparation for Le Mans.
“The ALMS teams have shown us that the fastest lap times are not the only factor in winning sports car races,” said Bejnarowicz. “You need to be at the top of your game everywhere – race strategy, pit stops and fuel conservation just to name a few. The GT class is the toughest in the world because of the teams preparing the best sports cars in the world.”
Back in 2000, the Viper GTS-R was the best sports car in the world. It may only be a matter of time before it is again.
Live television coverage of the 90th Anniversary 24 Hours of Le Mans will air on SPEED beginning at 8:30 a.m. ET on Saturday, June 22.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome photos of the 700hp 2014 ACR! :usa:

What do ALMS and LeMans do to handicap the Viper Motor? Air and Fuel restrictors? Weight? Limitation of HP to ???

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome photos of the 700hp 2014 ACR! :usa:

What to ALMS and LeMans do to handicap the Viper Motor? Air and Fuel restrictors? Weight? Limitation of HP to ???

Thanks!

See those little trumpets in the front? They magically turn a Gen V's performance into the performance of my Gen 1. They put a nice choke hold on the V10.

********! :D

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 24 will also be a thorough test of reliability and fine tuning for the Sept. COTA race in Austin. Got tix and hotel for that one !! Very nice pix guys...

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me greedy, but I'm not satisfied with a goal of "both cars finishing". At Seca, they said they'd be happy with 5th, because getting the cars to LeMans intact was most important. Managing expectations is one thing, but I'd like to hear a little more chest-thumping.

These are some really talented drivers on our team, and I doubt any of them would agree to being happy to just finish...

Rich

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am GREEDY. I won't be happy until they kick everybody's a**. Get rid of those d**m trumpets and let the Viper breath!! Then see what happens! I know what the are trying to do, it is just frustrating.
Go SRT and drivers. I will be support you!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad those trumpets could not magically break away part way through the race and then let the beast FEED!

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed will be airing it for all 24 hours without commercials, right?

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed will be airing it for all 24 hours without commercials, right?

Don't call it Speed, it's Fox Sports 1 now. Another generic sports channel full of bore like kickboxing and baseball, leaving us car guys to watch Joe Elmore install a Bullydog tuner and do LS1 upgrades to a 92' Mustang on Horsepower TV. :rolleyes:

I'll be watching most if not all of it on my computer. Last year they put the remaining hours of the race on tape delay, so I already know who won.

Also, the fuel mixture is different at LeMans. The motors have been tweeked to run E15.

--RS

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT Motorsports adjusting to Le Mans

Riley Technologies’ Past Experiences Help Lead SRT Motorsports Back to Le Mans

MOORESVILLE, N.C. (Wednesday, June 12, 2013) – Following Sunday’s successful test day, SRT Motorsports and Riley Technologies are taking advantage of the 10-day break until on-track activities resume on Wednesday, June 19, for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The 90th anniversary of the first event in 1923 is set for June 22-23.

Despite the 10-day dark period of on-track activity, crew members are using the time adjusting to life away from home and the many nuisances associated with traveling overseas. At the same time, the team of engineers are sifting through the valuable data collected Sunday.
Preparation is the key. It started at the Riley Technologies facility in Mooresville, N.C., in February when SRT Motorsports received an invitation from the ACO. Now the focus is on race week with the final tweaks to the race cars and the mental and physical preparation to successfully handle the 40 straight hours the team faces during the race weekend.

#53 SRT Motorsports Viper SRT GTS-R at scrutineering
Photo by: Eric Gilbert

Race week activities kick into high gear Sunday with a two-day administrative check and scrutineering (inspection) for all 61 entries. Drivers will meet spectators for an autograph session on pit lane Tuesday afternoon. The first of two practices sessions is scheduled for Wednesday. “We have been here a week and came pretty well prepared so we haven’t had too many late nights,” said Bill Riley, vice president and chief engineer at Riley Technologies. “The team is doing well.
“Adjusting to Le Mans isn't difficult at all. With the internet, everyone is staying in touch with everyone back home. We are using the same caterer that we use at the long races in the U.S. so there are a lot of familiar faces around the paddock.”

Endurance racing is nothing new for Riley Technologies as company-built cars have won the last seven overall championships in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. The passion to win is shared by the 50-plus team members making the trip to France. The only difference is balancing the strains of the 4,000-mile trip and lifestyle of Le Mans.

“We do have a lot endurance experience, championships and wins,” he added. “Racing at Le Mans is a bit different. We have raced here several times but it is always a challenge. The Viper is so special and has such a great history, we are hoping all the blood, sweat and tears will pay off.”
Preparation, attention to detail and a positive mental attitude are all key attributes that drive the Riley Technologies efforts for Le Mans. The traveling crew is a mixture of first timers and veterans. Riley explained the importance of attitude.

“If you go over there with the attitude that you’re not going to have a good time, then you’re not going to have a good time,” he said. “If you go over there with the attitude you’re going to have a good time, then you’re going to have a good time.”

Riley oversees the two identically-prepared SRT Viper GTS-Rs making their return to the Le Mans stage for the first time since finishing one-two in the GTS (now called LM GTE Pro class) class three consecutive years – 1998-2000.

“It’s a huge honor and privilege to be involved in this race in any way, shape or form,” Riley said. “And it’s a huge honor to represent SRT Motorsports with the return of the Viper.”

With the world watching the highly-anticipated return of Viper to the Circuit de la Sarthe stage, Riley’s keen eye for detail is evident in the quest to conquer the ultimate test of speed, efficiency and endurance. Le Mans is the focus but there’s also attention to the return to competition in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS).

“The biggest challenge is yet to come,” Riley added. “The green flag at Lime Rock is 13 days after the checker at Le Mans. We need to ship everything back and prep two cars after a grueling race. The team will get one day off before it starts again.”

And so goes the life of a race team.

SRT Motorsports

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the times from the second (better weather) session on test day. Clearly, plenty for the engineers to work on:

I am re-evaluating my expectations :-|

Test Day Session 2 Results
(Quickest Lap Time During Session)

1. No. 99 Aston Martin Vantage V8 3:59.148

2. No. 97 Aston Martin Vantage V8 3:59.188

3. No. 91 Porsche 911 RSR 3:59.420

4. No. 98 Aston Martin Vantage V8 3:59.574

5. No. 92 Porsche 911 RSR 4:00.034

6. No. 73 Corvette C6-ZR1 4:00.108

7. No. 74 Corvette C6-ZR1 4:00.319

8. No. 71 Ferrari 458 Italia 4:01.224

9. No. 93 Viper GTS-R 4:01.734

10. No. 53 Viper GTS-R 4:03.281

11. No. 51 Ferrari 458 Italia 4:03.494

12. No. 66 Ferrari 458 Italia 4:09.862

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From www.drivesrt.com

Unique format greets SRT[SUP]®[/SUP] Motorsports team at Le Mans.

Posted on Jun 15, 2013

The 24 Hours of Le Mans is often described as an animal unto itself. Unique rules/formats that are only used once a year present added variables to the already countless challenges that drivers and teams face when competing at Circuit de la Sarthe in the world’s biggest sports car race. Returning to the historic event for the first time in over a decade this year, the SRT[SUP]®[/SUP] Motorsports team has been meticulously preparing for many of the obstacles that they may encounter at Le Mans.
You must be registered for see images

First and foremost on that list is the track which measures 8.469-miles from start-to-finish. Other than Le Mans, the largest venue the pair of Viper GTS-Rs race at all season is the 3.74-mile Sebring International Raceway in Florida — home of the 12 Hours of Sebring. Various concessions and adaptations are made to the cars to ensure reliability and durability for the duration of the 24-hour contest.
“The venue at Le Mans is quite a bit different because you are putting the car in a situation that you don’t at U.S. tracks, because of the long, long straightaways,” said Matt Bejnarowicz, Viper Racing Lead Engineer. “You are standing on the throttle for a large part of the track. It puts more stress into the engine and driveline and probably less on the chassis than a place like Sebring would.”

In terms of format, a practice/test day was held at Le Mans on June 9, which marked the only time the cars were afforded track time prior to the practice/qualifying sessions that are scheduled for Wednesday, June 19 and Thursday, June 20. Another major difference at Le Mans compared to traditional ALMS races is that practice and qualifying sessions are combined on those two days, including a couple of night sessions. Following qualifying, tire changes are allowed, providing cars the chance to start the race on fresh rubber.
“We’ll approach the qualifying sessions as more of a practice, just because of our lack of experience there and we need to get as much track time as we can to feel the cars out,” said Bejnarowicz. “Conditions typically determine when people qualify and what their times are. You always want to start as close to the front as you can, but obviously in a 24-hour race, qualifying is not quite as important as it was at a place like Long Beach earlier this season.”

Split safety cars are another unique part of the race format at Le Mans. When a caution flag is displayed the track is split in two and a safety car will pick up one half of the track and a second safety car will take the other half of the track. Luck determines where that safety car comes out and oftentimes can lead to losing a lap on track.
The biggest physical change the pair of SRT Viper GTS-Rs faced for Le Mans was under the hood, as E10 is the spec fuel for the race versus E85 that is used in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). To compensate for this, different engine specifications are required when building the powerplants for the event. Prior to shipping cars and equipment to France, the SRT Motorsports team put an engine on a dyno for a 40-hour durability test that included starts and stops to simulate pit stops, heat soak and cool down.
“E85 is actually tougher on an engine for things like wear than E10 is,” explained Dick Winkles, SRT Viper Powertrain Engineer. “E85 has a higher octane rating, so we have to drop the compression and we have to recalibrate the engine for E10. We change the valves and pistons and things like that so they wear a little better.”

While similar in the basic concept and function, pit stops at Le Mans vary from an ALMS race. The main reason is that only two crew members (versus four) at a time are allowed to work on the car, using just one air gun at a time to change wheels/tires. Also, the car has to be fueled first, before wheels/tires can be changed and finally dropped from the air jack.
“It’s quite a bit of choreography, performing pit stops at Le Mans,” Bejnarowicz noted. “The pit stops will take a little longer because of the wheel changes. We’ll probably be double-stinting tires, because that’s normally what people do at Le Mans. That also changes up your strategy a little bit, because you are not punishing the tires as much because of the long straightaways.”

Another unique rule for the 24 Hours of Le Mans mandated by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) is that all drivers making their first start in the event must complete a “Rookie Test.” For the SRT Viper GTS-R team that meant Jonathan Bomarito and Kuno Wittmer each had to turn 10 laps on the test day of June 9 to be approved for competition. They each successfully completed this task. Tommy Kendall, since he had not raced at Le Mans, since 2000, also had to take part in this process as a “refresher.”

At Le Mans, drivers must complete a specified amount of time in the car to be qualified as a finisher by the governing body. There also is a maximum amount of drive time allowed, but that window is significantly higher. Driver changes at Le Mans are usually determined by pit stop sequence, tire changes and caution flag periods. A key at Le Mans is to keep drivers fresh from the time they climb out of the car until they climb back in.
Part of what makes Le Mans so interesting and challenging are the one-off rules and format procedures that play into the aura of the event.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take any test results with a grain of sand for now. As Matt said, LeMans is more of a equipment and durability test more so than a drivers race. Not to say that the driver element of racing there would be missing, it's definitely there considering a Ferrari or two has crashed into a lead Audi or Toyota the last two years, but it's going to interesting to see how the cars do in a race longer than 12 hours. Sebring was a great race to gather data. That last 1/4 of LeMans before the start/finish, you could almost go WOT and fly through there but you have to pay attention to your entrance and exit to your corners and just play with the throttle. That bit Corvette in the rear one year.

3 races in to the ALMS season, the cars have shown improvement and unfortunately there's been some tiny gremlins here and there. Ryan and Ralph both told me they would like to see both cars to really finish, that's the goal. But Ryan said he be lying if they weren't going for the win.

I'm curious myself about the performance of the cars.

--RS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen